Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Problem...I have very irractic idle after rebuilding my weber carb on my 72 GT. I noticed for the first time gas dripping from the primary center venturi? (tube in center of barrel) Is this normal???

It ran well for a while and I thought we were finished with all adjustments, then I shut off the motor and restarted after a minute or two and the problem started.

Please Help???

· Registered
39 Posts
That sounds like the float level is too high.

I just went thru the Weber 32/36 on my 72 GT. Set the float exactly as described - note that there are two settings to limit total float travel. Opened the secondary a crack (an RCH; think the spec said 0.011"?). Turned the mixture screw out 3 turns. Put a few turns on the idle screw. Fired it and warmed it up and started adjusting. Got the idle set at 900, don't remember where the mixture screw ended up at - solid as a rock and purrs like a kitten.

Only other tip I can pass on is don't overtorque the cover screws as well as the base mount nuts. Overtorqueing the nuts can distort the base and cause leaks and throttle blade bind.

doug

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does anyone know the specs for a Weber 32/36? I didn't get any specs with my rebuild kit and can't seem to find any.

Also if you know where I can get a good insulating base gasket...I believe the gas in my bowl is boiling up into the carb. I need to get headers but don't have the funds right now.

· Registered
39 Posts
What model Weber, and with what type float?

Weber book I'm looking at (and used for mine) provides the following for the DGV and DGAV: the carb cover must be held vertical with the float hanging from the hinge pin. You'll measure from the carb cover to the bottom of the float in two positions. One position is float up, needle lightly closed: 1.53". Other position is float down or dropped position with needle valve open: 1.96".

You are setting needle valve closed/float up position and float 'drop' position [book sez Closed position dimension and stroke dimension].

Mine didn't idle worth a hoot with the float settings off in left field relative to the above. Once I set it to this it's rock steady.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.