Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After switching from a 38/38 to a 32/36 for simplicity. I started out with a noticeable stumble from Idle. I have cut off 2 full coils from the power pump spring and I think it is a little better but still there. I live in Colorado at elevation 5000 ft above sea level. Should I continue cutting off more coil ? Would it be worth while to change out jets due to elevation?

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Cutting coil spring off the power valve is primarly used for Weber 38 dges in conjunction with a larger cam and low idle vacuum. I don't recall this applying to the 32-36 webers.

You more then likely need to rejet your carb accordingly

Reactions: kwilford

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,534 Posts
You can perform an experimental spring loop reduction by temporarily tying 2-4 of the spring loops together with sewing thread. If it works, then cutting another loop or two off is your solution. You may also have your timing advanced a little too far, this can also cause a stumble.

·
Super Moderator
5,992 Posts
To be clear, simply cutting the power valve spring based on idle vacuum is NOT recommended. While a big cam MAY reduce idle vacuum to the point that the power valve may be open when it should not (causing gas to dribble in via the power valve port), the guideline of cutting the spring below 14" Hg vacuum is only a guideline. Doing so may not solve the problem, and may make off-idle stumble worse. Determining that the idle vacuum is less than 14" HG does not determine the NEED to do so, nor the AMOUNT of spring to cut. You need to determine the SPECIFIC vacuum that causes the valve to open when it should not. Or to stay closed when it should open.

Sorry, I do not have time right now to write the procedure. RallyBob has done so, it is stuck at the top of this Forum. Read away...

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Coil spring cutting only applies for idle vacuum under 14 at your altitude you’re more vonerable to that being the case but don’t just guess, use a vacuum gauge at the intake manifold.
See post 13
Vincent hit the nail on the head. Re-jet leaner, more air correction possibly smaller main & idle jets as well.

·
Opeler
3,109 Posts
What are your current jet sizes? Maybe helpful or confusing:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts