Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help everybody. First and foremost, does anyone have any pictures of an 'assembled' 32/36 with circles, lines and arrows pointing to the important parts (jets, screws .....) (sound like Alice's restaurant).
I'm trying to get my Weber 32/36 dgev working properly. I've read all the posts, downloaded all the PDF files, looked at Redline.com and Webercarb.com. Seems like all the posts here deal primarily with re-jetting for performance and/or racing. I'm just trying to get a daily driver to run efficiently. I'm getting a bit overwhelmed by all the talk of primary and secondary mains and jets and idle levers blah, blah, blah. I'm not sure what is adustable and what is not. What I've read so far is (1) adjust the choke. (2) Adust the idle at the linkage ~900. (3) Adjust the Idle mixture. (4) Readjust the Idle linkage if needed. Does this sound right?I guess what I'm after here is 'what is normal'? A friend of mine came over to help me tweak the thing and was surprised to see the jets (down in the top). Something about them being too large? I don't know if he thought these were air jets or gas jets....It goes without saying that the PO didn't pay alot of attention to detail and there are things he did that we are not sure why he did it that way. I don't know if this carb has been rejetted for performance or daily driving. I don't want to tear it apart just to find out the jets are stock. But, I also don't want to spend all my time tweaking a carb that was not jetted for daily driving. Am I making any sense?

I know you folks will need some information before you can start making recommendations and diagnosis's. Tell me what you need and how to get it and I'll send it along. You guys live for this kind of stuff don't you?

Thanks for the help in advance. I just know I get buckets of info.

Dan and Ging

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
My best recommendation is to contact OpelDean and say yes I'd like a DVD of how to work on them and what every piece is better than a simple drawing. It's easier to follow than a stack of 8x10 glossy pictures, even with the arrows and circles. Just ask and chances are good "you can get anything you want".

·
Super Moderator
9,749 Posts
Ging;
You can actually take the top off the 32/36 and get the size of the jets and all, and put it all back in a few minutes. I did mine twice this weekend. I can show you what you need to know this weekend. Are you going to bring the GT?
Gene

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
successful tweaking

Well I spent most of my daylight hours today under and on top of the GT. The 1st thing I had to do before I hammered on the carb was to rotate the Dist a tooth or two to make sure it was timed correctly before I started messing with the carb. Of course you all know that requires yanking the fuel pump. But first, it needs to be jacked up and put on stands. Then ya gotta cram your hand down between the block and the rad fan with a 19mm wrench to turn the crank, but before you do that you have to rig up a light so you can see that damn ball and pointer. Blah, blah, blah, you know the drill. Well, long story short, raised the car, yanked the pump, spun the crank, turned the dist., set the time, adjusted the idle, adusted the idle mix and the wife went screaming down the road to Advance Auto to buy a "T" for the wiper squirt thingy. Everything is running great. Even took it on a 40 mile trip to dinner tonight. SWEET :D . (She let me drive home) Apparently the PO had the right (or close to right) parts to get it close to correct.
I'd still like to know more about how and why these carbs work. Things like how changing one jet will effect one or both circuits and/or transition between barrels. I gotta learn something everyday. I've tried to get a Weber book locally (Advance, Auto Zone, Barns and Noble...)with no luck. Nobody, the DVD idea is a good one. That would tell me everything I need to know about the carb and be specific to the GT. I'll pursue that.
Gene, yes we are coming this weekend. We are really looking forward to seeing you and the mrs (and the two ankle biters, they are delightful). I've never seen more than 2 opels at one time so this ought to be a thrill with everyone else there too. I'm sure there will me more information and tips than any one person can remember. (I'll bring a pencil). :D
Thanks for the replies everybody. Without this site we would still have a busted car AND be mad about it.

Dan and Ging

1 - 4 of 4 Posts