Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Senior Contributor
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello there is a weber on ebay that doesnt look bad.. but it says it was made in italy.. and i dont know if its water, electric, or manual choke.. so i just want to know if this will actually work on an opel? it appears to need a rebuild, where can i get a book to rebuild one of these carbs? and would i need more then simple tools to rebuild it?
can view it here > http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4556675450&category=34202

thanks

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Home!

Italy is the home of Weber carbs, the main factory was there. The Spanish built ones are the LESS desirable ones and not suposed to be as good as the Italian ones. THe factories have been closed at the moment by crippling labour problems and the fact that most cars now use fuel injection thus reducing their market to those like us who still use old fashioned carbs!
That carb is OK - Just check what model it is.

·
Super Moderator
13,844 Posts
Willy_g77 said:
hello there is a weber on ebay that doesnt look bad.. but it says it was made in italy.. and i dont know if its water, electric, or manual choke.
It looks like a 32/36 DGV. It's definitely a manual choke (cable type). Ironically it already has an Opel ball-stud for the throttle linkage, so it looks to have come off an Opel. The older Webers were all Italian made, and the quality is generally better than that of the later ones made in Spain. Unless something is broken off, a rebuilt kit should do the trick. In rare instances a high mileage example could have a bit of throttle shaft play which will give a vacuum leak, but those older Italian Webers have replaceable throttle shaft bushings and throttle shaft seals.

HTH,
Bob

·
Manta Maniac
1,385 Posts
......and here was me hoping nobody would notice this one....... ;)

·
Senior Contributor
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
its manual... i aint up for it... still looking.. maybe i'll have enough for a new one from Gil by the end of summer...

·
1971 GT
636 Posts
I guess it depends on the price it goes up to then, Billy.

When I bought my GT 18 years ago it came with a baggie containing the manual choke parts - which I never installed. ie, my 32/36 has had no choke at all all of these years and has never failed to start and run - even when I drove it year round and in the snow.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I installed a manual choke on a weber (and 73 Manta) I had about 25 yrs ago and I remember liking the "adjustability" of the that choke vs. the electric one it had on it previously. I've been considering putting one on the 73 GT I have now but it's been running so well I hate messing with it. At some point I'm sure I'll try one again.

I wouldn't let the manual choke scare you off that carb.

Also....... Opeldean has/had a video that will walk you throught the rebuild. You might want to contact him to see if he still has copies available.

·
Senior Contributor
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i honsestly dont think i can install a carb :( .. i have done brakes all away around, and adjusted valve lash.. points plugs.. and simple stuff like that.. i think i could put it on just not be able to ever to get it to run again, cuz of adjustments and what not.. so i think i better just go through gil.. or get a rebuilt one from a fellow opelgt.com member :D

·
1,973 Posts
The carb swap is sooo simple, disconnect the linkage and 4 nuts and the carb is off, gasket maker on both gasket surfaces and reverse the procedure and it is installed. If you buy the one on ebay it probably is jetted close to what it should be so you put it on and drive away, and having a manual choke carb that is jetted correctly for $50 off ebay is money much better spent than a new one for $350, it has a manual choke...big deal.

·
Senior Contributor
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well...

where would i put the choke at? or how would i run it? because on my 69 gt it had a lawn mower choke thingy on it.. and i dont want nothing crappy like that in my gt...(lawn mower parts that is)
but that carb looks in need of a rebuild.. but how do you adjust webers?

·
boomerang opeler
5,636 Posts
billy get a manual choke cable (they twist lock ) and a mounting bracket ,put the bracket under the dash where the 2 small legs of the dash go around the bottom of the column , feed the cable through and drill a hole through the firewall so you can feed it in to the engine bay then run ir into place and cut to length , trim back however much you need to do the connection (same as a bike brake cable ) connect inner to the choke arm and outer to the clamp on carb and jobs a goodun :D

·
648 Posts
When I first got my GT I had a manual choke 32/36 on it. It was a challenge to run the cable due to the tight fit, but I got it done. I put the knob under the dash, and if I remember right, I attached it to one of the steering column bolts. I wanted it well hid, and it did the job.

Don't be afraid to do the carb yourself. It's a great learning experience, but very straight forward. Also, you will learn a lot by doing the adjusting. Besides, we (all 6575 members now here) love to give advice! :D

Good luck,
James

·
Senior Contributor
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i got my brother to let me use his ebay account.. i got my bid in... but what should i do about bolts and nuts? just use my old ones? i got the base gasket.. trust me i'll be asking questions every step of the way.. thats if i win.. :D

·
1,973 Posts
All of the old hardware can be used, if you are running the stock air intake you will need an adapter to use it or get a small self contained airfilter and housing they can be bought new for around $20

·
Senior Contributor
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
anyone know where i can get that manual choke cable/assembly? called up at my local carquest, and they didnt know what the f i was talking about.. they never do!!! argh :rolleyes:

·
1,973 Posts
I remember looking around in the random chrome part section at my local autozone and I believe they have a stainless steel braided sheathed choke cable for about $15 I'll take a look there and see if I can't find a part number.

·
1000 Post Club
4,117 Posts
If you have a NAPA around, they should be able to help you out with a choke cable.

·
296 Posts
hello,
i'm not technical at all and have no experience what so ever on cars. i got my gt just 2 months ago. first thing i worked on was the carb (solex) and i;m still in the rebuilding fase. i did this because it was already of the car. in first i didn;t think i could do this. but with a exploded view of the carb and some screwdriver and lots of cleaning fluid. i got every lose thing that was on it out. i just began screwing things off and lay them exactly the way i got them of. marked all the yets as i taped them on a card board... i'm now cleaning the thing and rebuilding it. just get a good exploded view of the thing (http://www.ruddies.business.t-online.de/index2.htm) and some screw drivers and begin screwing things of. you will see it;s easy to do. and what screwing things together again about. that goes naturally. and the exploded views are realy a help. i got two weeks ago the same carb as you are looking for now. mine looks pretty good. came of a 1.9 ascona a. from the inside it really looks clean. from the outside it only needs a good cleaning. it;s a lot of fun to rebuilt it yourself. i got a lot of fun out of it. succes with it.
cheers
tom

·
88 Posts
cable kit

Autobone and Kragenster have the manual choke kits with all the 'Help' brand fixit goodies (usually a whole section of a row with bright red bubble packed wear items like door pins and brake hardware). Runs about $10.

Tha hardest part of mounting the cable is finding a place to put the cable holder on the setup we have (on a V8 there lots of extra tapped mounting points on the manifold). I mounted mine on the bottom of the weber air cleaner (two holes drilled). It also took a little clearencing of the replacement choke cap since the opels replacement cap is not one of the typical sizes that come in the kit. Basically couldnt get the choke holer ring arount the choke cap and went to a junk yard to get three little holders from a chevy carb - it didnt have a full ring, just a little metal arc held by each screw.

I can post a photo if you need.

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Let me think real hard on this one. Weber 32/36 and manual choke cables, I do believe that the best choke cable I've ever seen was done by the same person that put the 32/36 rebuild on DVD. Seems a bit of using the search engine may have helped a bit here. Jm2cw

1 - 20 of 45 Posts