Opel GT Forum banner
41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Opel Intern
1,290 Posts
Kieth,

As always, very helpful advice. What I have decided to do is to try to get one in good, working order that I can just bolt in. That way I can have my GT on the road.

Then, since I am never able to back down from a fight, I'll take this bugger over to my uncle's shop and unleash the fury of machines which build tank parts for the US Army! I will have this rotator fixed. . . just after I have put a pre-fixed one in . . .

I spoke with my uncle today and he suggested that I try a titanium coated tap. It is harder and should be able to cut the harder metal of the rotator gear.

Now that you mention that the threads didn't go all the way through the gear, it makes me think that I did 'bottom out' both of the taps.

I'd like this car on the road next week . . . (Sunday at midnight still counts...) and I can't let a broken headlight be what keeps me from doing that!

Jay

PS. . . Happy New Year to the Jewish crowd! (Shenah Tovah)

·
Opel Intern
1,290 Posts
Hello again! This is a simple question. I obtained another rotator assembly for the passenger side but it needs some lubricant.

What kind of lubricant should I use?

Thanks,

Jay

·
1000 Post Club
4,117 Posts
I use a White Lithium Grease. You can buy it in a squeeze tube or spray can. Once you apply it, rotate the assembly a few times and it will work the grease in.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
my headlights used to work but the lever stuck in the back position is there any way that I can manually open the headlights

·
Bikini Inspector
5,771 Posts
sounds like a rotator nut or bolt loosened up or stuck.

I would try this first though. squirt some wd40 or pbblaster on headlight cable and mounts. underneath the hood by hood hinges

with the straw attached squirt a lil bit between bucket gap on the rotator itself, and next time car is jacked up squirt some on the underside of headlight lever, where the cable goes into its casing.

give it a jolt, and work it a bunch and keep spraying until it moves to your pleasing. if this doesnt work buckets need to come out

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
sounds like a rotator nut or bolt loosened up or stuck.

I would try this first though. squirt some wd40 or pbblaster on headlight cable and mounts. underneath the hood by hood hinges

with the straw attached squirt a lil bit between bucket gap on the rotator itself, and next time car is jacked up squirt some on the underside of headlight lever, where the cable goes into its casing.

give it a jolt, and work it a bunch and keep spraying until it moves to your pleasing. if this doesnt work buckets need to come out
I tried WD 40 the passenger side light doesn't lock so I can rotate that one but only slightly.
can I remove the buckets by somehow disconnecting th cable? the lights rolled over fine until I pulled the lever back a little bit too far now its stuck

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
You can disconnect the cable, it's located between the 2 hood hinges, at least that way you can tell if it is the cable or the light. Sounds like something came loose or you broke the flex plates. Can't remove them until you get them to open enough to work on the inside of them :yup:

·
Bikini Inspector
5,771 Posts
no, but you will be able to see if the bind is the lights themselves or the cable and its hookups.

Mine was vet stubborn and required a real good wack until I sprayed wd40 many times. Now they are like Butter.

·
Resident Whippersnapper
1,221 Posts
I have a small supply (about 50 +/-) of a 12.9 grade socket head cap screw of the correct size and length, if anyone has trouble finding some.
I'll take 6 please, PM me with your info. Gotta re-do my passenger side mechanism and might as well put in correct bolts on the driver's side.

·
Super Moderator
9,755 Posts
I'll take 6 please, PM me with your info. Gotta re-do my passenger side mechanism and might as well put in correct bolts on the driver's side.
It's been a while, let me see if I can put my hands on the box........

·
Super Moderator
5,947 Posts

·
Registered
922 Posts
They're stuck closed. the lever is stuck in the rear position. will disconnecting the cable enable me to roll the lights over?
If you disconnect the cable from the mechanism at the front between the hood hinges, as mentioned by poor gt, and can then move the cable freely, you have determined that your cable and lever connection are not your problem. If the lever is still stuck when disconnected from the front mechanism, then you have a problem with the cable or lever mechanism.
I believe that if your cable is the problem, with the cable disconnected from the front mechanism, if the light buckets themselves are OK, you can open them...I don't see why not. They would be disconnected from the stuck cable.

·
Resident Whippersnapper
1,221 Posts
After a Father's day trip to the local hardware store, I found they have metric grade 12.9 bolts in the correct length, thread size, and with an Allen cap. They're the same size as the exhaust heat shield bolts on my 1950s vintage Snapper mini tractor with a Kohler big single (16hp from 500cc? Woo-hoo!!!).

·
Opeler
1,742 Posts
They're stuck closed. the lever is stuck in the rear position. will disconnecting the cable enable me to roll the lights over?
Yes, then take the cable completely loose from the front end. Pull it free, and attach it to the hood. Now make a little funnel for it, make it tight to the outer cable.

Your car needs a cocktail. Three jiggers of Acetone, to one cup of automatic transmission fluid.

Fill the funnel, go to work, come home, fill the funnel, before you go to bed fill the funnel. Lather rinse repeat until she's had her fill for 3 days.

After two days you should be able to give the lever a nudge, and it will move. Lather rinse repeat all of the third day, or more.

When that cable slides as smooth as a hot knife in butter, then put it back in, and reattach it.

Oh, and spray some penetrating oil down the hole alongside the headlight lever.

Now this is just a quick fix, it'll probably only last ten years or so.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
You can disconnect the cable, it's located between the 2 hood hinges, at least that way you can tell if it is the cable or the light. Sounds like something came loose or you broke the flex plates. Can't remove them until you get them to open enough to work on the inside of them :yup:
which bolts have to come loose in order to get the cable off?
:banghead:

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
which bolts have to come loose in order to get the cable off?
:banghead:
I guess the old curmudgeons are too busy complaining about people who don't search to take ten seconds to actually help someone.

George, in front of the radiator, between the hood hinges, there is a pin that connects the cable to the headlight linkage. I don't think there's a bolt, just a clip that looks like a cross between a safety pin and a paper clip. Take that off, and then you can remove the pin that holds the cable and linkage together.

Or are you wanting to actually remove the cable from the car?

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Just don't undo the bolts on the linkage, or the lights will turn out of sink. That would be your last resort, in order to tell which light is not rotating, if it is the light assembly. The cable is easier to replace :yup: by far. Good luck :veryhappy

41 - 60 of 67 Posts