14,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1971 Ford GT
Henderson, KY · about a day ago ·
Contact Seller

• About This Vehicle

• Automatic transmission
Seller's Description
For Sale. 71’ Opel GT. 310 cu in Ford. Overdrive trans, 9” Ford with 3:89 gears, 4 link, coil overs on all four, disc brakes, 2x3 chassis, A/C, too much to list. Message me for more info. Serious inquiries, no trades.

OMG! Look how classy and wonderful that interior is! :)

·
RunOpel
1,246 Posts
Very nice Opel or modified Ford/Opel :sneaky: No price means it is expensive and if your looking for a deal, don't ask how much it costs. Your answer will be to much for you to spend :)

·
Registered
547 Posts
No price means it is expensive and if your looking for a deal, don't ask how much it costs.
Pet peeve of mine.

My rule is that the person who asks should provide the price.

If you see a cool car in a parking lot and wait around for the owner to ask if he'll sell it to you, you don't make him name a price. You make an offer, you asked him to sell. If you don't have a price in mind, stop wasting his time and leave him be. Burden is on you. It's okay to say "If you were to sell it, do you have any idea what you'd want for it?" just to inform yourself about the vehicle a bit. But you don't say "I want to buy your car" and then make them name the price.

If you have something you want to sell, and you post an ad and try to get interest and find someone to buy it from you, you don't make them all name a price. It's an ad, you announce your price, you're asking others to buy. If you don't have a price in mind, then it's not time to post. It's like inviting someone over to your house and then making them stand in the rain until they ask to come in. And it's not like you don't know what you want for it, so it's like saying "I know what I want for it, but I'm hoping one of you is a sucker and offers me more than that." Stop wasting the time of everyone who's curious. Whether someone wants to buy or not is massively dependant on price.

You put a $100,000 price tag on a $50,000 car, you're going to get ignored. But if you know you want $50,000 and don't just say that (or say $60,000), it's because in the back of your head you're hoping someone's going to offer you $100,000 out of the blue. You're basically silently insulting every potential buyer. And ditto for the reverse. It's like muttering "I'm hoping to exploit you."

If someone's asking me either way, and not giving a price, then they're wasting my time, and they're going to get their time wasted by a lowball or highball.

·
Vendor
2,586 Posts
No price listed.
Yes, this seems like a strange way to try and sell such an interesting and unique car. Facebook Marketplace? A half-dozen photos (none of the engine or undercarriage) and a few lines of description?
If this car is as nice as it looks in the few pics, throw it up on an auction site and place a reserve on it that guarantees a decent price if it sells. Add another 100 pics, some build photos, videos, etc. and I bet you can do as well at the silver Florida GT with the Mazda engine and Volvo rear that sold recently on BAT. That one went for $35K, and this one looks as nice, or possibly even nicer (hard to tell without more pics though)

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In my opinion, he's doing it exactly right. Anyone who has tried to sell a super sweet car like this is sick and tired of one jerk hole after another coming forward with a bid and never paying for it or countless jerk holes trying to low bid him. In my opinion, all you need to do is look at the quality of the work you see. This guy wasn't flucking around. He made a top tier drag car replica and he wants what it's worth. You don't put in that kind of classy interior and make that perfect an exterior and then take it to the drag strip every weekend and beat the living crap out of it. It's a high powered masterpiece, in my opinion. This car is on the level of Earl Metzler's car. Don't low ball me, pay me what I'm asking for in cash. Earl's car:

Earl's car don't have no super classy interior, it's filled with all the top dragster gauges and stuff, but it's the same kind of car. Earl don't drag it. He made an elite drag car "replica". "Replica" meaning that if you want to you could take it to the strip and beat the puss out of anyone. "Elite" meaning he doesn't have to, he already knows he can beat the puss out of you if he wanted to. Both cars are to look at and drive around in knowing that your schitt don't stink.

:)

·
Vendor
2,586 Posts
In my opinion, he's doing it exactly right. Anyone who has tried to sell a super sweet car like this is sick and tired of one jerk hole after another coming forward with a bid and never paying for it or countless jerk holes trying to low bid him. In my opinion, all you need to do is look at the quality of the work you see. This guy wasn't flucking around. He made a top tier drag car replica and he wants what it's worth. You don't put in that kind of classy interior and make that perfect an exterior and then take it to the drag strip every weekend and beat the living crap out of it. It's a high powered masterpiece, in my opinion. This car is on the level of Earl Metzler's car. Don't low ball me, pay me what I'm asking for in cash. Earl's car:

View attachment 428111

Earl's car don't have no super classy interior, it's filled with all the top dragster gauges and stuff, but it's the same kind of car. Earl don't drag it. He made an elite drag car "replica". "Replica" meaning that if you want to you could take it to the strip and beat the puss out of anyone. "Elite" meaning he doesn't have to, he already knows he can beat the puss out of you if he wanted to. Both cars are to look at and drive around in knowing that your schitt don't stink.

:)
You might be right, and of course, any serious buyer will go check out the car in person, or have it looked at by a trustworthy appraiser. I don't think he is doing it justice by tossing it up on FB with a handful of pictures though. Most reputable collector car auction sites like BAT would likely sell this car, and get good $$, even with the fees. I don't know if they have a problem with buyers flaking out after the auction, but if so, I have never heard about it. It just seems like the more eyeballs on the car, the better chance to get top dollar (if that is the goal here) It could also be that the current owner is just putting out some feelers to see what kind of offers he gets before he decides if it is worth selling.
Whatever the case, it looks like a really well done car (I'd love to see more pics), and I wish the seller the best of luck in finding it a new home.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You might find 10 people in the whole country willing to pay the $10K-$20K that car is no doubt worth. I do know that selling a really sweet car on Ebay is a PIA. There are jerk holes in India and the Middle East that seem to love to bid on cars until they are the highest bidder, then never pay. I've seen this happen over 100 times. The seller of my car repeatedly had bids up to close to $10K for the shell and they never paid. Almost all those jerk holes were in India. I contacted him after he took his ad down and got it for $1500.

·
Opeler
1,167 Posts
You might find 10 people in the whole country willing to pay the $10K-$20K that car is no doubt worth. I do know that selling a really sweet car on Ebay is a PIA. There are jerk holes in India and the Middle East that seem to love to bid on cars until they are the highest bidder, then never pay. I've seen this happen over 100 times. The seller of my car repeatedly had bids up to close to $10K for the shell and they never paid. Almost all those jerk holes were in India. I contacted him after he took his ad down and got it for $1500.
All you have to do is limit who can bid.....its easy.
Karl

·
1,696 Posts
I would suggest you ask Vickie & Allen Gage what they have into Vickie's V8 Gt to get an idea what these folks would need to get to come close to breaking even on their efforts. If the motors were done even half right they alone were probably in the 20-25 grand range.
Vickie's V8 GT.jpg

·
Über Genius
8,960 Posts
Pet peeve of mine.

My rule is that the person who asks should provide the price.

If you see a cool car in a parking lot and wait around for the owner to ask if he'll sell it to you, you don't make him name a price. You make an offer, you asked him to sell. If you don't have a price in mind, stop wasting his time and leave him be. Burden is on you. It's okay to say "If you were to sell it, do you have any idea what you'd want for it?" just to inform yourself about the vehicle a bit. But you don't say "I want to buy your car" and then make them name the price.

If you have something you want to sell, and you post an ad and try to get interest and find someone to buy it from you, you don't make them all name a price. It's an ad, you announce your price, you're asking others to buy. If you don't have a price in mind, then it's not time to post. It's like inviting someone over to your house and then making them stand in the rain until they ask to come in. And it's not like you don't know what you want for it, so it's like saying "I know what I want for it, but I'm hoping one of you is a sucker and offers me more than that." Stop wasting the time of everyone who's curious. Whether someone wants to buy or not is massively dependant on price.

You put a $100,000 price tag on a $50,000 car, you're going to get ignored. But if you know you want $50,000 and don't just say that (or say $60,000), it's because in the back of your head you're hoping someone's going to offer you $100,000 out of the blue. You're basically silently insulting every potential buyer. And ditto for the reverse. It's like muttering "I'm hoping to exploit you."

If someone's asking me either way, and not giving a price, then they're wasting my time, and they're going to get their time wasted by a lowball or highball.
Grocery shopping must be hell for you. LOL

Reactions: jayhawkjesse33

·
Über Genius
8,960 Posts
The reason he has so few pictures and no price listed is very simple.

"Honey, yes, I'm trying to sell it. I have it listed online right now"

·
Vendor
2,586 Posts
The reason he has so few pictures and no price listed is very simple.

"Honey, yes, I'm trying to sell it. I have it listed online right now"
That's what I was insinuating when I mentioned "putting out feelers" ;)
I still think this could be a $30K+ GT if it looks as good as the handful of pics. Even at that price, the builder will probably lose money.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
One of the facebook Opelers got in tough with him. He's asking $35K. Yeah, not too many buyers at that price. But I've heard of rich eastern Europeans, probably Russian oligarks, who have paid that much for modified GT's.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've got $40K in expenses leading up to the completion of my car, but I did all my own work, except for engine and bodywork. Keith Lundholm's Yellow Blaze car cost the owner $75K-$100K to have made and it just looks like a normal Opel with a 2.4, FI, and A/C. It would cost you well over $100K to have Keith make a replica of my car with every single dang thing modified.

·
Registered
547 Posts
The state of the custom market for almost anything is that you'll spend at least $3 for every $1 of value you might get out of it.

What it costs you to do something is irrespective of the value it adds to others. When you do something custom for you, it's because it's for you.

Custom cars are like tattoos. You don't spent time and money to get them for other people to value them. And no one who wants a tattoo picks one off of someone else's body and says "I want one just like that."

If you like bright pink, go nuts, paint your house bright pink. But if you want to sell your house, paint it the same unthreatening beige as everyone else.

This is even more so magnified in the EV community. I'm not especially proliferate, but I've heard of I think 2 EV sale ever (one was yesterday). No one wants someone else's custom project. People who've spent $50,000 on a flawless, every detail considered electric conversion, can't get more than scrap value for it 5 years later. They end up parting them out. It's heartbreaking. But no one wants something that you basically had to engineer yourself in order to know how to fix. It's not special to anyone but you.

It's why with my car I'm especially cost-conscious, because even though I have no intention of selling, I know I'm lucky to get the $400 I paid for the carcass back out of her if I wanted to sell, and that only if I took all my own stuff back out.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts