Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That's the good news. The bad news (aside from the fact that our beloved brother/brother in law passed on last summer) is that it's in pieces and neither of us are mechanics. A friend was going to take but the deal fell through due to lack garage space and time-he estimated that it would take a couple of years, at least (as a part time amateur mechanic).
We would love to keep it and get it running. Any ideas /advice on where to start and what the cost could be (a lot, I know) to have a pro restore it? Or should we just try to sell off the pieces? Thanks, anything you guys can tell us will be greatly appreciated.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,956 Posts
We would really need pictures to give you any advice. Pics would answer our questions about whether body work is needed, redoing the interior, and the general state of it's disassembly.

·
Super Moderator
9,719 Posts
One thing that would help is to give us the location in MN you are, as there can be a member close by, or close enough by that scheduling a few weekends may make the problem more solvable.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We would really need pictures to give you any advice. Pics would answer our questions about whether body work is needed, redoing the interior, and the general state of it's disassembly.
Hi-
Thanks for your response. I'l send some pictures in the next few days.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One thing that would help is to give us the location in MN you are, as there can be a member close by, or close enough by that scheduling a few weekends may make the problem more solvable.
Hi-
Thanks for your response. We are in the Minneaposli/St Paul metro area, if that helps.

·
Dale Chilton Sr.
47 Posts
If U need help, I live in S st paul mn

Hi-
Thanks for your response. We are in the Minneaposli/St Paul metro area, if that helps.
Dale Jr. and I are the Opel guys in town, we have 7 Opel GT's
We are working on a customers car now, he blew a head gasket, needed a tranny, which we had an extra good tranny.
If U need any help at all give us a call, The Dale's

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks-here are some pictures

Dale Jr. and I are the Opel guys in town, we have 7 Opel GT's
We are working on a customers car now, he blew a head gasket, needed a tranny, which we had an extra good tranny.
If U need any help at all give us a call, The Dale's
Hi- Here are some pictures. The body is very solid (a friend looked at it-any rust has been fixed and it's almost ready to be painted. Brother in law liked to do bodywork.) Right now, there's nothing under the hood! We have the engine and transmission, and the interior is full of parts - go figure. The car is right W. St. Paul, so not too far from you. Let me know what you think. I 'll give you a call later this week. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,956 Posts
What's going on with those, apparently home made, rear wheel flares? They seem incomplete. They are very odd and may detract from the car's worth. Or not. Can you take some better pics of them? It's had commonly available fiberglass ground effects added between the wheels, but the rest of the car seems stock and pretty good based on what we can see.

Pictures of what the underneath looks like and/or pictures of the floor boards from inside the car are important when evaluating GT's. Whether you have all or most of the parts to complete the car is very important, too. Finally, determining if a lot of sections of the car have been replaced or filled with putty, instead of relatively minor putty fills on an otherwise perfectly intact body, rounds it out.

Assuming no bad reviews in those respects and the car's state of disassembly, I'd value it at no more than $2000.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts