Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
4ZUA787
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i have had a lill bad luck these past few days a day or so ago my alternator/water pump belt broke and i was luckily cloese enough to a gas station were i knew the owner so i pull in and show him the broken belt and ask him do u have one thats close to this, and hes like ahhhh for that fiat and i was like no its an opel and he was like let me see so he comes back and hands me a belt that looked about the right size, so he gave me some tools and i changed the belt it kinda worked but not realy, well it got me home well today im driving and i notice that my temp gauge is in the red so i stop and check coolant level which i couldnt really tell if it still had water in it but i new it wasnt full, so i was like ill just call AAA and tow it home so i get it home and i find that the belt i had orderd had already gotten there the right one i put it on and started my gt up ran good but still over heating so i fill radiator with water and find i have a hole now in the bottom of my radiator, so i pull it out and put one in that i had around didnt no its condition but it seems to work but now my temp gauge is running a bar befor the red and i was wonder if i may have toasted my temp sender when i overheated?? any one have any clues i already checked the wires.

·
1000 Post Club
4,117 Posts
You may of toasted your thermostat or the radiator you installed is plugged. Run the engine without any thermostat and if the temp still goes up, you have a bad radiator.

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
Opels don't like it hot

Or, much worse, you may have cracked the head when it overheated and now hot exhaust is getting into the coolant and the guage is correct. Opel motors often respond this way to overheating.

·
4ZUA787
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well i tried a lilttle something i put a small water bottle down by the battery and ran the overflow house into it then started my gt and ran it till it got to the red zone, let it stay for a min or so then turned it off waited and looked to see if anything came out and into the bottle nothing, well my problem was that i needed to still add about an 1/8 of a quart of water to my radiator it wasnt exactly full into were the cap goes on then i started my gt let it ran with the cap off then put cap back on took it for a spin and it works great now, its even running a tad bit cooler then befor or maybe its the fog that i was driving but i found my problem i am still thinking bout getting a new temp sensor any specifcis of what i should get or should i just call ogts?? thanks for the input.

·
1000 Post Club
4,117 Posts
OGTS should be able to provide you with a sensor. I'd still try to run it without a thermostat and see what temperature you read. If the thermostat is stuck closed, your radiator will remain cool while the engine is overheating.

At the minimum, order a new thermostat and gasket when your order the sensor. They are cheap. Heating a thermostat when dry can cause it to stick.

·
1,219 Posts
You haven't found the problem! A radiator that is only low by 1/8 of a quart will not run hot. sounds like a sticking thermostat. Probably intermittent. spend $5 and avoid the possibility of wrecking your engine.

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
i will advise the same as dmcbrass, 1/8 quart low will not overheat a car. when your motor gets warm the water and parts expand, and your radiator will actually push water out, and hence that could be your 1/8 quart low, but as soon as it got to opperating temp when everything expanded again, it would occur full. Opels do not like it hot, i had non ending bad luck with overheating, and overheating wiped out 2 out of 3 motors i blew in my frist GT, all 3 motors within 2 weeks. 1st was junk, smoked, knocked, 2 holes with no comression and no oil pressure. so i beat the hell out of it until it died. the other one a hose clamp busted, got hot, never was right after that. the next got hot 3 times and spun a rod bearing. i'd get another radiator that you know is good (i have one if you'd like to try it) and i would either run without a thermostat or get a brand new one. try the thermostat first, its cheapest then move to new radiator if its not good enough.

·
4ZUA787
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well all what i have done is i am running the radiator right now that i do not no its previous stauts but has worked for the whole day fine, so what im gonna do is take the bad one with the hole get it all re-done and then put it in my thermostate is still reading a little below middle point, it had always been at exactly middle with the old radiator, well thanx for all the info i will put in new thermostat when i put in the re-done raditor and also hopeflly put in a new temp sense. ill let yah all no what happens when i get it all back to normal again, and thanks for the advice.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts