Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Tazdbs 71 Opel GT
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know what the specifications are on a Stage III clutch assembly from Opels Unlimited? Also how could you tell them apart from a standard 1.9 GT set? Has anyone got one from them and how did it perform?
Thanks,
Dick

·
Senior Contributor
5,083 Posts
Opels Unlimited "Stages" are of their own making and don't really mean anything. The real question is what you want to do. If you are trying to go heavy duty on the clutch then changing to a Chevy S10 clutch is probably the way to go. The clutch is 9 1/8" diameter compared to the stock 9" one and you have to machine the flywheel flat and add tapped holes in order to mate the clutch to the flywheel.

·
Tazdbs 71 Opel GT
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Clarification

I got a "stage III" clutch assembly but the flywheel, disc and pressure plate are exactly the same as the one I took off the old engine. I can't tell any difference in them at all. They look the same, have the same size springs, etc. and their disc is 8 mm thick and hardly any thicker at all than the used one with 40,000 miles on it. On the new disc from the rivet to the outside edge of the disc material it is only about 1 mm. If I can't tell the difference then I'll send it back and keep what I have.

I am putting in a reworked 1.9L to a 2.0 but I am using it for a daily driver so no hard driving to speak off but if I want to beat a minivan off the line I don't want to drop the clutch doing it. :haha:

Thanks

·
Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer
7,574 Posts
If they are like Opel GT Source ( Opel GT Source --- Online Store --- Clutch and transmission)

Then Stage 1 is stock 8" clutch with big springs (There are a couple of varieties of replacement clutch discs)

Then Stage 2 is 2.0L 8.5" clutch

Then Stage 3 is 2.2.L/2.4L 9" clutch

But as Mark said, they are of his creation and could be something completely different. The above is a "best guess".

·
Registered
87 Posts
Had anyone machined a 1.9 flywheel so he could mount 2.2 clutch disk and pressure plate? What other stuff you have to do to the flywheel? Does the 2.2 pressure plate get inside the 1.9 transmission aluminium cover?

I'm doing the same thing as the topic starter, 1.9 engine bored to 2.0 and i intend to upgrade the clutch. I prepair the car for street driving but i want it to be able to handle repeatedly sporty driving style.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Had anyone machined a 1.9 flywheel so he could mount 2.2 clutch disk and pressure plate? What other stuff you have to do to the flywheel? Does the 2.2 pressure plate get inside the 1.9 transmission aluminium cover?

I'm doing the same thing as the topic starter, 1.9 engine bored to 2.0 and i intend to upgrade the clutch. I prepair the car for street driving but i want it to be able to handle repeatedly sporty driving style.
In Europe Opel offered what was known as the "caravan/trailer clutch" on the Rekord E as an option for those who towed caravans with their Rekords. I don't know if they still list it but my friends and I used to buy these for our Asconas when we "upgraded" the engines, worked very well on a daily driver and held up quite well on track days as well, road course driving, not drag race that is.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
I'm sorry, no, this was a few years ago. We used to buy them from a local Opel dealership here in Norway, they usually had to order them as they didn't have them in stock but normally it only took 2 or 3 days and it wasn't too expensive either

At the time it was only listed for the Rekord E even though it would fit most CIH engined cars, so if your local Opel dealer has a service minded spare parts department it shouldn't be too difficult to find, we just asked for the "caravan clutch" for the Rekord E

If they can't find it let me know and I'll drop by the dealer that used to sell us these and see if I can find a parts number for you. I no longer live as close as I used to but I'm usually in the area about once a week so it's no hassle, I'd ask at the local Opel dealer if thought it was a remote possibility they would try to help but even inquiring about parts for my 99 Omega usually results in a blank stare and it's like you can smell the fear ...... OH MY GOD THIS IS A QUESTION ABOUT A MODEL THAT ISN'T CURRENT, WHAT DO I DO NOW !!!

·
Tazdbs 71 Opel GT
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry that Todd got aother Opeler

I got a bad engine but I got a refund after I sent it back because I posted it on Youtube, their and my Facebook pages and on this forum. Like this guy, I didn't get reimbursed for my time and labor on the engine removal and troubleshooting.

It is a shame Todd is treating Opelers this way. He could make a good profit if he did things right like OGTS.

Dick

·
Bikini Inspector
5,774 Posts
I got a bad engine but I got a refund after I sent it back because I posted it on Youtube, their and my Facebook pages and on this forum. Like this guy, I didn't get reimbursed for my time and labor on the engine removal and troubleshooting.

It is a shame Todd is treating Opelers this way. He could make a good profit if he did things right like OGTS.

Dick

i thought for sure that was YOUR consumer complaint. and FYI he is making a good profit regardless.

donr for get the opelers who log in here in the last year are a drop in the bucket compared to the amount of USA opelers. there are tons that have nothing to do with our message board, and alot out west. He probably has tons of repeat customers.

He makes plenty of money. enough to live a hobos dream. sleeps all day up all night.

·
Über Genius
9,528 Posts
Ok are we done with the stabbing and drawing blood...
Just wondering.

IMO this vendita has gone about as far as I can stomach.
New opelers show up all the time and need to be (for lack of a better word) eucated on who is reliable and who is not.

Everyone has the option to not read a forum post. Asking people to not post information, because you are tired of reading, it is silly, IMHO.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts