Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got in a supercharger origionally intended for a Mazda Milinia (?) with a 2.3 or 2.4L motor. I also got in a nifty intercooler that will fit into the front of my Kadett. Ideally this set-up will eventually be hooked up to an EFI system, but in the mean time I was planning on giviving a Weber a shot at making me happy.
Old corvairs and T-birds use a system that pressurized a box around the carb, which tricked it into responding proberly for the added boost, based soley on air flow. Has anyone ever tried that type of set-up with a Weber? Maybe with a turbo? I have a strange set of old manifolds that will allow me to put 2 Weber 32/36's on a 1.9, which would slow down air speeds, but then I'd have to try to syncronize them :eek: , which is why I've never used them.
If not, maybe I'll try to blow-up the tired 1.5 I had been using tinkering on an enging stand. It should make for quite a show!

·
315 Posts
Here's two cents worth of information. The air boxes you are talking about are so that the whole carb can be pressurized. If you simply blow (supercharge or turbocharge) air into the carb, you will make the pressure in the throat of the carb higher than the pressure in the float bowl... which will simply blow the fuel out of the float bowl.

However, if you put the whole carb in a presurized box, then the float bowl will also be presurized. Then, you would only need to do is increase the fuel pump pressure to something 3-4 psi greater than the carb/float bowl pressure and re-jet everything.

Despite some dis-advantages, a "suck through" system is much easier to get right than a "blow through" system. (If you go with suck through system, you can't use an intercooler... one of the significant disadvantages.) But getting the jets right is much easier because the carb is working the way it was designed. A number of years ago I tried a "blow through" system (on a different car) and never got the jets right.

Of course, a full tilt, computer controlled FI system will be better than a carb system in all cases.

Good luck!

·
Administrator
10,077 Posts
Hey OOG...
That tired old 1.5 CIH cylinder head could be worth some $$$. The head fits the 1.9, looks stock and its smaller combustion chamber raises the compression ratio.

If it's the old 1.5 OHV Opel engine, I could use some parts for my '51 Olympia.

Gary

·
Super Moderator
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

The motor I was talking about is a CIH, and I'm still on the fence about using it with larger valves myself.
There is a local junk yard that is rumored to have several olb Opels like your Olympia, but the owner only lets a select few people out into that part of the yard and I am not yet one of those people.
Is the drivetrain in my '56 Vauxhaul Victor wagon the same? I never did figure out the exact year when the 2 companies started being just one, and the origional drivetrain was replaced with a Toyota 22R years ago.
Now that I finally have the Kadett wagon I've always wanted, my next Opel purchase will probably be something like your Olympia. Would you believe I've never actually seen a 4 door Opel? I've seen pictures, I've talked to people who have had them, but the '69 Olympia 4-door whose picture I fell in love with 12 years ago is still an elusive target. I've always wanted to go for a ride in a Rekord, too, but I've never seen a whole one...:(

·
299 Posts
you can blow through a carb without a box if the bowl vent is in the venturi/choke tower because that would pressurized the venturis aswell as the bowl then all you need is a boost referenced fuel pressure regulator and a high flow fuel pump and boost away

1 - 6 of 6 Posts