Opel GT Forum banner
21 - 40 of 82 Posts

·
Opeler
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Interesting, well, I think we are all mostly on the same page here.

The thing we seem to agree on, is that the thing about the engine swap crowd, never seem to finish them, and in the process ruin a perfectly good GT. Like Knorm said, "it's their car they can do what they want." I perhaps personally because of where I live, seem to have an abundance of idiots who take on a project with no clue of what's involved. BTW, that's not just Opel's that's a whole lotta brands of cars.

Teal Carver, I'm not sure if you agree with me, or not. But I sure agree with you. You rebuilt all the Opel stuff, Used an Opel engine and Transmission, and are a True Opel Owner. IE: you work on it yourself, and you keep it stock. By stock, I mean Opel engine and trans.

For what it is worth, If I could have or drive another members GT, I'd like to own Teal Carvers, but I want to drive Mark and Son's. Of course I put the chance of that happening right up there with my chances of ever getting to drive Tinyvette (again).

As for major component swaps, the one I really understand is the guys who swap out the differential, particularly if it's IRS. That one makes sense, both for handling, and handling horsepower. BTW, if you ever see Rodney's GT with that Isuzu rear end, it just looks bad ass.

Gordo's comments are interesting, but the fact is those drag racer boys are not Opel Owners. They are tube frame, automatic transmission, Ford 9 inch rear end, V8 boys, who happen to have an Opel skin on it this summer. Ford or Chevy, take your pick.

For the record, I am not an Opel Purist. I'm all for parts from other cars, as long as it's not the engine, and it does not involve cutting up a GT, and having an insane weight balance.

I am all behind the fuel injection, and ignition upgrades some of you are doing. When I get my engine back in one piece, and have a few bucks I am drooling at the thought of modifying my distributor, and playing with the evil electronics that the good Dr Juan, has been developing for us.

I am also a huge RB fan, but aren't we all? I like his ideas more than the thought of bothering him, to make me something though. Like I always say, "Be Your Own Rallye Bob. That means take the info he shares here, and build it yourself you lazy slob. You'll be prouder of it in the end, and you might learn something along the way.

Having said that, I really did want that small tube "Bundle of Snakes," but oh well.

Lastly. The one GT engine swap that I see here, that I'd like to try is a rotary engine. I owned an RX4 and those engines are neat. However I'd never do it, because of all the issues with Rotaries. Still, the thought of a 9,000 RPM redline is something to think about.

Anyway, it's a sunny day in Texas, and I have an Opel calling me.

·
Bikini Inspector
5,774 Posts
What bothers me
general tone of this forum. I liken it to like my father in law. Kids are meant to be seen and not heard. Even on Xmas morning when they are having so much fun with their new toys they are laughing and giggling with joy.

There my crabby annoying father in law is ready to explode and bitchin for them to quiet down. Really? its xmas! That joy and laughter on xmas from your grandchildren should be the most welcome beautiful thing in life!!!

He is only 46 btw.

anywho..... lets face it. if it was much easier to swap in a real nice modern motor... without all the trouble and fabricating... most of us would want it.

Its easy to forget our cars arent as rare as we think. and each motor swap gone wrong is making my rust free cali creampuff go up in price...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Lastly. The one GT engine swap that I see here, that I'd like to try is a rotary engine. I owned an RX4 and those engines are neat. However I'd never do it, because of all the issues with Rotaries. Still, the thought of a 9,000 RPM redline is something to think about.
I've taken a slightly different but similar approach. I have an Opel Manta and a Mazda GT, I mean RX-7. It has 183K on the original motor, so I haven't had issues. I do keep it below 7000 RPM, but the rev limiter buzzer still surprises me when it goes off. But people pull rotaries and put in V8s. Personalization is what it is all about. We all have a different idea of what Ideal is and that is fine. I just like to drive while many of you love to create. The fact that we can all communicate in a mostly civil manner is what makes this website unique.

·
Opeler
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I've taken a slightly different but similar approach. I have an Opel Manta and a Mazda GT, I mean RX-7. It has 183K on the original motor, so I haven't had issues. I do keep it below 7000 RPM, but the rev limiter buzzer still surprises me when it goes off. But people pull rotaries and put in V8s. Personalization is what it is all about. We all have a different idea of what Ideal is and that is fine. I just like to drive while many of you love to create. The fact that we can all communicate in a mostly civil manner is what makes this website unique.
Hey, it's not like we suffer alone. Go to the BMW Forums. For every V8 in a GT post here, I can find three on the BMW Forums from some doofus who suddenly came up with the original idea to put an M3 engine in a regular three series bimmer, and save all that money.

Followed by two pages explaining that an M series is more than just an engine, and the OP crying, "ya'll are just meanies," and running away.

I'm sure the Rotary crowd, and a few others could add their stories.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Hey, it's not like we suffer alone. Go to the BMW Forums. For every V8 in a GT post here, I can find three on the BMW Forums from some doofus who suddenly came up with the original idea to put an M3 engine in a regular three series bimmer, and save all that money.

Followed by two pages explaining that an M series is more than just an engine, and the OP crying, "ya'll are just meanies," and running away.

I'm sure the Rotary crowd, and a few others could add their stories.
Here is a BMW swap for you. Owner was sick of the problems with his 7-series BMW, so he dropped in a LS:

Here is a swap that I endorse strongly (to the point of buying the car). Previous owner found the original Spitfire so under powered that he dropped in a 6-cyl GT6 engine (Wrench can attest that it is done properly....after I fixed the float in the carburetor):

There are a lot of swaps that are done well and I can't object to. But, in general, I think swaps in the Opel GT had best be left to those that really know what they are doing and the rest of us can stick with the engine that it came with (with some improvements).

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Here is a BMW swap for you. Owner was sick of the problems with his 7-series BMW, so he dropped in a LS: <SNIP> ...
In my younger (and not so bright) days, I thought a 350 Chevy V-8 would make a great swap into a 3 series BMW! The model number (318, 323, ...) was related to the engine size (in my head at least) so the car would have been a 357 with the 5.7 liter motor. It probably would have had the same effect also, except the littler one would be held to your head when you pulled the trigger! :haha:

Doug

·
Registered
272 Posts
Whats this got to do with performance. .
The main thing is the journey not the destination.
If someone wants to try something Let them. Sure offer constructive advice But nothing is learnt by never making a mistake.
I rejoice when especially young people make or fix something rather than buying a new one or doing the same as everyone else.

So don't judge just help.

·
Can Opeler
4,046 Posts
Sorry this app won't let me quote Slracer.

It's a myth that kids these days resort to "flash" and no longer hot rod. I have a friend that modified a Mercedes supercharger to work on his Mazda Miata. My friend Brad rebuilt the trashed engine on a 2000s Toyota Celica on his own! The most impressive is my friend Phillip who built and replaced most of his wiring in a 2004 BMW and built his own cold air intake and welded up coolant overflow tank. My car friends do track driving occasionally and have upgrades accordingly. Coil overs, larger sway bars, custom brake swaps, tunable ignition etc.
it is not as easy to hot rod because of the electronic crap, but I am always impressed to see what my peers come up with.
Of course the crowd I hang out with is not the stupid stanced, camber, lowered crowd...

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
anywho..... lets face it. if it was much easier to swap in a real nice modern motor... without all the trouble and fabricating... most of us would want it.
Oddly enough I wouldn't, part of my enjoyment of any car is making the most out of what is there, and in the case of my Opels over the years the interchangeability of parts from one model to the other but I never once had any serious plans to replace the CIH. In fact I enjoyed the challenge of making my CIH powered Manta as fast, or faster, than the guys who swapped in 16v motors in their Opels

In my head I'm doing what the boffins at Opel would have done if they had not been confined by such things as warranty, reliability, driveability, fuel econmy, mass production, emissions ..... all those boring things a company has to think about.

Have I toyed around with the idea of a different straight 6 to replace the stomp puller in my TR6, of course I have. Then I take it out for a drive and realize that stomp puller is part of what makes it a TR6, but it still needs more power so a shaved and ported head, tubular header and triple DCOE are still going on there along with a vented disc brake upgrade, and some poly bushings, and adjustable Koni dampers ....

People tell me I'm a bit weird .....

·
Registered
699 Posts
James, While I agree that people are frigging morons for wanting to stuff a BBC in a GT. I totally disagree with most of your statements. The GT is a beautiful little car that gets attention no matter where you are. I had a 69 and a 73 back when they were new. They were a blast and I loved them both. However times change and so does what we expect in a car, be it new or classic. When I decided to choose a classic car project the GT was at the top of my list because of it's beautiful lines. But that is as far as it goes. Maybe it's my age, but I enjoy a comfortable and reliable car that I can drive anywhere at any time. Every aspect of my mods are thought out and planned. I don't go into anything blindly. I live in Missouri where it's cold and crappy at least 4 months of the year. I use that time to work on the car and I drive it the rest of the year when the weather is nice. I have yet to make a mod to my car that hasn't been completed on time. The purists can hate it all they want, but it's my car not yours. I didn't try to overpower the car or turn it into a hot rod. What I ended up with is a GT with a comfortable interior, power everything, AC, superior brakes, suspension and a drive train I can beat on if I desire and not worry about anything breaking. Plus I did it "ALL" without hacking the body.

I'll also add that I didn't have to lean my engine or put a bump in the hood to make it fit like the factory did...............So there!

·
Vendor
3,428 Posts
In my head I'm doing what the boffins at Opel would have done if they had not been confined by such things as warranty,,,
Well, I learned a new word today!

A boffin is British slang for a scientist, engineer, or other person engaged in technical or scientific work. The original World War II conception of war-winning researchers means that the term tends to have more positive connotations than related terms like spod, egghead, nerd, or geek.

Cheers,
Ron in Indy

·
Premium Member
1,756 Posts
Interesting, well, I think we are all mostly on the same page here.

Teal Carver, I'm not sure if you agree with me, or not. But I sure agree with you. You rebuilt all the Opel stuff, Used an Opel engine and Transmission, and are a True Opel Owner. IE: you work on it yourself, and you keep it stock. By stock, I mean Opel engine and trans.

For what it is worth, If I could have or drive another members GT, I'd like to own Teal Carvers, but I want to drive Mark and Son's. Of course I put the chance of that happening right up there with my chances of ever getting to drive Tinyvette (again).
James, I do agree with you. My skills were fine for a pretty much "Opel" build. I did a lot of things after asking questions (thanks for the answers from the members on the forum) I just never thought about putting a V-8 in the GT, my first impression would be "HOW"? I think the only reason I have seen for not putting in a V-8 is so many of these projects end up crushed in junk yard. Do I care if you have a V-8 in your GT? No, I think I would admire the fact that you undertook a major project and followed it through to the end.

I guess my bottom line is everyone has their own idea of how to build their car. That's why there are car shows. I saw a bunch of 40 Fords at the last car show I went to. Probably 10, all beautiful and all different. It doesn't matter how you build it, it just matters that you enjoy your project, and follow it through to the end. I always look for other GT's at the show I attend, but haven't seen one so far. Last time I entered a show in Nevada, I got beat by a VW. Oh the shame of it all.

Bob

·
Opeler
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
James, While I agree that people are frigging morons for wanting to stuff a BBC in a GT. I totally disagree with most of your statements. The GT is a beautiful little car that gets attention no matter where you are. I had a 69 and a 73 back when they were new. They were a blast and I loved them both. However times change and so does what we expect in a car, be it new or classic. When I decided to choose a classic car project the GT was at the top of my list because of it's beautiful lines. But that is as far as it goes. Maybe it's my age, but I enjoy a comfortable and reliable car that I can drive anywhere at any time. Every aspect of my mods are thought out and planned. I don't go into anything blindly. I live in Missouri where it's cold and crappy at least 4 months of the year. I use that time to work on the car and I drive it the rest of the year when the weather is nice. I have yet to make a mod to my car that hasn't been completed on time. The purists can hate it all they want, but it's my car not yours. I didn't try to overpower the car or turn it into a hot rod. What I ended up with is a GT with a comfortable interior, power everything, AC, superior brakes, suspension and a drive train I can beat on if I desire and not worry about anything breaking. Plus I did it "ALL" without hacking the body.

I'll also add that I didn't have to lean my engine or put a bump in the hood to make it fit like the factory did...............So there!
Ron, I disagree that you think we disagree.

Okay, you swapped engines, so what?

You actually finished the project. No problem there. You did not cut a GT all up. No problem there.Most of your car is still Opel, and you fought the Usual Opel Demons: lights, brakes, suspension, wiring, etc, and won.

You have a GT that runs and drives, and is better than stock. No problem with that at all. You have working air conditioning. Now that's something that when they were New, was a nightmare. There is no way to make the original (Dealer Added) AC work right, and there's no way you want it to work "Like New."

Now that's one case of different is better.

FWIW, imagine about 1983, being the Dealership Mechanic at the (We Hate Opels) Buick Dealer. When in rolls a beautiful 1973 Opel GT. Totally Original, with Points, a Solex carb, an automatic transmission, and the GM Air Conditioning conversion.

"Runs, rough, hard to start, lacks power, A/C blows warm," reads the ticket. Being a Dealership Mechanic, you have to fix what the factory gave you. No electronic ignition, no Weber conversion, no electric fan, no Sankyo Compressor Conversion.

The most you can charge the customer for, is a carb rebuild, and a tune up, maybe an A/C recharge. That's it. There were a couple of those I worked on. What a Nightmare.

These days I have built great working A/C systems, but I did not do it with the original crap. Keith is building an Uber System, but again, it's not Original by a long shot.

So, I'm not adverse to upgrades, swaps, changes, of anything.

As long as you finish it, it works, and the car doesn't get all butchered up in the process. The only reason I harp about GT's is that I might want it next. They can cut up all the BMW's they want, I don't care about them.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
<SNIP> ...matters that you enjoy your project, and follow it through to the end. I always look for other GT's at the show I attend, but haven't seen one so far. Last time I entered a show in Nevada, I got beat by a VW. Oh the shame of it all.

Bob
Bob, remember that VW owns BUGATTI! That means that you got beat by the "cousin" of a $1 MILLION + car! :bs2: You could have 50 or more GT's for that! :haha:

JMHO -- Doug

·
Opeler
977 Posts
A couple of years ago, I bought a stroked !.9 - 2.4 from a member. I only recently brought it to my machinist/builder to go through, and fix everything that he found. Well, there was a lot wrong! Crank was toast, cylinder bores were bad, and .40 over, 305 pistons, rods needed reconditioning, and a list of other items that made this engine a loss.

So, I was a little dissappointed that my power upgrade was not going to happen.

Left with possibly adding EFI to the 1.9 - 2.0 currently in the car, the yearning for an upgrade, remained alive.

Last Friday, as I was searching online for parts, I came across a barn find, of 4 Buick 215 engines, sitting on pallets, up in the barn loft. Super reasonable price, and I snapped, and bought them. They are on the way.

A couple of days later, this thread pops up, and now, I am beginning to feel uneasy about my latest move. I suppose I could sell them to the MG group.

I'm on the fence...

·
Opeler
977 Posts
A couple of years ago, I bought a stroked !.9 - 2.4 from a member. I only recently brought it to my machinist/builder to go through, and fix everything that he found. Well, there was a lot wrong! Crank was toast, cylinder bores were bad, and .40 over, 305 pistons, rods needed reconditioning, and a list of other items that made this engine a loss.

Left with possibly adding EFI to the 1.9 - 2.0 currently in the car, the yearning for an upgrade, remained alive.

Last Friday, as I was searching online for parts, I came across a barn find, of 4 Buick 215 engines, sitting on pallets, up in the barn loft. Super reasonable price, and I snapped, and bought them. They are on the way.

A couple of days later, this thread pops up, and now, I am beginning to feel uneasy about my latest move. I suppose I could sell them to the MG group.

I'm on the fence...

·
Opeler
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·

I'm on the fence...
Oh no, don't do that. Look, I can have a trailer by next Saturday. I'll be happy to come down and take the temptation away from you.

I promise I won't put them in a GT.

Now a Manta, or an Ascona, or a Sport Wagon, might be another story...

LOL

21 - 40 of 82 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.