Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Sick with Opelitus
1,374 Posts
Never having air on a GT I'm not sure but would guess air con mounting.

·
Opeler
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought ac also but it seems like I've always seen the ac compressor mounted on the driver side.

·
Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer
7,442 Posts
Accessories in general

·
Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer
7,442 Posts
As everyone has pointed out they have been used for a lot of different accessories...

I havent seen a 1.5L or a block earlier than 1968.. they may not have had them. The 69' Block had them for the A.I.R. emissions system. So they probably just keep the casting for that and obviously A/C, and as Keith pointed out Power Steering on larger Opels, etc..

Long story short.. Large pump driven accessories..

·
Opeler
920 Posts
How about this hole? What is it’s true intended purpose?

I took the DCOEs off tonight and found this makeshift plug, which clearly didn’t work because it had oil dripping off of it and on to the header.

I’d like to properly address it by plugging it or installing the correct fitting.

Thanks!

·
Can Opeler
3,320 Posts
How about this hole? What is it’s true intended purpose?
View attachment 428524

I took the DCOEs off tonight and found this makeshift plug, which clearly didn’t work because it had oil dripping off of it and on to the header.

I’d like to properly address it by plugging it or installing the correct fitting.

Thanks!
That’s the coolant drain plug. You can use it to drain your coolant in the engine block.

The oil dripping on your header appears to be coming from the valve cover gasket or rear cam cover.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,402 Posts
Well, I suppose you could use that as a drain, but it's actually your heater outlet on a 2.2/2.4. Normally there's a short, bent, metal pipe there that you hook up to your heater:

I don't know if that's a standard pipe thread, but you can put a pipe plug in it to permanently close it off.

·
Opeler
920 Posts
That’s the coolant drain plug. You can use it to drain your coolant in the engine block.

The oil dripping on your header appears to be coming from the valve cover gasket or rear cam cover.
Well, I suppose you could use that as a drain, but it's actually your heater outlet on a 2.2/2.4. Normally there's a short, bent, metal pipe there that you hook up to your heater:

View attachment 428530 View attachment 428531 View attachment 428534

I don't know if that's a standard pipe thread, but you can put a pipe plug in it to permanently close it off.

View attachment 428535
Thanks guys. I should have mentioned it was a 2.2 motor, good call Gordo.

Well I’ve done some searching and found an appropriate plug for it. I hope to install it this weekend.

As far as the other oil, the motor has been ran and cranked over quite a bit without the valve cover on when I was trying to figure out my rocker adjustments. So it’s probably from that, I’ll keep an eye out though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts