Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I noticed on the classicopels email group that someone posted pictures of his vacuum lines and asked where they go. I am wondering if anyone knows where there is a picture like the one posted on this site of the solex only weber :) with a weber 32/36 carb? thanx in advance.

·
102 Posts
I second this request ....
since most of the people in these forum love to brag about the WEBER carbs .... i am sure someone can provide a REAL USEFUL PICTURE for all the connections ... right guys????

·
Administrator
10,230 Posts
likengtj said:
Thanks Gary!
like they say, "one picture is worth a thousand words"
Gotta love the 'net, digital cameras, and a garage!:D

On some of the early GT's the metered orifice (valve cover PCV line) fitting is on the engine side of the carb and the distributor's vac retard (small dia) line goes to a larger I.D. connection below the carb.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
THANX TO GARY

thanks gary this helps alot i was having an idling problem which i still have but at least now i know that its not the vac hoses (well at least placements :))

the problem is the idle speed is like 2600 rpms...i adjusted the idle, and mixture screws (according to the specs that are ballpark from my uncle as he runs the same carb on a bmw) but they dont have any affect on the idle speed..(thats why i figured it was a vac line) but i second guessed myself because disconnecting the vac lines and covering and uncovering the holes made minor minor change.. i know how to get it down to about 1500 rpms but im missing a spring to hold that carb part (not sure what it is) its an arm on the back side of the carb that comes up past the mechanism from the gas pedal where it attaches from the carb. As i know some parts of cars not others.. (damn newbies :)) anyway have any ideas...

p.s: my vac advance is plugged also

·
102 Posts
Gary,
I have a 32/36 DGV (manual choke) on my recently adquired 71 GT. Currently does not even have an air filter snorkel assembly installed!...anyway ... my question is, the 2 openings (pseudo PCV and other big hole) from the valve cover are not being plugged into anything, should i be worry about them?
The car currently runs very,very rough.
I'm going to replace the fuel filter,check hoses,venting,etc...and eventually place a air filter on it.

Thanks for your input!

·
Super Moderator
5,922 Posts
For PCV and valve cover connections, see:

http://www.opelgt.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=718

especially the links to the pictures that show how the vacuum connections should be made. The small valve cover hose MUST be connected to the PCV port, just below the brake boost fitting on the intake manifold. Without the stock air snorkel, you really have no easy place to hook up the big valve cover hose. It is actually an air INLET to the valve cover (at least at low rpm and high manifold vacuum), so the best place on a Weber with a pancake air filter is to install a barbed fitting in the bottom of the filter plate (inside the filter) and hook the big hose to it.

For hints on hooking up the charcoal cannister from the gas tank vent system to a Weber or Solex, see:

http://opelgt.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=856

·
Administrator
10,230 Posts
Re: A 2 for 1 Special

likengtj said:
....The car currently runs very,very rough.
mysticopelnva said:
the problem is the idle speed is like 2600 rpms...i adjusted the idle, and mixture screws (according to the specs that are ballpark from my uncle as he runs the same carb on a bmw) but they dont have any affect on the idle speed..(thats why i figured it was a vac line)
If you are above 1,500 rpm's, the idle circuit is not being used. So any adjustments to the mixture screw will have no effect. First off, check your timing. Second, get a can of spray carb cleaner and spray around the base of the carb. Any change in engine speed indicates a vacuum leak. Third, look for a leaky vacuum hose (i.e. brake booster) or an open vac fitting. (do you have the "PVC" fitting on the engine side of the intake?) Fourth, check for binding in the linkage. Worn grommets, elongated hole in the firewall bracket behind the carb.
(My guess is a vac leak.)

·
102 Posts
Thanks for the help Keith/Gary.
After looking at the pictures on all sort of different angles,I think i figured it out.
Like i said, i have a 32/36 Web DGV 5A,which is a lot different than the picture. It only has two vacuum connections on it, the brake boost which is shared with a line from the distribuitor(Y connection), and underneath another vacuum that goes also to the distribuitor.

I think what i'm missing is a "Y" connection in the bottom vacuum, so that i can then plug the "PCV" line onto it.

Also, according to the readings, the charcoal canister is not really used with the Weber configuration, is this correct?
I understand the gas tank venting and how to hook that up to the canister middle line, but the other 2 connections from the canister have no place to go.

Gary, does your 38 DGAS use the canister connections?

·
Administrator
10,230 Posts
likengtj said:
Gary, does your 38 DGAS use the canister connections?
My '69 GT does not have the canister.
The "PCV" fitting is a metered (very small opening) fitting. if you use a full bore fitting you will get too much vacuum into the valve cover.

·
Super Moderator
5,922 Posts
PCV

The PCV connection on the '71 GT is a small (three-sixteenth inch) tube fitting just BELOW the brake booster fitting (which should have a tee; the other small fitting on the tee is for the vacuum retard, which can be capped, unless you need to pass an emissions test). Look VERY carefully at this picture:

http://www.opelgt.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=949&papass=&sort=1&thecat=500

The PCV connection is annotated by the words in the bottom right corner.

As Gary said, the PCV connection has a very small port (orifice, actually) that meters air flow out of the valve cover from the valve cover at an idle. Too big a hole, and you will get the equivalent of a vacuum leak. If the orifice gets plugged, the engine will build crankcase pressure, and cause the oil leaks you already have to get worse!

The distributor vacuum advance should NOT be connected to the intake manifold, but rather to the carb base (see the picture; it's the translucent plastic hose with the rubber end piece attached to the carb base). This fitting only has a vacuum when the throttle plate opens, while the intake manifold will have vacuum when at idle, and then less as the throttle opens.

As for the cannister when you have a Weber, one connection still goes to the tank. One connection goes to the other side of the fitting that you installed in the carb base for the breather hose (big hose from the valve cover). The third connection (which used to be to capture vented fumes from the Solex float bowl, but the Weber doesn't have) can be capped right at the cannister.

HTH

·
Super Moderator
9,751 Posts
Ya'll were asking for a picture of the stock solex set-up, well here it is. I can provide more detailed shots if needed

Attachments

·
Registered
97 Posts
carb picture

Take a look at JPIPER's member photo site he has a great picture of the original carb.

·
102 Posts
let's put this one to rest ...

Maybe I'm not making myself clear ... don't forget "I'm a NEWBIE" ... :D
1) I've clearly identified the PCV orifice in the valve cover
2) I've got 2 connections in the base of my WEBER 32/36 DGV
3) Top connection "Y" fitting = (Brake boost + vacuum retard)
4) Bottom connection - (single) = vacuum advance

That's it ... no other place for connections ...so again ...
Where does the PCV line coming from the valve cover gets plugged into the carb? ...
Am I missing something here ????:confused:
If I plug the PCV line directly below the "Y" fitting (as per picture states), then my "vacuum advace line" has no place to go.

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
Manifold

Likengtj,
Ok, first off, the 2 fittings you are talking about are in the manifold, not the carb itself. The upper of these should be a "tree" with an almost 1/2" port (for the brake booster) and a smaller vacuum line for the vacuum retard.
The port below these is for the PCV port on the valve cover. It should definatly not, in no way, for any reason, at all, be connected to your distributer. Disconnect this hose right now and hook this port to your PCV hole on the valve cover.

On the carb itself there should be a small port for the vacuum advance on the distributer. If it is not currently hooked up to anything it is a vacuum leak. There should actually be two fittings on your carb, in most cases, and the "extra" one is basicly another manifold vac you could use if you needed it.

·
102 Posts
Re: Manifold

oldopelguy said:
Ok, first off, the 2 fittings you are talking about are in the manifold, not the carb itself. The upper of these should be a "tree" with an almost 1/2" port (for the brake booster) and a smaller vacuum line for the vacuum retard.
Yes!
The port below these is for the PCV port on the valve cover. It should definatly not, in no way, for any reason, at all, be connected to your distributer. Disconnect this hose right now and hook this port to your PCV hole on the valve cover.
Yes, will do!

On the carb itself there should be a small port for the vacuum advance on the distributer.
Could this be the one?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
Sort-of

That fitting, if it was drilled and tapped, would be the fuel bowl vent that gets hooked-up to the charcoal canister. Since it probably isn't drilled, you really won't use it.

The one you are looking for should be either in the round barrel of the carb body, about half way down, or near the base of the carb just above where it mounts to the manifold. It is possible that the port isn't there, if your particular carb was intended for, say, a VW with all mechanical advance or a racing Formula Ford. In that case you may need to find out where the port goes and drill a plug out and install a fitting for the advance. I'll try to get some just carb pictures to show you exactly where it is if I can get into my garage.

·
Super Moderator
9,751 Posts
If you look at the picture I sent, the front hose (small) coming off the valve cover goes to a nipple on the side of the carb, between the carb and the motor. It feeds into the mixer area beneath the carb. The back hose (big) coming off the valve cover attaches to the air cleaner, if you're running the stock set-up. If you're running a weber, you have to make a hole in the aircleaner baseplate to accept the big hose from the valve cover.

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
Whoh there

Some years had the PCV from the valve cover go to a fitting inboard of the carb, some outboard. if there is no fitting inboard then the lower outboard one is the one you want.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts