Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post, I have been thinking of getting my hands on an old opel gt for a weekend/project car. One aspect of fun for me will be performance, so naturaly I am looking for a light car. I have searched this site and also yahoo google and whatever search engine i could get to. Some how I was unable to find the answer. I am sure the answer is out there and on this site but I have not been able to find it. It would greatly apprecaited if anybody could answer my question or point me to a link with the answer.

Thanks
John K

·
Viking
862 Posts
Hi and welcome.
The Brooklands Owners Workshop Manual says:

Curb weight, lb.................2105
Weight distribution (with
driver), front/rear, %.........54/46

·
1,973 Posts
supposed to be around 1800lb's
Entirely untrue all years of gts at curb weight from the different sources I have seen are in between 2095-2165lbs.

·
Registered
57 Posts
The GT in 1972 weighs 940kg (2068 lbs.) If it is an automatic add 20kg.

This is my first post, I have been thinking of getting my hands on an old opel gt for a weekend/project car. One aspect of fun for me will be performance, so naturaly I am looking for a light car. I have searched this site and also yahoo google and whatever search engine i could get to. Some how I was unable to find the answer. I am sure the answer is out there and on this site but I have not been able to find it. It would greatly apprecaited if anybody could answer my question or point me to a link with the answer.

Thanks
John K

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
and ...

Nope, only way :)) Otto) to get that light is to get a Kadett.
.... and a lighter Girl Friend! :haha:
Remember that a driver and passenger can add a couple of hundred kilos ....

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Today I had a chance to run up to VIR as Bob L was crewing for a couple of cars and it was just one of those things you don't miss. Anyway I talked the Tech inspectors into running my car on the scales. This is for a 1972 Stock Gt, no spare. The Gross weight is 2086 lbs. Left front 565. Right front 558. Left rear 476. Right rear 487. Enclosed is a picture of it on the scales.
Jarrell

Attachments

·
Member 1000 Post Club
1,520 Posts
Jarrell,

Those are pretty good numbers.
53.8% front weight
49.9% left side weight
50.4/49.6 cross weight

How full was the gas tank?

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Start over, Jarrell. You're supposed to be sitting in the car when you weigh it!
Just for fun I compared this to my setup sheet from the June 3 race, I got
Total 2147
Front left 601
Front right 476
Left rear 569
Right rear 501
49.8% rear
48.7% cross
54.5% left
Ron (Namba 209) Look at Jarrell's picture, you were asking recently how to weigh a car, this is how it's done!

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Ron (Namba 209) Look at Jarrell's picture, you were asking recently how to weigh a car, this is how it's done!
Yeah Jeff, I saw that earlier this afternoon. It would be neat if I can find a set of scales like that. I may have to check with some folks that helped on the various components on Willit? to see if anyone has knowledge of the whereabouts of that setup. It would be interesting to see what the weight bias is with the setup I have.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Jarrell,

Those are pretty good numbers.
53.8% front weight
49.9% left side weight
50.4/49.6 cross weight

How full was the gas tank?
The gas tank was 3/4 full.
Jeff, the tech people wanted me out of the car. In fact we pushed it on the scales. All the cars that I saw yesterday, were run through that way. I weigh 195 so that needs to be added to the total I guess. This was the first time I've had it weighed. Jarrell

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
What kind of racing were they doing there?
We have to push on to the scales, too. Trying to drive on them, what with clutches engaging and brakes being applied is kind of rough on them.
That looked like a nice setup, inside a building even.
There's a picture of our scales in here somewhere, I'll see if I can find it.
Ron, the scales are very portable, they load up into a nice little cabinet that can be wheeled around, computer and all. The trick is to use them on a very perfectly level surface, the slightest drop from level gives you a bad reading.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Jeff, they were doing the NASA racing on the full course that Bob was crewing at. There are 2 road courses, the North? and South? tracks. There were a multitude of cars there ranging from Vipers to Mazda Miatas. There was one beautiful Porshe Cayman S that was awesome. He was lapping the field. Bob knows more about what was going on than I. Maybe he'll post tomorrow night. They had the Enduro today and it's raining steadly here.
I'm 30 mins away from the track so I couldn't resist going and finally meeting Bob, and getting into the pits to see the cars. Enclosed is a picture of the Porshe. Behind it is one of the 2 cars Bob was crewing for. Also included is a link to VIR. Jarrell
VIRginia International Raceway - Home

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks

Thanks for the friendly welcome and all of the answers. I am thinking of putting a Ford 2.3 liter 4 cyl turbo charged engine in a GT. Has it been done before ? Any info on getting one stuffed in a GT ?

Thanks in advance
John K

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
Oh my thanks for the info Jarrell.
I've got the use of some digital scales for only a short time as in one day only.
Your info on the weight will help out tremendously!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts