Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Certified Opelholic
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey i got great news today.
Millers Machine called from San Antonio TX and left a message on my answering machine
"your short block is done and sitting on a pallet. Give us a call to set up payment and shipping."

oh yeah 2.2 with Crower rods and Rally Bob spec'ed pistons :D

Man I am a happy camper. I am so used to hearing sorry sir but we cant do your motor or heads or whatever.
or they take a whole year to get me my motor (yeah no kidding my race car motor took over a year)

Or they wait a few weeks and I get a box of parts back.
One time they said my block had been bored .065 so the block was no good.

I got Fed up this time and took it back Home to TX.
Marty Reimer has been telling me for years to take it to Miller's

I take the block to them and I get Not a problem Can do.

Wow!

Anyone know the wt of an Opel Short block?
I am thinking of using BAXglobal for shipping anyone have any better ideas?

http://www.baxworld.com/US.asp

thanks
Davegt27

·
Registered
214 Posts
I had one shipped to me recently. It had timing chain cover and oil pan attached. The box was super "heavy" duty too, and it went around 250lbs if I remember. So I'm guessing around 200lbs.

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
Kim Barr Racing in Garland, TX

davegt27 said:
Hey i got great news today.
Millers Machine called from San Antonio TX and left a message on my answering machine
"your short block is done and sitting on a pallet. Give us a call to set up payment and shipping."

oh yeah 2.2 with Crower rods and Rally Bob spec'ed pistons :D

Man I am a happy camper. I am so used to hearing sorry sir but we cant do your motor or heads or whatever.
or they take a whole year to get me my motor (yeah no kidding my race car motor took over a year)

Or they wait a few weeks and I get a box of parts back.
One time they said my block had been bored .065 so the block was no good.

I got Fed up this time and took it back Home to TX.
Marty Reimer has been telling me for years to take it to Miller's

I take the block to them and I get Not a problem Can do.

Wow!

Anyone know the wt of an Opel Short block?
I am thinking of using BAXglobal for shipping anyone have any better ideas?

http://www.baxworld.com/US.asp

thanks
Davegt27
Here's another source if you ever need any more Opel machining done. They did all the machining, both my '72 head and '71 block, on my 2.15 engine build-up and turn-around time was about 7-10 days on each, even using Opel 9mm valves and getting my spec'ed parts sourced. :eek:

Though they're primarily a Chevy race shop, my Opel build-up was a "NO PROBLEM, CAN DO!" for them . . . as it should be for any good machine shop. :D

·
1450 Seeker...
613 Posts
I use www.unishippers.com They are a broker so you get the lowest price possible. They can even arrange door-to-door shipping with power liftgate. I had an engine shipped from a member here from Tennessee or Kentucky, the shipping weight was 100 lbs (shortblock with oil pan and timing cover) on a pallet wrapped in plastic, shipped for $110 for a door-to-terminal type shipment, and it was in a day early. More recently I shipped with them again, this time a new transaxle with torque converter for my Buick, that was just over $200, and it was a lot heavier, again on a pallet wrapped in plastic.

I would imagine that would want something a little tighter for a freshly rebuilt motor.

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
Kim Barr info

davegt27 said:
thanks Guys

looks like i will use this service

http://www.freightcenter.com/go2/rates us.htm

cost will be $140--I used 250lbs for the wt size was 29 X 23 X 22

its on a pallet ready to go

Otto you have a phone number for Kim Bar racing. I need a head done.

thanks
Davegt27
The headwork on my 2.15 ('72 head using Opel 2.2 valves, exhausts cut down to 38mm (1.5") for unshrouding, hardened Jay-Lo exhaust seats, 9mm bronze guides, exhaust guide tops machined to fit umbrella seals and valve pockets machine ported with "Chevy SB" broaches and then blended in) is nothing short of awesome. :eek: Their info is:

KIM BARR RACING ENGINES
3734 CAVALIER DR
GARLAND, TX 75042
(972)272-6121

1 - 6 of 6 Posts