Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Opeler
1,742 Posts
Since this seems to be a popular topic of late, IE: engine swaps for Opels. Let's discuss this. I'm mainly referring to GT's but we can discuss any of them

For starters I think we all agree that our Number One Gripe, collectively speaking. Is that a perfectly good GT cuts all cut up, and it's never finished. So the end result is it gets scrapped, and there's one less GT to restore someday.

So, referring to the guys who get their dirty little hands on a GT with evil intent to "put a (fill in the blank) init." Here's my list.

1. It's always guys who have never even owned an Opel at all before, much less a GT!

2. It's always, straight to the tear it apart, and cut it up stage.

3. They always talk about how fast it's gonna be, all the goodies they are gonna put on it, and how much horsepower it's gonna make. You never hear about the plans for reinforcing the chassis, upgrading the brakes, how they are going to retain the stock gauges and wiring, practical stuff.

4. If they do, it's usually some shiny new thing, like Wildwood disc brakes, with no way to hang them. Funny, they'll spend money on shiny new stuff, but then they'll patch together the scariest stuff in the world for the rest of it.

5. Most of the time, the plan is to do it in some guys shed out back, or a shop that I would not let work on my Chevette.

Those are my top gripes, what's your's?

Oh, and it goes without saying, that if anybody with any real Mechanical experience, or Opel GT ownership experience tries to discuss the "Project," with them. They either don't believe you, because you don't know what you are talking about. Or their Uncle, or Buddy has it all figured out. Or lastly, they give you the infamous... "You'll See!"

Anybody else care to share a few?

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
16,260 Posts
Well, my gripe might be related, it's about the guys who plan to put the really big engines in: The Dragster Dudes.

You never here from them.

You never see their car.

They don't come to our meets.

A few of our long time members who are long time draggers DO stay with us and contribute their thoughts and expertise, but for the most part the dragster crew might as well have their cars on Mars 'cuz they disappear and we never here from them again. I figure it's because they get bored of driving the same 1/4 mile over and over and over and.....(Yuk! Yuk!)!

Or it's because they never finished their dragster GT.

:sigh:

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
James, you pretty much nailed it. With due respect to those who have the skills and knowledge to pull of a Rickey Slade Buick V8, or a Helliman Ford Zetec motor, my gripes aren't towards those folks. It's the tire kickers who come on here in the way you perfectly described.

Out of roughly 100 thousand GT's produced in it's lifespan, I wonder how many are left out of the majority of that production run that ended up here in the US. The ones lost to the drag racers, to the typical car crashes, the neglect of lying in some backyard, rusting to pieces, the ones that were sent back to Mother Germany....how many are left?

In a shade tree career featuring a need to constantly mess with a perfectly good running car, I completely understand a person coming on here with a desire to "make their GT better". I've just reached that stage where the tried and true, the warmed over modifications as advocated by Gil at the GT Source (and many others), who were there in the beginning and remain here today; those are the best things to do to this car.

It's the styling; the Corvette DNA, that get's these people thinking into reinventing the wheel. Hey, if you want a Vette, C3's are out there for under 10 grand and all of the parts vendors you want to build it any ole way you want. Summit, JC Whitney, Auto Zone, they are but a phone call away for all the goodies you want. A GT is not that easy. Too many quirks and one-offs to accomodate this little car.

There are only X numbers of viable GT's left, to take them out forever in a vain attempt to re-engineer this car for a one-off that in most instances, will be sold for scrap after interest or money or personal knowledge have reached that dead end at road's end. Please, leave them alone; buy an RX7, a Corvette, a 240z and enjoy them for what they are, if you are in need of speed or power.

One more note: the Fiero is under assault as well, with many, some done to amazing standards, becoming faux Ferrari's or Lamborghinis. I just never understood that need to be want to be seen in a fake Ferrari; it's still a Fiero. And it's just one more that will never maintain it's soul as delivered by Pontiac once it gets hacked up. Ranting, raving and drooling, over.

Mike

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
I sold my GT to a guy who said he was gonna put a big block chevy in it....not long after that.. I saw it. Full tubular frame and a 427. Professionally built. Featured on cover of hot rod ( or car craft..?) In 1980./called it Freddys revenge....:haha:
Even Gordon would like it.

·
Premium Member
1,756 Posts
I guess I have a little different view on the "build ups" I read about on the forum. First, I bought my GT brand new in 1971. Drove it for about 17 years before I let it get to the point that I couldn't drive it. Yes, it could have used a bigger engine, my 63 horspower was not all that fast. The car looked great and most the women loved it. When I did the restoration I knew I wanted a bigger engine and a five speed transmission. The 2.4 Opel engine and the Getrag transmission worked out just fine. Rebuilt everything from the ground up, bushings, bearings, suspension, everything. Just got it back on the road last year and I am having a ball driving it. I can't see the need to go faster (still don't know how fast it will go because the speed limits are 75 around here). It's comfortable, has a nice sound system, still needs to be totally rewired, but that's the project for the next couple months. I just don't understand the reason for wanting to get a GT, tear it up to put an engine that will run at light speed, 22 inch wheels, lowered to the ground, bumble bee muffler, guess what? it isn't a GT any more.

I have gotten many comments from many people, they haven't seen a GT since the 70's. Yes, we all have to listen to the stories about the next door neighbor or a friend buried the speedometer and still had gas pedal left. I just look at them and smile, I know it probably not true, but why ruin their day. I really enjoy my GT, and I am glad I didn't put a huge engine in it, and I am also glad it got finished and I will have it for a few years before I leave this world. Who gets it then? Both of the daughters love it, so they can decide.

Bob

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
Not really swap related or is it?
One of my big turn-offs is opening the hood and see wire-nuts.

Another is mismatched part's on the vehicle
Then being blessed out for not being able to tune it to what they heard on the internet.
Everything that's posted on the interweave is true. Right?

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
One more note: the Fiero is under assault as well, with many, some done to amazing standards, becoming faux Ferrari's or Lamborghinis. I just never understood that need to be want to be seen in a fake Ferrari; it's still a Fiero. And it's just one more that will never maintain it's soul as delivered by Pontiac once it gets hacked up. Ranting, raving and drooling, over.

Mike
I saw a fiero/ ferrari clone ( think red magnum PI 308) for sale i almost bought it. But it looked great not like most kit cars. I Alas looked at a Dino clone with an ,Rx7 mid mounted too. :haha:

·
Registered
801 Posts

·
Can Opeler
3,937 Posts
I hate engine swaps to non-Opel engines. That being said I love when Someone tries to do these swaps, even when they fail they learn fabrication skills and an important lesson. It's a perfect GT? Do I care? No! It's not my GT, I didn't buy it, I didn't plan on buying it, most likely there is no chance I would have ever even seen it.
I believe if someone pays for a car they have the right to do what they want with it. If that means destroying a rust free GT, ill cringe, but then remind myself it wasn't my GT and I have no right to judge.

Reactions: charlie1966

·
Registered
515 Posts
Since this seems to be a popular topic of late, IE: engine swaps for Opels. Let's discuss this. I'm mainly referring to GT's but we can discuss any of them

For starters I think we all agree that our Number One Gripe, collectively speaking. Is that a perfectly good GT cuts all cut up, and it's never finished. So the end result is it gets scrapped, and there's one less GT to restore someday.

So, referring to the guys who get their dirty little hands on a GT with evil intent to "put a (fill in the blank) init." Here's my list.

1. It's always guys who have never even owned an Opel at all before, much less a GT!

2. It's always, straight to the tear it apart, and cut it up stage.

3. They always talk about how fast it's gonna be, all the goodies they are gonna put on it, and how much horsepower it's gonna make. You never hear about the plans for reinforcing the chassis, upgrading the brakes, how they are going to retain the stock gauges and wiring, practical stuff.

4. If they do, it's usually some shiny new thing, like Wildwood disc brakes, with no way to hang them. Funny, they'll spend money on shiny new stuff, but then they'll patch together the scariest stuff in the world for the rest of it.

5. Most of the time, the plan is to do it in some guys shed out back, or a shop that I would not let work on my Chevette.

Those are my top gripes, what's your's?

Oh, and it goes without saying, that if anybody with any real Mechanical experience, or Opel GT ownership experience tries to discuss the "Project," with them. They either don't believe you, because you don't know what you are talking about. Or their Uncle, or Buddy has it all figured out. Or lastly, they give you the infamous... "You'll See!"

Anybody else care to share a few?
You got a Chevette? ;)

·
Über Genius
9,725 Posts
My personal gripe is when the elastic in my underwear fail.

What other people do with their stuff is their deal.

Having said that, my first Opel was sold to a guy who, then, attempted to turn it into a 4WD. I saw it sitting in his side yard. One of those things that got halfway done and then it was time to make it driveable and, well, the rest is always history.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
I'm not a huge fan of engine swaps either but as FO said it's their car so .....

That said I always admire it when something is well done, doesn't matter if it's an engine swap or flared wheel arches (another thing I'm not a big fan of) or something else, if you do a proper job then I'm all for it.

******* engineering is not my thing, no matter what it is

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
People are surprised at this trend? Have you been watching any shows on Velocity lately? Overhalin made this practice what everyone expects. It's all about how big, how powerful, how much flash. If you can't go through a set of tires before you leave the parking lot then there just isn't enough horsepower.

I told my wife that I would cry if all of a sudden, I was pulled into a garage and showed my overhauled Manta. I personally like things stock, even if it doesn't run :)

But I can see the next generation is being taught to tear it apart and make it better. They can see the dream payout every week on TV. As Gary knows, there a lot of stuff that goes on behind the curtain. That's the stuff people find out about when they try do it themselves. Tearing apart is easy. It's the putting it back together weeds out the skilled souls from the "they never said anything about that" crowd.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
People are surprised at this trend? Have you been watching any shows on Velocity lately? Overhaulin made this practice what everyone expects. It's all about how big, how powerful, how much flash. If you can't go through a set of tires before you leave the parking lot then there just isn't enough horsepower.

There are many people here on the Forum that like "flash" and there are many others who like "clean, simple". It also seems that 1/2 of the active posters either have or want (or both :cool: ) more power. I'm a big Chip Foose fan and his cars are somewhat in between to me. He is always saying that he likes to do it "...the way the factory "should" have done it." When people don't know what they are looking at, they shouldn't be able tell if the factory did it that way or if it was customized. Too many "custom" cars are too much "flash"! :yup:

I told my wife that I would cry if all of a sudden, I was pulled into a garage and showed my overhauled Manta. I personally like things stock, even if it doesn't run :)

I once told my wife that just having a Chip Foose DRAWING of what my car (the 1952 MGTD restomod or the GT mod or my next project, whatever it is) would make me "cry" (but not for the same reason as you)!

But I can see the next generation is being taught to tear it apart and make it better. They can see the dream payout every week on TV. As Gary knows, there a lot of stuff that goes on behind the curtain. That's the stuff people find out about when they try do it themselves. Tearing apart is easy. It's the putting it back together weeds out the skilled souls from the "they never said anything about that" crowd.

Sadly for me, the "next generation" isn't being taught anything! With all the computer controlled gadgets as well as things integral to the function of the vehicle, there is no room for "hot rodding", so they resort to "flash". A number of people here have said, the cars are simple to take apart and work on, "jump in" to newbies and then offering the advice to "get it running first and add power, etc after you know how it drives". Good advice in both directions!

With all of that said, I never enter into a new project that doesn't have some part that I have never done before, it's just a part of the fun to do new things. For me, "stock" is what the factory did 40+ years ago with compromises due to cost, schedule, and their version of what the average "target buyer" wanted. I am building MY car, not theirs so modification is what I like.
I don't mean to be negative here, build your stock car and enjoy it! The workmanship I have seen with many cars on the forum is an inspiration to me, but the cars are NOT me. JMHO -- Doug

1 - 20 of 82 Posts