Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Regarding Gasket sets from CKS. Here we are Opels Unlimited the watch dogs for the entire Opel Industry and we are declaring these gaskets absolute junk after installing the head gasket ourselves and testing on famous hillbilly dyno led to leaking all around. Absolutely a sun-dried hardened piece of junk, leaking water from all around all sides, after hundreds of dollars labor to install properly. We are issuing a public warning on this head gasket, intake gasket and even the rear main seal. All publically called out as one of the worst things for the Opel Industry ever. We are over one month trying our money back. Both for the first gasket set and the following gasket sets that we ordered but returned because we are absolutely not willing to carry in stock. This is a public warning as well as our personal response, we want our money back and want nothing to do with the gaskets in the future. Even worst stories. Don't buy this product.
Todd Martin
Opels Unlimited

·
Registered
2,497 Posts

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Step back and look at the broader picture, to consider what is really going on here.

Problems are deeper than name-calling, when it comes to Opel owners being sold bogus engine projects for many thousands of dollars. The victim in that linked thread later sold his car and gave up the Opel hobby, in part because he got so completely burned on that purchase.

Now gaskets sets bought on the cheap on Ebay are being installed into engine builds.

We know greater durability is found (generally) in higher-priced name-brand gasket sets, compared to (for example) the generic sets from knock-off artists located somewhere in Turkey. Is the intent here not so much product evaluation, as it is maximizing mark-up margins?

Rather than complete gasket failure, could it instead be a more likely scenario of an un-certified mechanic not installing the timing cover o-ring (which would cause symptoms identical to those described), either by accident or for some other reason?

So should these words about CKS be taken at face value? Wise persons say "consider the source".
In this case, another question could be: Who's watching the "watchdog"?

·
Über Genius
8,937 Posts
Never heard of CKS

EDIT~~~~~~~~~~~

If CKS is the supplier located in Turkey, I have experience with the gaskets.
Yes, the cork gaskets are hard. Tossed them.
Yes, we also had a problem with the head gasket sealing the cooling system. It was torqued a few times and (after shortening the head bolts as the head was shaved) all was well. We attributed the head gasket sealing problem as the head bolts bottoming out in the block.

The paper gaskets are fine and fit really well. The front and rear main seal shows no sign of leaking.

·
Über Genius
8,937 Posts
Soak them in water and they'll be as good as new.

Harold
Interesting.
Even the cork/rubber ones?

Won't the gasket shrink after installed or will oil keep it puffed?

·
Super Moderator
8,156 Posts
Cork comes from trees and over time dries and shrinks. I've revived 'several' old stock valve cover gaskets by throwing them in a tub of hot water. I don't really know if the hot water speeds the process up or not, but in my mind it does. :)

Harold

P.S. I didn't answer the cork/rubber part of the question but I would think the rubber wouldn't be as prone to drying out, so reviving the cork part of the gasket would probably be good enough.

·
Opel Key Master
5,017 Posts
It is funny who is the self proclaimed "watchdog"

I recently received a rechromed front bumper from the watchdog that is wavy, the mounts were not installed at the correct distances, and the whole thing looks tweeked, but I only suggested to the watchdog to find another chrome plater, and not posted this until now

·
Über Genius
8,937 Posts
It is funny who is the self proclaimed "watchdog"

I recently received a rechromed front bumper from the watchdog that is wavy, the mounts were not installed at the correct distances, and the whole thing looks tweeked, but I only suggested to the watchdog to find another chrome plater, and not posted this until now
I'm always wary of watchdogs that say don't buy a product from so and so. And five minutes later (or two sentences) they mention they sell a better version.

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
Interesting.
Even the cork/rubber ones?

Won't the gasket shrink after installed or will oil keep it puffed ?
You'll need to shrink the gasket.
I use two teaspoons of alum in 1/3 gallon of agua.
Let it soak for the appropriate amount of time
Then have at it.

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
and why do they keep insisting on calling an engine stand a dyno, even after being told many times by many different people. r they thick
Nic this group is a bunch of old farts that likes to play games.
Mostly word games.

The one with the longest meaningless word count wins.: chuckle

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
this group is a bunch of old farts that likes to play games with New Opelers.
Mostly word games.

The one with the longest meaningless word count wins.: chuckle
fixed it for you Jimblow
Right back at you...I must admit that your half way correct.

This one is off the wall in more ways than one.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts