Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Administrator
10,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New thread for use as a future article.........

Post any tips regarding the Weber conversion carb that worked for you. Float settings, mixture adjustment procedure and baseline jet sizes or any tricks.

The out of the box Weber is not set up properly for the 1.9. Tell us how you got yours running properly. If you have not rejetted your Weber, you are missing out on a lot!!

My '69 GT has a 38 DGAS powering a bored out 1.9 with Jahns high compression pistons and a .432"/224° cam with a Sprint mainfold going through a Lenk resonator . I could not believe the difference in performance after RallyBob worked his magic with the jetting!

·
Super Moderator
6,035 Posts
OK, Gary, what magic did Bob do to your carb? Jet sizes, emulsion tubes, all the good stuff.

And "Stressed", where have you BEEN the past month since you joined? RallyBob, aka Bob Legere, is the resident expert, especially on things related to performance. Take the time, go to the "Members" section, look up RallyBob, and read his posts. I think this shortcut will do all that for you:

http://www.opelgt.com/forums/search...id=10976&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending

And make a BIG pot of coffee, since you will be a while. Bob has posted 629 times, and started 28 of those. So he spends most of his spare moments answering questions from the unwashed masses.

Enjoy!

·
Administrator
10,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
kwilford said:
OK, Gary, what magic did Bob do to your carb? Jet sizes, emulsion tubes, all the good stuff.
Sprinkled a little pixie dust on it, he did..... Actually I was testing an 'article' feature that will place posts in the center section and condense replys under it and that's where my test post came from. Got sidetracked by the NFL game and forgot to remove it. :rolleyes:
I am gathering info and will be putting together an article on Weber tuning.

·
82 Posts
Where I've been

I love this message board. Unfortunately, I spend most of my time these days working, and when I’m not working, I’m working on my 70 GT. I re-bought it two years ago. To make a long story short it was the exactly same car I bough when I was seventeen, sold at eighteen, and found again 13 years later and eight-hundred miles away. I’ve got the car running, but just to run the mix screw is out 5 or 6 turns, and idle is in about 5 turns. I hope to post pictures soon. Maybe I’ll go take them now. Yahhh…. Be back soon.

·
Administrator
10,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
...And make a BIG pot of coffee, since you will be a while. Bob has posted 629 times, and started 28 of those. So he spends most of his spare moments answering questions from the unwashed masses.
WOW
Its there any updates on this old subject?
I linked off of paint codes to find this thread.
IMOA dump the weber and install a Holley Oh.. look out ..I'm moving around from all the flack
Bob has posted 629 times, and started 28 of those.
Man is that an old thread!
This was a test thread for one of the many "article" add-on programs that did not last.

Be careful with the Holley as the primary is reversed (inboard) which causes cylinders one and four to run lean.

·
Opeler
1,768 Posts
I had a Holley on for the last few thousand miles. Mine was installed backward so primary and secondary were same as a weber, this puts the linkage for throttle toward the front of the car so you'll need to change to a cable and ditch the whole Opel linkage. Anyway. Since the Holley is a mirror of the Weber, it seems to work about the same. Was fine on my car but who can leave well enough alone?

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
Gary
The holley I'm thinking of is not progressive in the least bit.
Then theres the motorcraft carbs with annular discharge boosters.
Hope you can make it to the Ga. meet.

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
Search "All these jets"

WOW
Are there any updates on this old subject?
I linked off of paint codes to find this thread.
IMOA dump the weber and install a Holley Oh.. look out ..I'm moving around from all the flack
See title to search . . . "All these jets . . ."

·
Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer
7,574 Posts

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Read them, but do so carefully

Although there are some good ideas, based from actual experience, the thread links cited above, also contain conflicting and potentially misleading information.

(1) Some advocate changing to F66 emulsion tubes on the 32/26 DGV series, (which possibly is a misread of the recommended change for the 38DGAS. "Rally Bob" contradicted this suggestion).

(2) Claims the emulsion tubes on a 32/36 "DGxV" differ from those on a 38DGAS, (which are in fact contradicted by Weber's manual itself, which lists same part number for these tubes for both applications).

Reference for (2):
http://www.opelgt.com/forums/aftermarket-down-draft-carbs/2623-all-these-jets-weber-re-jetting.html
Posts #8 & #9, dated 12/16/03:

(3) "The mixture screw seems to have little effect on the idle quality other than the fact that when it is all of the way in, the idle speeds up a bit."

The above symptom is also noted, more commonly, when there is a vacuum leak. But only one post (Rally Bob's), on a linked thread, referenced a need to check for that, rather than the suggestion to consider changing jets.

Reference for (3):
http://www.opelgt.com/forums/aftermarket-down-draft-carbs/6765-final-how-jet-weber-thread.html
Post #14, date 6/20/05, quote from "Travis"

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
(3) "The mixture screw seems to have little effect on the idle quality other than the fact that when it is all of the way in, the idle speeds up a bit."

The above symptom is also noted, more commonly, when there is a vacuum leak. But only one post (Rally Bob's), on a linked thread, referenced a need to check for that, rather than the suggestion to consider changing jets.

"Travis"

One simple check for this symptom is to look into the primary and see if fuel is flowing from the booster.If so your running off of the transfer slots instead of the idle circuit.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts