Opel GT Forum banner

141 - 160 of 210 Posts

·
Opeler
1,118 Posts
I don't like it. Same as other sites they have changed over to this crappy format. Ruined the user garages. Not user friendly. And SLOWWWWWWWWWWWWWW. That's all right. Just as other sites went down the toilet, I found other places to go. Reducing their web traffic. Yeah, they are gonna get SOOOOO rich. LMAO.
You all know where to find me if you want to chat or talk cars. bye.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Well that was a rather rude post. I've been a software/firmware engineer for 35 years so, no, tech doesn't scare me.

I didn't say I had problems with functionality. I said the design favors form over function and that the change will take some time to get used to.

For example, is it really necessary to take up a big chunk of screen space to show the number of posts and the number of members? I question if that is relevant to most members and, even if it was, a small counter on the bottom of the page or an information page could display it.

Similar for the big BBB and GDPR logos.

Real Human Factors engineers would jettison all of that junk.

·
Detroit,where my home was
2,891 Posts
I just had my son help me with the ad blocker plus
WOOO HOOO AD'S ARE GONE
Thank you 2 fast 4 u and others for the suggestion it's working great and makes the site look more normal fwiw
You're welcome :)

·
Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer
7,399 Posts
Seems a lot of content was dropped, especailly in the article area.

Also seems impossible to find a lot of stuff as the search is junk.

Seriously.. Worst of all links from Google.com now go to random pages and not the pages you were searching for or the front page.

Worse links that were to pages within the forum are also broken.. :

Opel GT Forum

This company didnt think to see if old links worked anymore.. or if all the content would carry over ?

I should delete my account and just post at Classicopels.com - Seriously that article was updated and was important..

HOW Fning hard would it be to at least keep the same navigation and not screw up all the data.. and delete all the data. Its one thing if its a matter of trying to learn a new GUI.. Its another if the data was scrambled and is now all hidden. If the search function works like crap and can't be updated by Google. The website as a repository for all our data might as well be a bunch of digital cardboard boxes throw in a closet.. you have to filter through manually.

I'm glad you all finally made an effort to upgrade the site.. just wish you hadnt broken it and made it damn near useless in the process.

BTW Can I can you to pull up the price guide and post if for me somewhere so I can see it. That was an article that was a few years old, but NOT just a few years old. it was updated 2-3 times and year and was indepth. Now its GONE... !

BTW if you didn't know ( and you should have.. ) these types of forums DO NOT WORK WELL ON MOBILE... !

So making it a MOBILE FIRST design is asinine.

·
Detroit,where my home was
2,891 Posts
I'm getting more and more the urge to leave this forum.

·
Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer
7,399 Posts
I'm getting more and more the urge to leave this forum.
I have for the most part, and from now on won't post anything new here. If I have anything to post for posperity it will be on classicsopels.com where the community has control of the website and the data.

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
1,089 Posts
I tried the serach function for the 1st time today.... Honestly, it works better for me with multiple word inputs (like 'head gasket thickness') than before. That is all I have tried so far.

·
Über Genius
8,763 Posts
I have for the most part, and from now on won't post anything new here. If I have anything to post for posperity it will be on classicsopels.com where the community has control of the website and the data.
I checked it out last night. I'm not feeling the layout there either. Don't know if I'll post there or not.

·
Opelnut
919 Posts
Strange Thru our the day I have tried to go to classicsopels.com and only gotten error some dns problem I think. will keep trying though

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
First impressions:
  1. Overall look is good, more modern.
  2. Some nice new features.
  3. The list of recent posts is too short. I really don't want to have to comb through each forum to see what is new.
  4. Posts are too wide, 30+ words. Column width no more than 10 words is recommended for print. Something closer to that would be much better, 80 characters max preferred. Most people have wide-screen monitors and it is a chore to read across the whole screen.
  5. Seems like there is a lot of wasted space. I think the top banner is too tall. Same with the trending photos.
Thanks for doing this.
Mike

·
Administrator
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #153
We will continue to see weekly updates (approximately) which are largely fueled by community feedback.

We won't get where we need to be overnight, but week by week, we will get there. :)

- Cricket

·
RunOpel
831 Posts
How do we add someone as a friend? I can find where friends I'm following and where others are following me, but I cant find where to ask a friend to be added to my friend list :)

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
1,089 Posts
What is the limit to the number Conversations (private message threads)?

BTW, on thing I will point out here that IMHO is good is that you can start a post in a thread, leave that thread completely, then come back and what you already wrote is still there. IDK if your 'start' on a post stays there forever, but that is convenient, especially if you have to go to another thread to check on something, and shares the same feature with another of my often used sites.

I still am irritated by the ad's between posts in a thread with the mini-avatar's that pose as legitimate posts. I keep getting caught by those. My request to move those ads elsewhere stands.

·
Administrator
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #156
How do we add someone as a friend? I can find where friends I'm following and where others are following me, but I cant find where to ask a friend to be added to my friend list :)
If you go to a member's profile, you can click to follow (friend) them.
follow_002.png

You can also just hover over their avatar within a thread and click to follow them on the small screen that opens.

Members you are following will display on your profile within the "about" tab.

- Cricket

·
RunOpel
831 Posts
So under the old way we had to ask to be a friend and this new way you just check the follow and they are added to your friends list?

·
Registered
244 Posts
I know I didn't hover the cursor over any ads, but my connection to this site continually gets corrupted. Navigates inadvertently to some "go go power rangers" bullshit. Doesn't matter which computer I'm on.
:poop:

·
Administrator
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #160
I know I didn't hover the cursor over any ads, but my connection to this site continually gets corrupted. Navigates inadvertently to some "go go power rangers" bullshit. Doesn't matter which computer I'm on.
:poop:
So far, I am unable to replicate this.

Can you tell me which device, operating system, and browser you are using? Is everything fully updated?

Have you tried clearing your cache?

- Cricket

141 - 160 of 210 Posts