Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Opeler
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The secondary on my 69GT Auto (with a 71 engine and 32/36 weber) does not open early enough. It does open when I mechanicly operate the linkage but is pretty much when the linkage is at max range. Is there a baseline RPM it should open at?

Thanks

Bill Moon

·
Opeler
54 Posts
If it is normal Weber DGV(/DGAV/DGEV) 32/36 the secondary should open only mechanically as far as I know.
I guess most (if not all?) Webers use only mechanical linkage to open secondary. At least the popular(?) DGV, DGAS, DIR, ADF and DAT.

Btw. I'm planning to buy Weber ADL 38/38 (designed originally for Lancia Gamma 2.8l V6, I read somewhere) which opens barrels synchronously. I assume primary and secondary are in wrong order for CIH, but it shouldn't be big problem if I turn the carb 180 degreest. Right?

Lasse

·
Opeler
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, it is normal for the Weber 32/36 to open the secondary mechanically, I just don't know the proper way to adjust the linkage so that it will open at the proper point. That's why I wondered if there was a specific RPM or throttle position that it should be set at. If anyone knows the correct procedure, please let me know.

Thanks

Bill

·
Opeler
54 Posts
Ooh, ok. I see. My DGV opens also the secondary barrel quite late (not much before the pedal is on the floor) which gives nice sporty sound with free flow air filter. Too bad the car doesn't accelerate as fast as the dB level may let one assume... But at least it sounds and looks like a sports car. Hehe. :)
Btw. Last summer I slightly ported my intake manifold. After installing parts back I (accidentally) noticed the second barrel of DGV doesn't open at all, no matter how hard I were standing on the gas pedal. All right -> little adjusting of the gas linkage.
The result was a dramatic power and sound increase, believe me. :)

I've read the DGV section of Haynes Weber manual a couple of times but I don't recall there were any instructions how to change or check the opening point of secondary. I'm *not* sure though and now my book is at a friend so I can't check it. I hope someone else knows (or I get my book back).

Lasse

·
Detritus Maximus
2,369 Posts
Lasse H said:
If it is normal Weber DGV(/DGAV/DGEV) 32/36 the secondary should open only mechanically as far as I know.
I guess most (if not all?) Webers use only mechanical linkage to open secondary. At least the popular(?) DGV, DGAS, DIR, ADF and DAT.

Btw. I'm planning to buy Weber ADL 38/38 (designed originally for Lancia Gamma 2.8l V6, I read somewhere) which opens barrels synchronously. I assume primary and secondary are in wrong order for CIH, but it shouldn't be big problem if I turn the carb 180 degreest. Right?

Lasse
If I am understanding you correctly, you want a synchronous Weber, not a progressive? If so, the DGAS is a synchronous carb. It is probably cheaper than the ADL. A synchronous carb with same size venturis could be turned either way.
Do you have the old Haynes book (green cover) or the new Haynes book (blue cover)? I don't know if the versions you have in Finland would be the same or not.

·
Opeler
54 Posts
Are venturis of DGAS same size, what is their diameter?
In an ADL they are 24mm and 29mm. It seems like getting a (good) DGAS here is quite difficult, but I know one very little used ADL I could get quite cheap.
My Weber book is the blue one, but I've also seen that green one once. Is there any big differences? The green one lacks of the "how to install dual Webers into a VW Beetle" section at least. (Very important. ;) )

Lasse

·
Super Moderator
1,798 Posts
Weber Carbs

There is a retailer on e-bay from Italy who sells Weber and Dellorto carbs at decent prices. Search for "dcoe" and you will find several of his sales. He even had a "sprint" dual carb set-up for the 1900, so he may be able to help you out with getting the right carb if you contact him directly.

Good luck!

·
Detritus Maximus
2,369 Posts
Lasse H said:
Are venturis of DGAS same size, what is their diameter?
In an ADL they are 24mm and 29mm. It seems like getting a (good) DGAS here is quite difficult, but I know one very little used ADL I could get quite cheap.
My Weber book is the blue one, but I've also seen that green one once. Is there any big differences? The green one lacks of the "how to install dual Webers into a VW Beetle" section at least. (Very important. ;) )

Lasse
The blue book (Haynes Techbook 10240) is a little more up to date and has some stuff on SU's and Strombergs. I like it because it has some information on tuning jet sizes and emulsion tubes. I believe the venturis are i the same.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts