Opel GT Forum banner

201 - 220 of 258 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,717 Posts
When I follow your instructions, that does not work. I just get the same thing I described earlier.

But when I click the link you have there that says New Posts... that works.

Those are two different things somehow. How do I click something other than what you wrote, to get what you wrote?
I edited my instructions. Read them again... :)

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Sorry if I'm giving the wrong impression guys, I'm not having any usability problems with the site. It was only confusion about what the parenthesized number on the tab label represented.

·
Über Genius
8,874 Posts
I just saw the site without an adblocker and Jeebus H Christmas this site has almost as many ads as content.

What a mess!!

Does anyone ever even click an ad?

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,123 Posts
Where is the members list?

Pardon me for not reading back through the 205 posts in this thread to see if this subject was touched on. How do I find the Members List? I wanted to contact Klaus Priewe. I'm not even sure if he is a member here. I can't find an alphabetical listing of our members. This should NOT be something hard to find, but apparently it is.

Help please.

·
Administrator
10,005 Posts
Where is the members list?

Pardon me for not reading back through the 205 posts in this thread to see if this subject was touched on. How do I find the Members List? I wanted to contact Klaus Priewe. I'm not even sure if he is a member here. I can't find an alphabetical listing of our members. This should NOT be something hard to find, but apparently it is.

Help please.
I believe his username is Radnor. Not sure how often he visits here. It might be quicker to contact Klaus on Facebook.

·
Administrator
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #208
Who’s Online?

When you are reading a thread, you will see a green dot on the avatar of those who are online.

If you want to see everyone who is currently online (depending on their settings) you can find this information on the members page.

On the forum listing page or on any forum sections, you will see a Top Contributors box in the sidebar. Click on View All.

This will bring you to the Members page with options in the left sidebar, including who is online.

You can also search to find a member.

There is also a section that displays the newest members.

- Cricket

·
Registered
421 Posts
I see there is an update today, for premium membership.

Vertical Scope is now trying to act like they're volunteers or something, trying to make it seem like the forums are run on charity. "We’re introducing it as a way for members to give back to their communities".

I think that's rather disingenuous to basically solicit donations to a for-profit company. It misleads people into thinking that they're helping out the people running the community rather than making a payment to the Toronto Star media company. It's kind of embarrassing, an international media empire basically panhandling from individuals.

I notice there's really only 2 features:

"1 - A reduced ad site experience (banner ads are removed) "

... So not even no ads, just reduced ads. And..

"2 - Focused reading mode (the option to hide the right column)"

... which was one of the features we asked for.

So was that the point of this? You make changes to add this annoying right-side column, then ask us for feedback to see what we want changed, then when the feedback is to not have that column instead of "listening to feedback" like was pretended, you're going to make users pay to have it removed?

Is Tony going to help out by offering us "protection" for our community next, as long as our payments are in line?

·
Administrator
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #210
Hi there, @MattsAwesomeStuff - Thanks for letting us know your thoughts. The main reason for Premium membership is for those members who write to us asking how they can contribute to the support of the community. It is entirely optional. This model is something that's been used successfully in forum communities for a long time for those who choose to support the communities they love in this way.

The "reduced ad experience" wording is to make sure we are being as clear as possible - Most people think of the banner and side ads, when they think of wanting to be 'ad free'. Those are removed for Premium Members. But someone who thinks of vendor posts or other sponsored content as ads may think those will be removed by becoming a premium member. They might feel a bit hoodwinked to discover that's not the case, so we used the 'reduced ad experience' wording to prevent that.

The site will still be available, for free, for anyone who decides Premium Membership isn't something they are interested in. I'll pass your feedback regarding this to our product team for their review.

Tess

·
Registered
421 Posts
This model is something that's been used successfully in forum communities for a long time for those who choose to support the communities they love in this way.
Yes of course... for non-profit VOLUNTEER RUN grassroots forums that were founded to help serve the community by people who were passionate about it. You pass the hat around a few times a year and people chip in and help support the costs or maybe buy pizza and beer for the tech team who keep the site running. And those that really appreciate the hard volunteer work that goes into it sometimes feel "I've benefited a lot from this community and I'd like to give something back."

The support model isn't for fvckin' corporate sites that bought out those grassroots communities and stuffed them full of ads and sponsorships. Are they kidding? My bank doesn't have a donation bin at the front, hoping customers love their bank so much that they'll chip a little bit extra in for the bank's owners, because of how grateful they are to have that bank nearby.

That's just embarrassing.

Vertical Scope should be ashamed of themselves for even asking. The only people donating are people who don't understand who owns and operates the forums, they're mistakenly thinking they're actually giving to help the community out and showing their appreciation.

It's utterly tone deaf. I mean, par for the course, but, awkwardly tone deaf.

Sure glad I contributed feedback about parts of the new changes I didn't like, so that Vertical Scope can make sure those parts stick around unless we pay to get rid of them.

·
Über Genius
8,874 Posts
They asked what features we wanted, to make the site more enjoyable. Then offer the features for a price.

How generous.

We call that market research but apparently it's charity?

·
Can Opeler
3,260 Posts
I think it's a form of discrimination, people who can afford a premium account get a "wonderful" forum and the others a crappy forum full of junk
Or you get just get Adblock, it’s free.

·
Opeler
759 Posts
I have zero problems with the forum, and have zero intention of paying for a premium version. I just don’t get all the disdain for it.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
I have zero problems with the forum, and have zero intention of paying for a premium version. I just don’t get all the disdain for it.
Agreed,

I'm amazed how many people are flipping out about the forum, and make threats of leaving it. A few days later, they are on here posting and still actively using the forum . WTF?

If it's that bad just leave already....

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Agreed,

I'm amazed how many people are flipping out about the forum, and make threats of leaving it. A few days later, they are on here posting and still actively using the forum . WTF?

hahahahahahahaha I dare them to try it's like given up there devise LOL

·
Über Genius
8,874 Posts
Agreed,

I'm looking and posting less here, that's for sure.

I still find the juvenile layout distasteful. So much so that I NEVER look nor post in the other two forums, identical to this one (now) where I used to frequent daily.

If I weren't bored because of many variables, I'd probably post here even less.

I don't care if it doesn't bother (collectively) you. The fact is it DOES bother others.
I see far less postings here than before they switched to this format.

201 - 220 of 258 Posts