Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
3,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Traditional Grand Prix Festival in Watkins Glen will be held this year on the September 7th. Last year three Opels participated (Jeff, Dave and myself) seen by 25,000 spectators. It was a lot of fun and I hope that more Opels will participate this year.

This year’s event schedule shows two events where our Opels will fit:

Glenora Run http://grandprixfestival.com/glenrun.html
Founder’s Tour http://grandprixfestival.com/founders.html

I participated at both events and would suggest Founder’s Tour which includes spectacular scenic cruise.

Note, number of participants is limited and the list usually fills-up by mid February, so if you are interested apply as soon as possible.

3,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Usually just two Opels, Dave and I (with better halves), last year Jeff joined us with his son. Opels always attract a lot of attention. This is not a car show, although at the end of event cars are exhibited for visitors to enjoy.
This is full day event, cruise, lunch, laps on original WG circuit and opportunity to watch US Vintage Grand Prix which is the largest vintage racing event United States Vintage Grand Prix - Watkins Glen International
Duane is usually there for the whole weekend watching the race with his family.
Not to forget, Finger Lakes area is gorgeous and it is worth visiting by itself. Number of visitors speaks for itself and the hotels are usually booked months ahead of the event.
This is the reason for my advance notice.

Attachments

· Senior Contributor
5,199 Posts
I can't plan anything for this year, including Carlisle. If all goes as I want it too my Wife and I will be living in our house in Florida sometime this summer or early fall. It all depends on how quickly our NY house sells. It's going to be a long drive to all the Opel events except for the ones in Georgia. I am done with the below zero weather. :yup:

· Registered
2,631 Posts
I can't plan anything for this year, including Carlisle. If all goes as I want it too my Wife and I will be living in our house in Florida sometime this summer or early fall. It all depends on how quickly our NY house sells. It's going to be a long drive to all the Opel events except for the ones in Georgia. I am done with the below zero weather. :yup:
I don't know about FL, but here in Phoenix I woke up to frost on my windshield yesterday! :shocked: I also forgot that you don't use the windshield washer to help clear the frost off! About 2 seconds after I hit that button my brain cells went to work. :pat: Just after that I had to find the window scraper that I had when living in the mountains in NM and "brute force" the whole thing off! :censored:

Doug

· Senior Contributor
5,199 Posts
I don't know about FL, but here in Phoenix I woke up to frost on my windshield yesterday! :shocked: I also forgot that you don't use the windshield washer to help clear the frost off! About 2 seconds after I hit that button my brain cells went to work. :pat: Just after that I had to find the window scraper that I had when living in the mountains in NM and "brute force" the whole thing off! :censored:

Doug
Yes but the cold only lasted 3 hours not 3 weeks! It was below freezing at my home in FL too for a few days in the mornings, I can handle that. I don't have to shovel cold.

· Registered
1,129 Posts

Doug
Use a little rubbing alcohol to get the ice off.

· Senior Contributor
1,573 Posts
Traditional Grand Prix Festival in Watkins Glen will be held this year on the September 7th. Last year three Opels participated (Jeff, Dave and myself) seen by 25,000 spectators. It was a lot of fun and I hope that more Opels will participate this year.

This year’s event schedule shows two events where our Opels will fit:

Glenora Run http://grandprixfestival.com/glenrun.html
Founder’s Tour http://grandprixfestival.com/founders.html

I participated at both events and would suggest Founder’s Tour which includes spectacular scenic cruise.

Note, number of participants is limited and the list usually fills-up by mid February, so if you are interested apply as soon as possible.

I would of probably went last year. Sounds Like Fun . It would of be nice if we had a Group Camping spot or a Host Lodge for the Opel Group for the weekend. Better to stay as a group :yup: and also the costs for the trip and Race Event fee's,,hotels,fuel, Bench Racing too etc it costs like a Carlisle event to attend... something to think about
But Driving the Glen Race Track must of been cool..
Maybe set up a Poll again JMHO

· Master Story Teller & Fabricator
17,656 Posts

Doug

You need to get one of these babies:

Snow Ice Snow removal Winter Shovel

https://www.lakeside.com/Home-Impro...MIleC_uPHw2AIVWbjACh2_oQiHEAQYASABEgIPa_D_BwE

You'll have that ice off yer windshield in a jiffy!

But why stop there? Melt the snow off the paint while you're at it! Warm up the engine without even starting it! Defrost those frozen fuel lines in no time! Bugs in your radiator? Torch'em outta there!

During the rest of the year you can burn the spines offa them cacti in your garden, wienie-roast lizards on a stick, and you can even use it as a space heater for those chilly days when temps drop into the 90's!

:veryhappy

· Registered
2,631 Posts
You need to get one of these babies:

View attachment 351641

https://www.lakeside.com/Home-Impro...MIleC_uPHw2AIVWbjACh2_oQiHEAQYASABEgIPa_D_BwE

You'll have that ice off yer windshield in a jiffy!

But why stop there? Melt the snow off the paint while you're at it! Warm up the engine without even starting it! Defrost those frozen fuel lines in no time! Bugs in your radiator? Torch'em outta there!

During the rest of the year you can burn the spines offa them cacti in your garden, wienie-roast lizards on a stick, and you can even use it as a space heater for those chilly days when temps drop into the 90's!

:veryhappy
I've always used mine to roast hot dogs when camping. You know, the difference in emissions from the little concentrated fire vs a roaring bonfire multiplied by the 3 or 4 of us who do this spread over a few hundred millennia WILL add up! :yup:

I tried Timbo's suggestion a little later: a couple of shots of good rum added to my hot tea and I felt a lot better. Then I reread his comment and realized that I had misread his comment (but didn't really care then)! Besides, Mother Nature is my friend and she took it all away in an hour or so. .:eek:uttahere

Doug

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.