Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know the dimensions of the steel lip lining the door frame on a gt that the weatherstripping attaches to? If I can get an idea without having to rip the remaining weatherstripping out, i would much appreciate it. Also, should I use a 3/8 or 5/8" bulb for the weatherstripping (how much room is there between the lip and the door)?

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Matt, this is a recording, OGTS has the weatherstriping available in lengths to do both doors, and it is the correct style. Got some for my GT, in fact I got almost everything for the GT from them. As Gil said last year at OMC, I bought out the store on GT parts. Check out their catalog. :D

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea, I saw they're selection of seals in the catalog. The only thing that pushes me away from them is the fact that you can get like 20 feet of weatherstripping of any size for next to nothing, all you need to know is a generic size. I dont rememeber exactly what the price was on the weatherstripping in the ogts catalob, but something tells me it was pretty high. And it really bothers me how they jack up prices. I'd be willing to bet that they did exactly what I'm doing, find the right size, cut it to fit certain parts of the car and put a "Pre-cut Opel GT Seal" tag on it with a pretty hefty price sticker to go along with it.

·
Detritus Maximus
2,838 Posts
When you find that type of weatherstrip for much less than OGTS, let me know. You'll have trouble because it was not used on American or Japanese cars. The cheapest alternative I have found, and still have the correct type, is to raid Yugos at the junkyard. Same type of weatherstrip and much 'younger'.

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Cheese!

OGTS - exactly the right size - exactly the right shape - guaranteed!

Try buying a bit from the nearest Buick dealer ....... and they sold GTs new :(

·
Premium Member
1,752 Posts
Ogts

OGTS may not have the lowest prices in town, but they are certainly fair prices. The thing about OGTS is the support one gets from Gil and Dennis. Yes, I can pay less for a lot of items, but when I ask a question at the "discount" places, they give me the blank look and a very helpful "I don't know".

I have wriitten literally hundreds of emails to Gil and Dennis when I run into a problem, and I have always got a courtious prompt, and detailed reply. As for the door weatherstripping, I bought it from OGTS and it is a perfect match. I also know that when it's itme to put it in the car, I will get any information I may need from Gil and Dennis. I have done a lot of business with other outfits, but none of them are as helpful as OGTS. (No, I don't work for them). I work for a company that has very high customer service standards, and it is impressive to see a company that stands out above the rest, and when it comes to Opels, that's OGTS.

OK, I'm off my soapbox starting now :)

Bob

·
1,973 Posts
I think it was $70 or so for enough to do both doors from ogts and it is of good quality and I don't think you will save much getting it from another company after the hassel.

·
Opeler
21 Posts
five dollars

From a chevy astro van ,front doors.I had enough left over to do the "swing-out type windows".Not factory but functonal!No more Leakie Leakie! :) My pics are too big to send in this message.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts