Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok what is the trick to get the waterpump off. My engine is out of the car, and the tranny is not hooked up. So my problem is trying to remove the pulley thats hooked to the engine. I need to remove it to get to the lower bolt on the water pump. I can't find a way to stop the engine from turning whlie i try to take the bolt out of the pulley wheel?

·
Super Moderator
13,844 Posts
opelagain said:
I can't find a way to stop the engine from turning whlie i try to take the bolt out of the pulley wheel?
If you have access to an impact wrench, that method seems to work the quickest. Otherwise, you need to have the flywheel in place and then you can insert a screwdriver through the timing pointer 'window' and hold the flywheel from moving that way.

HTH,
Bob

·
Super Moderator
13,844 Posts
opelagain said:
thanks for the info. The window has the pointed thing in it right?
Yup, that's it!

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
While my engine was out of the car, and I was replacing the front crank seal, I ran into the same problem. Transmission and bellhousing were off too. I found a small piece of scrap angle iron, ground one side to fit one tooth on the flywheel, aligned it to fit the upper starter bolt hole, marked the hole, drilled the hole in the angle iron a little oversized, put the starter bolt in, tightened it up and proceeded to remove and later install the crank bolt. Gotta improvise at times. Just a thought that worked for me. Jarrell

·
1000 Post Club
4,117 Posts
If you have a boxed end wrench(craftsman 10/11mm), you can remove the bolt without removing the crank pulley. I have done this many times in my various mantas and GT.

Caution!! Dont overtighten this bolt when you put it back in. It is threaded into the aluminum timing cover and is easy to strip. If you do strip it, get the next longer bolt from the hardware store and you will have enough thread to reattach.

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Another quick trick is use a box end wrench on the pulley and hit the end of it with a hammer. Manual impact wrench so to speak.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts