Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Administrator
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Community Members,

Over the past year, there have been updates to your community environment that have introduced challenges in usability and performance. We sincerely apologize if you have been negatively impacted. Efforts to improve the technology, user interface, and site performance has revealed weaknesses in the platform and outdated software on the site. Once we started looking at how to address these issues, it became clear that we needed to determine how to fix the underlying problems.

We needed to improve user experience, site speed, and overall performance, all while providing a secure environment for you to interact with your community. For the past few months, we have been actively seeking a resolution to these issues.

We are excited to announce that we are upgrading your site!! We have been working with a design and product development team that has enhanced Xenforo software to provide a modern and much better-performing platform. Our goal is to deliver an experience that better fits the current and growing long term needs of your community.

The new platform is designed for efficiency, stability, and to be user-friendly across all devices, including mobile. More time can be spent engaging, sharing, and contributing to your favorite community no matter where you are!

This is just the first stage of the new platform and we look forward to hearing your feedback as we make regular and timely improvements.

Thank you for all your support!

~ Community Support

·
Administrator
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Dear Community Members,

We have posted previous messages announcing a new platform coming to your community that will provide a better experience, faster page speed and work seamlessly across all devices, including mobile. We are excited to announce that Opelgt.com will be migrated to our new platform on Monday, January 27th. The site will be in maintenance mode and in read-only while the migration is happening. This is expected site behavior as we move all the archived content over to the new sites. There should be no change in the content within your profile. All thread content will also be migrated to the new site. Your community may look a little different but all of the important information will still be there!

If for any reason there is a change of date, we will keep you updated on an alternative rollout schedule for the site migration. We look forward to your feedback on the new experience.

We appreciate your support!

~Community Support

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Well I'm new here and thought things were OK - little glitches I could live with
But COOOL I look forward to it
Thank you for all your efforts:You_Rock_

·
RunOpel
1,228 Posts
Thanks for making a better experience with this Opel community of awesome Opel lovers. The mention of improving mobile use is much desired. I have noticed using in the mobile mode is more difficult than using the computer.
Good luck with the migration.

·
Registered
494 Posts
This is something serious to be very concerned about.

For those that don't know... some history:

OpelGT.com must have been bought out from it's founder a few years ago by Autoguide, itself owned by Vertical Scope Inc.

Vertical Scope ran around buying basically every automotive-related forum/community a few years ago. The goal of which was to pack it full of ads and sell sponsorship influence as a bundle. So they'd approach places like RockAuto and say "We have 600+ different car communities with memberships totalling 300,000. When you advertise with us you get automated ads posted in the "Deals" forum, branding, etc in front of all of your customers."

I believe Vertical Scope is based in Toronto, Canada.

When they did these buyouts they committed to staying on top of issues and staying responsive to the community. To prevent problems before they happened. Too keep things running smoothly.

They've done the opposite.

To be as clear as I can possibly be... They are completely, and utterly incompetent. They're also liars and bull****ters.

Around 2 years ago, their tech "team" (more on that later) ineptly misunderstood both the timing, context and and impact of an announcement from Google, that led them to suddenly migrate every forum under their umbrella, simultaneously, with no testing.

As a result, a lot of these communities, (which weren't just out-of-the-box forums, many had customized sections to them) shut down, and some have never been restored. Those that survived basically lost 95% of their readership (from 3000 active members to under 200).

You couldn't post, create new threads, threads disappeared, just, completely botched.

And despite that, and begging us for our patience to resolve issues, that they were working on it as fast as possible, the first technical changes they made were to launch a series of new advertisements into the forum software.

Vertical Scope has lied to and manipulated just about anyone who inquires about it and what happened.

On another forum I participate on, we were told we were a "#1 Priority" for something like 8 months before they gave up. Basically half our website over there was a place called "The Garage", which was a database of everyone's custom vehicles they'd built or worked on. It was half the content of the website, half the reason you'd go to the website, the forums were more of an add-on to it. It was lost in the migration and, 2 years later, has still not been restored. Thousands of archived projects disappeared.

They haven't even fixed the links to it, you still get errors when you click on it. And yet, almost 2 years later, here they are making new changes rather than fixing the communities they destroyed 2 years ago.

We have tried:

- Communicating with them and staying on top of it.
- Offering to have our tech-savy volunteers fix the problem, been told yes, then told they're not allowed to have credentials to actually do any work.
- Posting links to the solution.
- Offering to buy the community back from Vertical Scope before it goes bankrupt (no one will answer that, and apparently calling their office doesn't get anywhere either).

... just about everything we could think of.

Eventually it came out that, there is no one on staff at Vertical Scope who is familiar with the programming language that half our website is written in and they can't afford to hire anyone who is. It appears that their tech "team", that administrates all these sites, may actually literally be one junior guy with zero experience (couldn't even read a memo from Google correctly, as in, they read the year of a non-deadline wrong and presumed it was a deadline when it wasn't, and then foolishly thought he could migrate hundreds of communities simultaneously), and that guy doesn't happen to know RubyonRails or whatever he would need to.

Do not trust these scumbags with our content and our community.

If you have content on this website that is important to you, I suggest backing it up somehow. Aside from archive.org scrapes, ours is lost forever.

I also recommend contacting anyone who advertises on this site, and asking them to pull their advertising due to the unscrupulous practices of the owners. It's really the only thing Vertical Scope listens to.

The CEO is Rob Laidlaw, and it's registered in the Cayman Islands. Just a scumbag tax dodger.

3 years ago Vertical Scope took on $200,000,000 dollars in debt to try to keep expanding and stay afloat.

·
Administrator
10,033 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
No. They have been changing others over the several months.
Well, I guess they learned from the last time at least.

Still haven't bothered to fix most of what they broke.

I don't know what they promised here, but on another forum, when they announced they'd bought it, they made a big announcement about things would be so much better under the new ownership. They said:

"We bring reliability, support and the infrastructure needed to ensure that the community will be around for years to come. It’s our goal to work with your board staff to help provide the resources and required to give this community a broader reach, to attract new members to better the overall knowledge shared in the community.

What am I here for?

My primary role is to be the technical contact as I said earlier you all built the foundation and keep the roof from falling, I am here keeping the lights on inside. I will be on the forum checking in daily to make sure regular maintenance is all taken care of and keep things running smoothly from behind the scenes."

I presume they made a similar promise to this community here. And yet, did they ever provide support or infrastructure? Have they provided resources to grow the community and attract new members? Have they even done basic maintenance like running update patches? Nowhere that I've found have they ever done that. Let alone that they destroyed the infrastructure permanently and crippled the forum so you couldn't even post for several months, just, even in terms of being a forum otherwise. I've found it's run worse with paid staff than when it was being handled by amateur volunteers.

Hopefully our community here is handled better and they don't emphasize packing in more and more advertisements and sponsorship intrusions.

Do keep and eye on it though. We had things like, we lost years of content, and only found out because some people had links to specific threads that didn't exist anymore, and Vertical Scope was denying it and saying it was all fixed. People seeing they had 1000 posts but only 200 came up in their post history. Stuff like that.

·
Senior Contributor
4,971 Posts
Reactions: dpre and rrossjr

·
Vendor
2,566 Posts
It's working now.......
Yes, I think I just have bad timing. :yup:
I took a look around the site, and read some of the comments from the users
regarding the new software. It's fair to say that most of those who commented
were not happy, but I sort of expected that since it takes a while
to adapt to any change. I didn't see any comments about problems with the migration,
so I think that the unhappy ones simply preferred the old software. I am glad that the
site owners are investing in OpelGT.com, and am hopeful that most of us here will
stick around after the change.
Cheers,
Ron in Indy

·
Über Genius
8,918 Posts
I have a feeling the comfortable look and feel, that I've enjoyed for 15 years or so, is going to disappear.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
The top header (I believe the top header of the forum was played with when the new owners took over; or some other change they instituted during their time of ownership) met a lot of disapproval here when it was tinkered with.

Have the owners or the site tech folks responsible for these changes done any talking as to getting input from Gary or the current moderators? I hope so.

The Main Tech Forums, a labor of love in itself, is based on the factory service manual's structure. To remove or modify it in any shape or form should be a hands-off thing for the IT folks; as well as about every other forum header title on the site. I believe a heck of a lot of time was devoted by Gary and the mods, years and years, in perfecting this format.

The ideal thing would be to keep things exactly as they are, with whatever safety or hacking tools installed as to be invisible to me, the reader. Oh, and fix that darn thing where I click on page 2,3,4 of any current thread and the screen goes to Page Not Found..... that'd be a great start.

·
Administrator
10,033 Posts
The top header (I believe the top header of the forum was played with when the new owners took over; or some other change they instituted during their time of ownership) met a lot of disapproval here when it was tinkered with.

Have the owners or the site tech folks responsible for these changes done any talking as to getting input from Gary or the current moderators? I hope so.

The Main Tech Forums, a labor of love in itself, is based on the factory service manual's structure. To remove or modify it in any shape or form should be a hands-off thing for the IT folks; as well as about every other forum header title on the site. I believe a heck of a lot of time was devoted by Gary and the mods, years and years, in perfecting this format.

The ideal thing would be to keep things exactly as they are, with whatever safety or hacking tools installed as to be invisible to me, the reader. Oh, and fix that darn thing where I click on page 2,3,4 of any current thread and the screen goes to Page Not Found..... that'd be a great start.
The main page will definitely change. The forums should remain in the same format.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.