Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '69 1.1L (dual Solex) starts easily from cold, but struggles to start when warm. Is there a recommended procedure for warm starting these little engines?

·
Vendor
3,024 Posts
This was an issue with all of the GTs (4) that I've owned over the years, but they were all 1.9's with Weber carbs and mechanical fuel pumps. I'm a bit surprised to hear that it is also an issue for the 1.1's. I think an electric fuel pump seems to help (at least with the 1.9's) but for me (and I'm not sure why this worked) I found that pressing the accelerator ~ 50% while cranking always seemed to work. It would crank a little longer than a cold start, but would always catch after 5-6 seconds. If I tried to start it with the pedal to the floor or without giving it some fuel, it would crank but not catch. Not really consistent with flooding or vapour lock, so hard to say why this would work.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick response. I changed to electric fuel pump after getting the car, so I never really experienced the problem with the mechanical pump. Maybe my observation of "struggling" is skewed. It starts in 5-6 seconds which seemed to me too long compared to the immediate cold start (w/choke). Thanks again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts