Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Senior Contributor
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i finally got a few bucks to put in the gt. ok the gt runs like crap in cold weather. i need to know which is easier to install and will give more results? the weber carb or the petronix electronic ignition? and which weber would be best for the midwest? electric or water choke? and where is the best place to buy either one?

and know that wtih me.. everything that can go wrong, usually does, so is there any drawl backs to either one of these upgrades?

·
Opeler
90 Posts
If you got the solex.....scrap it. get a weber 32/36 with electric choke. you can pick up about 2-4 Hp on a good tune. this was the first bolt on for my car and im glad i did it. Solex's suck.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Choke

I have never ben able to get my elec choke to work properly. I bought a $15 manual choke and it takes out all the guess work. In... is off, Out... is choked and if you need to run it 1/2 way you can, No problems and no guessing.

I am running the Weber as well

·
Registered
858 Posts
first think i am doing in my cars is a $50-60 electronic ignition.
i had no problem with my solex. yes, it starts better, 1 or 2 miles
per gallon, 2 to 4 more hp. but it was driving good. points and Pete
do not go together.
pete

·
Senior Contributor
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
water choke would be the easiest wouldnt it.. just hook up the two hoses? and then just bolt it on? i heard that you had to bend or cut something on the throttle linkage? on a scale of 1 -10 how hard is the weber to install?

·
Opeler
90 Posts
i only had a problem with my electric choke not opening all the way. the problem was i didnt run a 12v source to get the choke open. other than that the choke works perfect

·
199 Posts
Weber with electric choke wins hands down. Get the 12vdc from the passanger side horn. Electronic ignition after the carb.

As far as dificulty 1-10 with 10 being the hardest. I'd rate it at a 3 just because I always have trouble with dropping the nut that goes on the rear outside stud!

Brian

·
Opeler
90 Posts
i would agree with that Bq97. solex flows 190 cfm weber 32/36 270 cfm. so with the weber you are getting more power reliably. only one air/fuel screw to mess with.

·
Super Moderator
8,205 Posts
Weber hands down, you can live with the points if you have to. I hate points but would keep them if it meant I could get rid of the Solex.

Harold

·
Senior Contributor
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
now the only question is.. where can I get one? anyone have a good one for a decent price? and thanks for the replys

·
Opeler
90 Posts
whats your price range? check ebay they are always on there. for a new one go to www.opelgtsource.com or call opels unlimited for a rebuilt one. you can contact opels unlimited. dont know the number off the top of my head the site is www.opelsunl.com. i got myself a rebuilt one from there and it ran fine

·
199 Posts
Try Opel GT Source, Redline Carbs, Carbs Unlimited just to name a few. One word of caution about a Weber swap is the jetting possibilities are endless and what works well on one engine may not work well on yours or at your location. Do a search here for webber jetting and read all the threads and ask questions before your purchase. When you do purchase the carb know what jets are in it to start with or order it with the jets you want to start with. I would think you'd want to start out a little rich and work your way leaner on the jets, that way you don't burn a piston. Someone with more jetting experience jump in here! To use someone elses words "Jetting a Weber can be both a maddening and rewarding experience."

·
Senior Contributor
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
jetting? oh crap.. now im lost... that weber aint sounding so great now? i was thinking about getting one new from opelgtsource.com and installing it and starting it right up.. with only minor tuning.. please tell me thats all you have to do with the ones from there?

·
Premium Member
1,752 Posts
Weber

If you are ordering from OGTS, then it is already jetted, it almost plug and play. Remove the fuel line from the carb, remove the ball nut (this goes on your new Weber), remove the four hold down bolts and remove the carb. Put your new carb on (new gaskets too) hook up the linkage, bolt it down, attach fuel line, run an alway on 12 volt to the plug, you are done. Not that big a deal, maybe 40 minutes or so and your on the road. Maybe some very minor adjustment, but should run pretty good out of the box.

Bob

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Willy_g77 said:
jetting? oh crap.. now im lost... that weber aint sounding so great now? i was thinking about getting one new from opelgtsource.com and installing it and starting it right up.. with only minor tuning.. please tell me thats all you have to do with the ones from there?
Check out the thread that starts here http://www.opelgt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2623 the last post is on the board now.
Sounds sorta complex when starting it, but it is really pretty simple, and I have a heck of a time with carbs. Jarrell

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
32/36 jetting . . . blast from the past!

Willy_g77 said:
Like soybean said, really not all that hard . . . here's best thread for 32/36 jetting. :)

Personally, I'd opt for the Pertronix . . . never've had a problem with Solex carbs.

·
Super Moderator
8,205 Posts
tekenaar said:
. . . never've had a problem with Solex carbs.
Otto,
How many Solex's are you using now compared to how many have been converted to something else.

I've had very little trouble with them either other than maybe tripping over the box they were in. :D

Harold

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
My Opels, a run down . . .

hrcollinsjr said:
Otto,
How many Solex's are you using now compared to how many have been converted to something else.

I've had very little trouble with them either other than maybe tripping over the box they were in. :D

Harold
I know you're just kidding around here, Harold, but seriously, here's the scoop.

I have two "pure stock" cars with Solexes, '69 Kadett LS and '70 GT, both with original 1.9 flat-top engines, Kadett's an auto 3.18, GT's a stick 3.44. My original '73 GT only ever had a Solex on it until I converted to '75 FI in '78.

My son's first car was a '74 Manta Luxus with every option on it, a Buick dealer parts manager's car. The '73 GT Solex was transferred to that car until totalled a year later by a fellow student. :( Carb was salvaged and later sold to someone in WA for her GT. Still there, still in use.

All my other GTs have FI except for my only non-Solex, non-FI GT, the 2.15 SSD 5-speed.

·
Super Moderator
8,205 Posts
Otto,

I suspect the main problem with the Solex is the person working on them. It is in my case. :( Too complicated for me. I've noticed too many with warped bases due to the design of the base made worse by people over tightening them. I like simple things and so does my wife. :eek:

Harold

·
Opeler
3 Posts
I've had a couple of 32/36's on a couple of my Manta's.
had one with manual choke, that was spot on.
Had one with electric choke... Bloody useless (chokewise)

Had lumpy idle with one, which I couldn't smooth out, took car to a rolling road, found out I had managed to get 101.1 bhp out of engine at the wheels, hence the carb needed a slight rejet.

I swear by these carbs, and over here in the uk, it is possible to tweak the carb run Manta's to easily outperform the injection models (75-88 manta GTE)
No reason not to have one really.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts