Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the GT back from body and paint- finally. Had to have it trailered to the house as it wouldn't start at the body shop. Drove it in but couldn't drive it out. Seems the shop tried to charge the battery by hooking the charger to the battery backwards- cooked the battery and the alternator along with a bunch of melted wires. Shop owner won't return my calls-suprise!!
Well anyway- everything is put back on and the electrical will be hooked back up tommorrow. I want to wash the new paint Friday as I have sweated all over it and there is a car show this Sat. My question is- is there a recommened procedure to wash and wax new paint? It is a poly paint- Porshea red and is about 2 weeks old. I know that I need a high carnuba content in the wax but am looking for recommendations. :cool:

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Tom, Every time I've asked the question, when can I wash and wax the car after a new paint job, I get the same answer, "wait for 30 days, for the paint to finish breathing/curing and flowing out". HTH.

·
Super Moderator
5,927 Posts
I was told, years ago, that frequent washing with cold water, with as little abrasion as possible (ie, no brushes!), was the thing to do. And NO wax or protectants for at least 6 months.

Now this was before clear coat systems, but the principles still seem to make sense.

·
239 Posts
Heard the same here! Rinse only for 1st. 30 days!!!

I've always been told the same as the others have quoted! You risk the chance of scratching even if you used mild soap and water and sponge as the paint is till too soft for the first 30 days! Best thing you could do is rinse for now and park her in the sunshine to help speed up the cure time!!! Don't even think of waxing at this point!!! Shouldn't need wax anyway with new paint!!! :eek:

·
Senior Contributor
730 Posts
Okay, I got to say this, as I have some experience: 18.5 years painting Ks. Air Ntl Guard KC135 (stretched Boeing 707's) tankers w/ 2-part poly. Poly hardens by a chemical reaction to part A & B, sometimes with an assist with Part C (an excelerator). The older paints like laquer used the evaporation process and standard enamel hardened with a bit of both (mostly evap. though). After 2 days in the hangers, off they go for a flight and back down for a wash and wax. After 2 weeks, I'd say it's set. Especially if it's been sitting in a hot garage, which give it a "bake". If you feel the need, I'd say use very soft & thick cotton rags and a small amount of mild soap and rinse well. Apply a nice, soft wax paste in the shade. After that, sit back with a cold beverage of your choice and enjoy the view.

·
Registered
275 Posts
May be too late on this but you need to know if your finish was baked-on or infrared used. Or not. That can change the cure time significantly. The curing processes are not 'breathing' truly; the process includes out- gassing and oxygen combining with the hardener/s and catalyst.
IMHO, washing is fine, in the shade, cool water, mild soap, soft cloth. Wait on the waxing/polishing until approximately 30 - 90 days and then no silicone or super polymers (makes any paint touch-ups a b$!#h due to the penetration of all the paint layers).
Like Old Hippie I have seen the waxing done almost immediately on the new jobs. Can't say I know anything about the long term effects personally though the consensus is the possibility of clouding/hazing and dulling down the line - even in the space of several months.
Probably the safest thing would be to wait on waxing but I'd go for the washing.

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Best Practice

"The paint will never be any better than the day it was painted" I was told by the MasterCraftsman who did mine. "Leave it as long as possible - at least three months - before using Meguiar's Polishing system" HTH

1 - 7 of 7 Posts