Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There’s a rust free California 70’ GT coming up on the market for sale. Since it’s close to where I live, I went to go see it and with the permission of the seller I took some pictures of some of the areas that are the most vulnerable to.

Generally speaking it’s the same as mine rust wise, that would be if I never painted it since the original factory paint job. It’s got some areas with surface rust, the worst being in front of the radiator, the battery tray is very solidly in place and looked like mine before I prepped & painted it. Behind the front wheels more rust spots and underneath the rocker/door jambs.

Overall solid, if you took a wire wheel to the rust, it’s just surface rust and you’d hit clean metal. I took a car key and scratched some of the areas. A total strip down, prep, some body work and paint and you have a good solid GT.
Lately I’m seeing so many sad cases in the eastern U.S., Midwest and Europe where GT’s are either carved up for parts or up & running, attractive to buy and then sadly when you start into it for a total restoration the money and time involved IF it’s even salvageable it’s years and thousands of dollars to restore.

The drawback with this car, it’s currently being put up for sale without a title.
I purchased a 70’ GT that had no title back in the mid 90’s and it just had to go through a painless lien sale process and a couple hundred bucks later (the DMV just wants their money) and it was mine with a clear title. I told him what I did before and suggested that it would be easier to sell if he took the time to get the title cleared.

I also encouraged him to put his local FB ad on the Opel specific site’s as well as this one and post many pictures disclosing the condition of the body, He asked how much I thought it was worth, he has it listed for $2k, I told him if I were in a better position to buy I’d personally be more inclined to pay about $1,200 but encouraged him to try and get as close to what he’s asking for as he can.

I’ve got my hands full enough getting my current GT where I want it but want to help out if I can getting it to someone who’s been looking for a good project GT.

What would the value of this car be with or without a title?

·
Opel Key Master
4,881 Posts
To me, I would be willing to pay more for the car if it’s close, and don’t have to ship it. I’ve paid $2000 for a project car with little rust areas to fix. I wouldn’t have any problem getting it titled, so that’s why I would be willing to go a bit more for a solid shell.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
High praise from someone who’s seen just about everything. I hope you don’t mind me passing along your expertise to the seller. It’s funny, when he put me on the spot after circling the GT with my camera and asked what I’d pay, I was fumbling with what to say that’s why I posted this and to hopefully get it some more recognition.

Just hoping whoever does end up with it doesn’t carve it up like the 73’ rust bucket I just purchased engine, transmission & rear end from. That was turned into a dragster. FWIW he purchased that one (not running) for $950.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I think you are on the money at $1200 with no title. It looks pretty rough in the photos. Plus, regardless of whether they advertise as "all there" when it is partially disassembled, there is no telling what little nickel and dime parts are missing.

It may be worth more than that if there is no rust through anywhere on the body; although, surely the belly pan under the battery has some rust. I paid a premium for mine because, other than the aformentioned belly pan/ battery tray issue, it is truly rust free. I hate ealing with rust.

For me, shipping from Cal. would be a killer.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I can't / won't comment on value of an unseen GT but I will share my experience with getting 2 GT California titles.

Because the original CA registration slips '69 -'75 listed a lienholder I was required to obtain a notarized statement that the lien was satisfied.

In the case of a '73 GT I had purchased without a title I made an appointment, then trailered the GT to a Highway Patrol station.
The officer said he was looking forward to my visit because he had not seen an Opel GT in a long time.
He inspected the GT with special attention to the VIN. All 3 VIN locations were present and matched, which is very important.
In 15 or 20 minutes, when I imagine any lien or theft records were checked, I was told the title would be in the mail.
IIRC the rental pickup and trailer cost more than the state fees, which were not expensive.
I did not include registration to drive because I was selling this one out of state.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts