Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
101st Airborne 1/327 Inf
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Replaced Solex with 32/36 DGEV. as stated in my earlier thread. My problem now is in adjustment for a good start and smooth exceleration which I do not have. The weber troubleshooting guide instruction say turn the fast idle to reach OPEL spec rpm and then adjust the idle mixture screw to smooth it out. It seems to smooth out however when I press on the accelerator pedal the carb hesitates and sometime blows a flame through it throat. Expert advice is needed fast I want this opel on the road this week if possible. :(

·
Detritus Maximus
2,794 Posts
1-Take out and write down the sizes of the idle jets, main jets, air corrector jets, and emulsion tubes. Also write down any other non-stock parts/settings. So you have the info for someone who asks.
2-Check the float level.
3-Does your idle go up when the motor gets warm? If so, listen for 'gurgling' with the engine off and check to see if fuel is leaking into the venturis. This indicates the carb is too hot and needs the heat shield and spacers. This causes the idle mixture screw to not affect the idle as much as it should. Also causes a flooding condition and possibly some dieseling.
4-Take your plugs out and see what color/condition they are in. Black=rich (dry black, that is. Wet black is oil).
5-Check your timing.
6-Valve adjustment? Doubtful, but maybe. One sign is backfiring through the carb.

This is not in any real order, but do the easiest (3,4,+5)and some things can be done at the same time.

·
Opeler
44 Posts
Weber carb

I was interested to read your post, as I am having problem #3. Where does spacer go? I think I have seen mention of the heat shield elsewhere in the site, but if you have a picture of one, it would be helpful. Actually, I guess a picture of the spacer would be handy as well.

Thanks in advance.

·
Detritus Maximus
2,794 Posts

The square shiny thing below the carb is the stock Opel heat shield. This is used in conjuntion with a phenolic spacer (phenolic material is resistant to heat transfer and is used as an insulator) and a couple of carb gaskets. You can also use the 'thick' Felpro carb gaskets for the Capri/Pinto. Opel GT Source has those, or at least they used to. Using something to insulate the fuel line and filter (if you have one near the carb) is also a good idea.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts