Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many weber 38 carb packages offered for sale are for specific cars. I have one intended for a Jeep. They come with a real nice looking 1" metal spacer combo for between the carb and manifold. The spacers are tapered and flowed, to direct the airflow leaving the carb, towards the center, thereby mixing the flow of air from the two carb venturies into something closer to a single stream. I assume that Jeep manifolds must have a narrower chamber below the carb in the manifold.

My question is: Do these spacers work on our cars AND provide some benefit?

Obvious drawbacks are the fact that they're metal and won't isolate the engine heat from the carb and the 1" height could make it tough to close the hood on a GT.
It seems that most modifications we do to our manifolds involve ENLARGING the opening in the manifold and installing flow dividers plus grinding/filing to get the air to make the right angle turns into the manifold channels more efficiently. In other words, dividing the airflow to the sides. Therefore, it would seem that the Jeep spacers are doing the opposite of what we try to do by directing airflow towards the center.

Has anyone used them on their Opel? Thoughts please.....

·
Super Moderator
13,443 Posts
Obvious drawbacks are the fact that they're metal and won't isolate the engine heat from the carb and the 1" height could make it tough to close the hood on a GT.
I think that, short of running no air filter at all, this height spacer will make it impossible to close the GT hood. They are surprisingly close with just a 10mm (3/8") spacer.

·
Opeler
755 Posts
I made a 38 spacer from a 1" phenolic spacer made for the 32/36. I bought the spacer on eBay, but I didn't see the item while looking today. It was for racing application. I did the clearance test, between the hood and snorkel, with a little block of clay. I cut the 1" spacer, a hair less, than the available clearance, and matched the 38/38 bore with a Dremmel barrel sander. Sanded it flat, on a table top belt sander, and it was done. Wear a mask!
I did see today, on eBay, a 3/16" phenolic spacer for the 32/36. Two of those would give you 3/8". Match the bores and done. The seller was carbpartsdirect . He has 10 available, and they are 6 bucks each.

Wes

·
Weber Carburetor Guru
149 Posts
those spacers are "adapter kits" to change the manifold to carb mounting size. the benefit of raising the carburetor is a byproduct

1 - 10 of 10 Posts