Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I've learned a lot here already...Thanks! Doubt I will be trying to mod my GT with the 2.8 Merc. V6 I have, eventhough Dan Aho on this site got a 71 GT. with this install. The 3.8 Chevy seems to be the craze at this site as a few of you are doing this and some are doing 4 bangers with turbo's ect. I'm just curious why no one uses the Buick Aluminum block V6 since many people put them in sports cars and there are companies now reproducing the blocks and performance parts. Personally I wish to have old school technology without a cumputer running my car, nor a rice burner with a Turbo. I had a Chrysler Lebaron 2.2 with a turbo and it got with it around 30 mph once the turbo lag caught up, kept it for about 5 yrs. after two head gaskets blew I got rid of it!

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
The Chevy 2.8/3.1/3.4 series V6 is a 60 degree block like your Ford one. They fit with a minimum of cutting.

The 3.8 Buick and other Chevy V6s are 90 degree blocks and much wider thus harder to fit. That being said several people have used the alloy Buick V8 215 CID engine which is the same width - the Buick V6 is the same size with just two cylinders removed from the length.

It is far easier to use a sandard CIH Opel motor as even the 2.4 litre ones are the same size as the original motor and have the same bolt patterns.
People stick to the Weber carbs to stay away from electronics too.

·
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply!

Thanks Jim

I'm new here an still learning from you all here! I have contacted Opel GT source and they are working on building a header as their old source was discontinued, and they have two used 2.4 engines in stock at $2,500 each that they won't sell until they build a test stand to run them on! This is why I've been seeking an alternate, as I've found sights where you can get a rebuilt Buick V6 for about $1,600.00. Starting to sound like my Mercury engine would be the cheapest and easiest engine for me to install now?
I have a Sterling VW based kit car that eats the road for lunch and is built around Old School technology! 1835cc dual Webbers and header pushing an 1800 lb. car roof height is 3 ft, low power to weight ratio and low center of gravity makes this car eat 45 mph curves at 60-70 mph all day long. I almost think it impossible to roll this car, and if you do you would be going way too fast for my comfort!!! I just want to use the kiss method with as little wiring and headches as possible and build one GT from the two I have. I've met a few people with sunbeam tigers using the Buick, one said he still had to work on the suspension some as the extra weight seemed to plow him through turns; not something a sports car is supposed to do...I imagine this would also be the case with the GT with a V6.

Sincerely,
Rick

·
tomking
2,499 Posts
Rick I have 3 2.2 liter opel fuel injected engines of which I am going to keep one or two and sell what I dont keep. I too need to set them on the stand and run each but will sell them as is for $1500 each. They each have about 100,000km and are middle 80's FI engines.

·
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks anyway Tom

Tom

I'll be moving my Opels tomorrow from my folks house, moved back to California and had to settle for a house with no garage. Garage is now finished and moving into it, Yeah! I have to find out what I've got in my GT's, one is a 1970 & the other a 72. One looks like it has a brand new short block installed? And there's a FI manifold not installed, and what looks to be an old header installed on one with a side draft Webber. Opel Gt Source sells used 2.2 long blocks for $1200 and a factory reman for $2800, in either case I'll have to find out if mine are both 1900's or what? Since I'll be planning on a total restoration as well as engine I will be spending some moola and wish to do it right the first time and will rebuild, or buy rebuilt as I want to drive the car once finished and not have to tinker or rebuild at a latter date as the time to rebuild anything is before paint and finish.

Sincerely,
Rick

·
Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer
7,700 Posts

·
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Big Thank You Chaz!!!

Charles

Too cool, thanks soo much for that insight! Great food for thought! Got parts and engines, just preparing for the start!!! Going to post a quote now that it's come to me...

·
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
rangerrick said:
Charles

Too cool, thanks soo much for that insight! Great food for thought! Got parts and engines, just preparing for the start!!! Going to post a quote now that it's come to me...
"A Fool and his money are soon parted, when in doubt always use the K.I.S.S. method"!

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
rangerrick said:
Thanks Jim

a few people with sunbeam tigers using the Buick, one said he still had to work on the suspension some as the extra weight seemed to plow him through turns; not something a sports car is supposed to do...I imagine this would also be the case with the GT with a V6.

Sincerely,
Rick
Not so! The Opel CIH is a cast iron lump that weighs near 300 pounds.
The Buick/Rover alloy V8 is about 320 lbs - your V6 is probably not much different and may even be lighter!

·
boomerang opeler
5,670 Posts
i would of thought the buick/rover V8 was a lot lighter than the engine in a tiger (a cast iron V8) and the handeling problems are due to caster and camber not reset to allow for it .the spring rate will be all to cock too

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.