Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, here is one for the "hardened" Opel fellar's (or ladies). I am wondering if anyone knows what the weight distribution of the Opel GT w/1.9L is on the front and rear wheels? I would like to determine roughly where the center of gravity is in reference to the front of the vehicle. I am supposing you are now asking yourself "why in the heck does he want to know that?" Well since it is about -20 deg C ( -68 deg F) here today it is too cold to be out in the garage and besides being a single car garage there is not much room to work on the GT when you have a snowblower, shovels, kids sliding gear and other normal garage items crammed in there. So I started thinking about a discussion I had with a friend awhile ago about my wanting to attempt (for the first time) to rebuild my 1.9L engine. I explained the room issue and the fact that the engine would have to be dropped out the bottom. We came up with a conclusion that 2 full car length ramps would best suit my needs (didn’t want to place the car on stands due to immobility aspect). The twist is he described a set of ramps he had once seen that when you drive the car up on the ramp it would then “teeter” forward leveling out with the ground and giving you plenty of height to work under the full length. Sounds good, but can it be done? Hence my question of trying to determine the CofG which I think we will have to know. Of course this is just a fun concept on paper at this point to play around with. Anybody now the weight values or seen ramps with this design before? What are your thoughts?

·
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After reading JGard18's post today and "hand -raulically" figuring out the conversion of degrees F to degrees C (calculator was upstairs), I realized that I made a "digital" malfunction with the calculator on my conversion in this post. It should read -4 deg F not -68 deg F. Man that is cold even for us Canucks!

·
Super Moderator
6,035 Posts
So, John, what you SHOULD have done was quitely hit the "edit" button, made the change, and slipped off into the night. The BEST part about this site is that you can fix mistakes you make on your posts LONG after they are published. So you can look BRILLIANT to future readers, rather than appear to be a poor speller. Whihc this engnier is definitly NOT!

(waiting for Otto to POUNCE on this!)

·
Super Moderator
14,180 Posts
jpiper said:
Hey, here is one for the "hardened" Opel fellar's (or ladies). I am wondering if anyone knows what the weight distribution of the Opel GT w/1.9L is on the front and rear wheels?
I should know this one, but can't recall offhand. Any of the old Opel road tests would have this info. However, if there's anyone in the central Connecticut area that has a GT, I have racing scales and can weigh a car in short order. So you'd have the weight on all 4 wheels, front/rear bias, side/side bias, etc.

Bob

·
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Keith;
Thanks for the info, and since I wasn't getting any responses to the post I figured I might as well insert something myself. Will keep the info in mind for future reference.

RallyBob;
I really had you "racer guys" in mind when I placed this post because I was thinking maybe you utilized C of G calculations in setting up your suspensions/car handling. Am I thinking too far out there?

·
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rallybob/19693SGTEOPEL
While I was looking for some info in my filing cabinet for my son's project, low and behold in my Opel folder I found a photo copy of a 1969 Road & Track Road Test article on the Opel GT. I didn't even remember I had such an item. Anyway, 19693SGTEOPEL you were pretty close with your "guess-timate". The values quoted (w/driver) are 54 front/46 rear. I have placed a copy of the scanned image in my album on site and if anyone is interested I can also email the pic. Thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
Not that it really matters, but.....

Several of the local car dealerships use the type of ramp you are describing to highlight certain cars out in front. The same ramp is used for several different cars, trucks, and minivans, so there must be some sort of trick to it that makes them work no matter where the center of gravity is.

I was planning on taking a picture, but I haven't gotten out of the house much the last few days. (It is really cold here) The ramps are constructed, if you will, in the shape of the state of Nevada. Imagine the Utah side about 18 feet long and the northern half of the California side about 10 feet. Seperate those 2 parallel sides by about 4 feet, add a top and the remaining side and you're in there.

I whipped up a quick drawing to hopefully illustrate the dimension I would think is actually the most important:

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
continuing:

The green line above represents where the car will be before any of the weight of the car passes the pivit point. As long as this part of the ramp is longer than the wheelbase of the car, then all of the weight of the car will be on the ramp before it can possibly move.

Then, after the ramp has pivited down, as long as the 2 parallel parts of the ramp are long enough to get the center of mass forward of the pivit point the ramp will be stabile in the down position. In the case of an Opel that would need to be at least 7 feet or so, but even a full sized pickup wouldn't need much more than 8 or 9, so fail conservative with 10 and your can work on your truck or car too.

You could also design the ramp with the short parallel leg intentionally short, so the car can't pivit the ramp. Add in even a $29 boat winch to PULL the front of the ramp down, and a couple of support legs in the rear to hold it after it is down, and you won't have to take any roller coaster rides in the car. The whole works would be shifted from outside the car, and certainly more easily than with any jack. You could then keep the angle of the ramp very low and use the winch to pull cars up onto the ramp as well.

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
With the shorter leg

This shape has a winch for pulling the car onboard, then pulling the nose down to raise the whole car. With all manual controls it would work nice and slow (slower is safer) and still get the job done with minimal effort and time. Lifting the car off the engine and trans would be as easy as slowly releasing a hand winch.

You could even use it just as a big ramp for things like oil changes or the like where the whole works would be OK at an angle for a while. It would make detailing the undercarrage neat on, say, an old Olympia you were getting ready to tak to a car show.

By the way, anyone building a new garage?

·
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I re-sent another pic in JPEG format but because I had to reduce the size of the pic in order to obtain the file limit size I am not sure of the how the pic quality will turn out. To boot it was a photo copy so the quality wasn't that good to start with. I can send you the TIFF file (254 KB) or re-try another scan if you want a better pic. Send me a private email and include your address if you are interested.
Thanks to Oldopelguy for the helpful hints. When this project moves from the conceptual stage to design and eventually fabrication stages I will be sure to post some pics.

·
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Gary;
I will try to get a better scan and then try to enhance it some with PaintShopPro7. Will send it once I have it done. Right now I have to get back to texturing a ceiling in the soon to be new computer room.

·
Administrator
10,293 Posts
jpiper said:
Gary;
I will try to get a better scan and then try to enhance it some with PaintShopPro7. Will send it once I have it done. Right now I have to get back to texturing a ceiling in the soon to be new computer room.
I hear you. I wanted to work on my Opel today and set up the garage a little better. Then one of my neighbors called and I spent 5 hours working on his computer. He had 57 virus containing files. Of course the virus was the one that disabled the anti-virus program each time you installed it. What a pain....

·
Registered
33 Posts
GARYS HELP

I hear you. I wanted to work on my Opel today and set up the garage a little better. Then one of my neighbors called and I spent 5 hours working on his computer. He had 57 virus containing files. Of course the virus was the one that disabled the anti-virus program each time you installed it. What a pain....
Try having that happen on a network with filesharing.... OH THE JOYS OF MAINTAINING NETWORKS

BTW gary.. whyd you let me hit the pivotal transition from "cool opel newbie" to opeler.. i think the first one hits the spot... damn those post counts....

·
Administrator
10,293 Posts
Re: GARYS HELP

mysticopelnva said:
BTW gary.. whyd you let me hit the pivotal transition from "cool opel newbie" to opeler.. i think the first one hits the spot... damn those post counts....
That is automatic, based on the number of posts. You can always get creative and chose your own in your User CP. (Psst.. Check out the Platinum theme);)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts