Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
If you read my questions about autocross suspension, you know that I just got this car a couple of weeks ago. I got it from my uncle and it doesn't even have an owners manual, so I really know nothing about how an Opel GT works. I do know that he took great care of the car as the body is in great condition and the engine was rebuilt 15,000 miles ago.

I started it up this morning and took the air cleaner tube off so I could look down into the carberator. It is a 2 barrel Weber 32/36 DGEV with the electric choke. I noticed the outside barrel opens immediately, but I can't seem to ever get the second barrel to open. Is this normal? I assume it iis a progressive set up where the second barrel will open after the first one if you really step on the gas. I shut the car off and had my wife stand on the accelerator, and it still didn't open. I could reach down and move the linkage to open it manually, so the linkage isn't frozen or anything and the spring pulled it back closed. It appears that the linkage is hooked up correctly too.

I don't know what GTs are supposed to be like, but this car doesn't seem to have much power. Even in nuetral I can stand on the gas and it takes a second or two to reach 4000 rpm. Is this another sign that the carb is not working correctly?

Pete Sprenger
1972 Opel GT

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
SkiWaNow said:
I don't know what GTs are supposed to be like, but this car doesn't seem to have much power. Even in nuetral I can stand on the gas and it takes a second or two to reach 4000 rpm. Is this another sign that the carb is not working correctly?

Pete Sprenger
1972 Opel GT
Had the same problem- drove my GT a year and a half not realizing that I was only getting 1/2 power because of the secondary not opening up. My fix was to lenghten the accelorator push by threading down on the linkage on the driver side assembly. You will notice that there is a threaded rod positioned down from the ball assembly after the linkage comes out of the firewall. Lenghten this until your secondary opens up. There are pictures of the assembly in the forum- just type in a search for it. BTW -it also helped by replacing the rubber grommets in the linkage- feels much tighter with no slop.
Now I can accelerate from a stop and keep up with just about anything on the road for at least 500 feet- got to work on the rest of the engine for more punch on the top end. :cool:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hey, thanks for the help! That was it. I just adjusted the linkage and now the secondary opens like it is supposed to. I really wonder why my uncle never took care of that. He took such good care of everything else on the car. I can't wait to take it out for a drive now. Of course there is a little matter of getting insurance for it and replacing the rear brake shoes and wheel cylinders. We did get it registered in our names and licensed today though.

Cindy & Pete Sprenger
1972 Opel GT

·
131 Posts
Same here.... can you submit a pic of your adjustment point?

SkiWaNow said:
Hey, thanks for the help! That was it. I just adjusted the linkage and now the secondary opens like it is supposed to. I really wonder why my uncle never took care of that. He took such good care of everything else on the car. I can't wait to take it out for a drive now. Of course there is a little matter of getting insurance for it and replacing the rear brake shoes and wheel cylinders. We did get it registered in our names and licensed today though.

Cindy & Pete Sprenger
1972 Opel GT
Can you include a pic of where you made your adjustment? I also have this problem... Thanks... Mark

·
131 Posts
Primary and Secondary in sync?

Should the two open in sync? What is ultimate setting.... my secondary (closest to engine) doesn't appear to open at all.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Primary not opening fully

On my (recently purchased) '70, I appear to be having the opposite problem. The secondary (larger) plate appears to open fully. But the primary seems only to open about half way. I don't see anything that obviously looks bad in the linkage. It just looks like the pin in the Loose Lever Assy (#83 in the diagram at Weber 32/36 DGEV DGAV Diagram) is just hitting the end of the slot in the Secondary Throttle Control Lever (#86). So while the primary only opening half-way seems odd to me, I guess my first (silly) question is whether that's normal on these carbs.

·
Administrator
10,230 Posts
On my (recently purchased) '70, I appear to be having the opposite problem. The secondary (larger) plate appears to open fully. But the primary seems only to open about half way. I don't see anything that obviously looks bad in the linkage. It just looks like the pin in the Loose Lever Assy (#83 in the diagram at Weber 32/36 DGEV DGAV Diagram) is just hitting the end of the slot in the Secondary Throttle Control Lever (#86). So while the primary only opening half-way seems odd to me, I guess my first (silly) question is whether that's normal on these carbs.
The primary should open fully. Is the linkage grommet at the firewall intact?

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Is it even possible to fully open the secondary without the primary being fully open unless the linkage between the two has been assembled wrong ?

If I remember correctly the linkage from the pedal attaches to the link on the primary shaft which in turn opens the secondary ....or is my memory that bad, that in itself should prevent the secondary from open fully unless you can turn the primary through it's full motion range ?

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
weber 32/36 pic.

Rainer Manthey, you might want to disconnect the linkage to the carb. and manually operate it, that way you can tell if it's the carb. or the throttle linkage miss adjusted, maybe this will help, check for bent linkage.

Attachments

·
Registered
152 Posts
This is with the carb in my hand; nothing in the linkage in the car is related (at least not at this point). I'd found water in the oil, so I had the head off to check, and replace, the head gasket, and before I re-installed the carb, I was just playing with it, and it didn't seem right. (Well, at least to me, I'm new to Opels.) But thanks for the confirmation in that it should open all the way.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Is it even possible to fully open the secondary without the primary being fully open unless the linkage between the two has been assembled wrong ?

If I remember correctly the linkage from the pedal attaches to the link on the primary shaft which in turn opens the secondary ....or is my memory that bad, that in itself should prevent the secondary from open fully unless you can turn the primary through it's full motion range ?
My guess is that it is, in fact, not possible to fully open the secondary without the primary fully open, unless the linkage is wrong. So it must be that the linkage IS wrong somehow. Not quite sure how yet, but possibly something in the Loose Lever Assy. It seems to me that when I rotate the Throttle Valve Control Lever, the primary and secondary start opening almost at the same time; I thought that the primary should open noticeably earlier (which would be why they call this a progressive carb). So if a PO had modified things so that the primary opened later, to get the primary and secondary synchronized, that might mean the primary would have less range of motion left, before it got stopped by the secondary being full open.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I need an owners manual for the Weber 32/36 DGAV on a 1900 CIH engine (GT).

Rainer
There is no such thing as GTs came from the factory with a Solex carb. However, there are lots of Weber 32/36 diagrams and tuning procedures available on the Internet. Just Google it and you'll find all you need to know.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've been trying to figure this carburetor out is it a DGVE?

progressive.jpg

Oh and by the way whats the funny do hicky on the side?
My boyfriend thinks it's some kind of idle increase.

·
Registered
152 Posts
My guess is that it is, in fact, not possible to fully open the secondary without the primary fully open, unless the linkage is wrong. So it must be that the linkage IS wrong somehow. Not quite sure how yet, but possibly something in the Loose Lever Assy. It seems to me that when I rotate the Throttle Valve Control Lever, the primary and secondary start opening almost at the same time; I thought that the primary should open noticeably earlier (which would be why they call this a progressive carb). So if a PO had modified things so that the primary opened later, to get the primary and secondary synchronized, that might mean the primary would have less range of motion left, before it got stopped by the secondary being full open.
I've had another look at the linkage and think I see the problem. In the attached picture taken with the throttle completely closed, you can see that the pin on the loose lever assy. is actually not starting at the end of the slot in the secondary throttle control lever (#86 in the diagram). So I think there's not enough travel left in the slot; when the secondary opens fully and stops, the primary gets stopped by the pin hitting the end of the slot, even though the primary isn't fully open. Probably the loose level assy. just was rotated a bit on the shaft, and I hadn't seen that before (actually I would have thought the assy. and shaft would be keyed or indexed in some way to prevent this sort of thing). Anyway, I think it will be any easy fix. And I think fixing this will cause the primary to open ahead of the secondary as it should.

Attachments

·
Registered
775 Posts
I've been trying to figure this carburetor out is it a DGVE?

View attachment 95697

Oh and by the way whats the funny do hicky on the side?
My boyfriend thinks it's some kind of idle increase.
Lisa,

Maybe you need to find a boyfriend that knows something about cars. I understand there is a guy in Milner, Ga that goes by Wrench that you should meet. :veryhappy

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
I've had another look at the linkage and think I see the problem. In the attached picture taken with the throttle completely closed, you can see that the pin on the loose lever assy. is actually not starting at the end of the slot in the secondary throttle control lever (#86 in the diagram). So I think there's not enough travel left in the slot; when the secondary opens fully and stops, the primary gets stopped by the pin hitting the end of the slot, even though the primary isn't fully open. Probably the loose level assy. just was rotated a bit on the shaft, and I hadn't seen that before (actually I would have thought the assy. and shaft would be keyed or indexed in some way to prevent this sort of thing). Anyway, I think it will be any easy fix. And I think fixing this will cause the primary to open ahead of the secondary as it should.
Sounds very plausible

1 - 18 of 18 Posts