Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
opel assimilated
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the weber 32/36, which screw is the air mixture screw, the air idle screw ect. Thanks everyone

·
opel assimilated
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok, the mixture screw is on the back bottom right, and what is the big screw right under the filter platform on the front passenger corner of the carb, and which one adjusts the idle?

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts
idle mixture screw

the idle mixture is the most bottom angled screw on bottom r passengers side of the carb,..generally start position is 2 turns or so out..from the closed position( tighten it gently till it stops..then back out 720 degrees)

the throttle screw is a mechanical stop,like a bike derailleur,..its 2 inches to the left of the idle mixture( back it out all the way,then in till it hits the plate, then tighten about 720 degrees)

these are general settings and you may go a full turn plus or minus on either adjustment..and be in the norm setting..

search weber rebuild,tekannaar has a link to the carb instructions, you need a 1 inch length blade screw driver to adjust these

the whole key, is both affect idle speed...but for best mileage and performance..you want the idle screw to contribute to the gas flow circuit..

if you are turning the idle screw and the idle doesnt change...maybe your throttle is too tight...VERY COMMON...

ogts has a print out too

Attachments

·
opel assimilated
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks Dean, but what is the screw under the filter platform on the front passenger side of the carb. when I screw it in all the way, it idles like poo. When i back it out just barely, it idles great. hmmmmm ???????

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts
choke setting

on a dgev, i believe that is the choke speed setting, ..when the car is cold that will determine how fast you will idle when the car is cold...its found in the middle of the carb on the passengers side

if you car is warm,then that should nt be affecting your idle unless your choke is out of adjustment....if i am not mistaken

is yours a dgev?,

i sold my weber 32 36..so i have to refer to photos or memory..not so good.

·
Super Moderator
5,922 Posts
flipper,
Could I ask that you try to start new threads in the correct forum? This is the second thread of yours tonight that I have moved, and there was a third that I decided to leave under "General Discussions". You were "close", but there is an "Ignition" forum under "Electrical" and a "Aftermarket Down-draft Carbs" under "Fuel Systems". It makes future searches MUCH easier for members, and allows moderators to merge threads of similar content if they are started in the correct forums. Thanks!

·
opel assimilated
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry bout that, I didnt realize they were that funneled down. I will look more closely next time :) I thought I was doin good to. oh well, practice makes perfect

·
Opeler
90 Posts
dean..my idle mixture screw does nothing when i turn it in either direction. any answers?

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
allen, check your throttle, dean had already stated in a post that throttle being too tight is a common problem for the idle mixture having no affect.

·
Senior Contributor
903 Posts
BetaCarotene said:
dean..my idle mixture screw does nothing when i turn it in either direction. any answers?
The idle mixture screw is for fine tuning only. Until you get the main and idle jets correct, it isn't going to do anything...

-Travis

·
Bo Know's '69's
255 Posts
What is the proper way to set a weber DGAV. Idle, mixer needle and choke. I have never set a water choke valve.

Bo

·
1000 Post Club
4,117 Posts
If you got the weber rebuild kit from OGTS, it should come with instructions on how to set the air, fuel, idle etc. If not give them a call to see if they will FAX you a copy. HTH.

I have one at home, but that doesn't help here at work:rolleyes:

Normally, to set a water choke, the engine must be stone cold. This is how I did it on a Solex, it should be similar on the Weber. Hit the gas pedal to activate the choke, engine not running. Loosen the screws which hold the water choke so it can be rotated like a tire. Turn it until the choke plate closes. Open the choke plate with your finger and let it go. It should return back to the completely closed position. If not, turn it some more until you get satisfactory results. Tighten the screws on the choke. You should be set.

Jeff

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Jeff, that's pretty close, the only thing I would add is to be sure the throttle is open just enuff so the fast idle cam stop screw clears the choke cam so the choke plate will move while adjusting it. Otherwise turning the adjusting cover will just tighten up the bimetallic spring inside the housing and it will take longer for the choke to fully open when the engine gets up to temp. HTH.

·
1000 Post Club
4,117 Posts
Thanks Ron. I knew I'd miss something.:p
Jeff

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
No big deal, Jeff. I've been known to make a mistook or go into a drain bamage mode every so often. Lately it's been more often though. I think exasperation with Willtt? and old age creeping up on me. :confused:

·
Bo Know's '69's
255 Posts
Just for future information that maybe most of you might already know. I found the exact problem with my Weber DGAV not getting gas from the bowl through the body. I found there is a check ball in the suction port of the acc. pump that lets fuel suck into the pump and closes when it pumps to carb. The check was stuck in the suction end of the channel thus not letting pressure build up to pump into the carb. I hopes this helps someone fighting a dirty or no gas Weber Carb problem.

Bo

·
Bo Know's '69's
255 Posts
ok I've at the point of throwing things violently. I have rebuilt and cleaned and set the carb to every post and piece of instructions i have seen. The car will pop when i pump the pedal hard and rapidly but will not run. It's like it's just not getting the gas. I replaced the fuel pump with an elect pump and making sure there is gas in the bowl. I CANNOT MAKE IT FIRE. The ingnition is firing. Check fire from coil and all the plugs. When i pulled the plugs they were moist, not wet. If it fires when i put carb cleaner in the throat, i should rule out ignition right? Can anyone tell me the route gas takes from the bowl to the intake when idleing? I'm getting shots of gas from the top jet when i pump the pedal. I really need suggestions.

Thanks in advance

Bo:mad:

·
Bo Know's '69's
255 Posts
Well, now i might have found the problem. Can anyone tell me where the bottom vaccum line goes on the bottom of the intake? The top one is going to the brake booster. Does it go to the fitting to the left of the fuel inlet on my Weber Carb? This fitting looks like it may be a return or vent for the top plate of the carb.

Bo

·
Bo Know's '69's
255 Posts
Yep, the vaccum line on intake needed to go somewhere. To the valve cover i put it. Now it will start if pedal is half way and runs really ru=ough. Will not idle yet, but adjusting more tomorrow. Yeppie, it does have life!:D

Bo

1 - 20 of 20 Posts