·
self admitted opel addict
227 Posts
I'm in Mt. Vernon, Illinois

Hey John bran....you are not alone! Hello out there! :cool:

·
Opeler
36 Posts
I from Mpls area of MN and there's a few very nice GT's around here most are garage queens. I've Autocrossed my GT since 1987 starting out in street prepared and now I'm in perpared with a 2.4 motor that's been warmed a bit. The first event is 4/6 but due to issues with the new cam I'm installing. I'll be driving a non Opel for the first time in many years. So Civin you just haven't looked hard enough. I'm not into shows I prefer to drive instead.
check out www.mnautox.com

Lee F

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Lee,

Welcom to the Opel website. I saw your opel on the website. How did you do at that event??. I looks like you were give some of the overpriced cars a run for the cash.

Good luck on the new cam. I am sure someone here as done what you have done and could help you out.

O.. there is an Opel for sale near you (look at ebay) you may want to take a look at it.

I use to work at ValleyFair years ago so I know the area a little.

Rick in Atlanta

·
1,709 Posts
hi i'm in duluth ga. & own a 1970 opel gt . I purchased new
from a buick dealer in atlanta .
guyopel
:D

·
Opeler
36 Posts
Thanks Rick in Atlanta
those pictures are in the gallery are from a few different events. Since I put in the 2.4 motor in I haven't lost but traction is my hardest issue as before with the 1.9 I always had it floored but with the 2.4 I can't and hit cones. The cam issue is that the regrinder gave me a price that would be more if he had to weldup the lobes but he said he didn't have to, When I got the cam the base circles where the same diameter as the camshaft so I can't adjust the clearances. When I put washers to give me enough threads to get the clearances I have .005 clearance between the rocker arm and spring retainer (not good!). I called him and he told me he doesn't weld lobes anymore so the cam company is trying to find me a blank camshaft. If you worked at Valleyfair then you know where Cantabury Downs is, we used to use their large overflow lot for events. If anybody wants me to look at the 72 GT in Brooklyn Park I will but from the guys discription it's pretty rusty.

Lee F

·
Super Moderator
9,751 Posts
GuyOpel;
I'm not far from you. I'm in Snellville, GA. Just down Pleasent Hill/Lester. Been in GA long? Or have we just been missing each other?
Gene

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Hello fellow Opelers. Another one in Georgia, I'm Sharon in Cartersville (thanks for the plug Gene, and who's the other one in Cartersville?). I have a '73 Luxus with sunroof, 3 GTs in various stages of projectdom in the garage, and one at the boyfriend's house that's going to make it's debut in Carlisle, then will probably be for sale.

Somebody mentioned the blue GT in Marietta, I know that car. The guy used to work at a framing store close to work, he's since disappeared. I went in and talked to him one day, it was his father's car originally and he had no desire to part with it.

Hope to see some of you in Carlisle, and it's looking like we have enough Georgia Opelers for a meet of our own!

Sharon

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Sharon,

I was able to track the down the Blue Opel in Marietta, he still works at the "House of Frams". I was able to talk to him and tell him about Opelgt.com. He is currently still working on the Opel and he is in the process of installing an A/C unit. I have his phone number and name so if us folks in the Meto Atlanta area want to get together sometime, he will try to make it.

Since, I made the posting earler, I have found two more Opel GT's for sale. One in Marietta, near Roswell Street Bap. Church, and one in Buford. I saw the one in Marietta, he wanted $3,000, it was worth about half that. The one in Buford was in the AJC last week. I call the number and the person says it is in good shape but I will have to go and see it. He wants $2,000. Because of personell stuff I will not be able to see it until 2 weekends from now.

Hay drop me a line. I do not live that far from you. I might be able to help you on some of your Opels.

Rick

·
Registered
92 Posts
Regina Saskatchewan Canada. Just a whole lot of emptiness and endless straight roads. That's why it's basically drag racers only in Sask.

I know of two driveable GT's in town, an orange/black-stripe one and a faint yellow one. There's also one identical to mine, but it's undriveable and has been sitting in a guy's driveway for years.

·
Registered
10 Posts
A big hello from Onward, Indiana ( near kokomo)
i have a 71 gt that i bought late last year that i am currently working on. as far as any other opels around here there arent any that i have found yet. will be good to get to know yall
happy opeling
bubba

·
crazy opeler
558 Posts
I am kinda around there, I go to school at Purdue so I guess I am about an hour away from you.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm in Remus, Michigan

I am in Remus, Michigan - which is between Mt. Pleasant (neither a mountain nor all that pleasant... ;) ) and Big Rapids. Most of the GTs in Michigan are farther south towards Detroit and Grand Rapids - though unconfirmed rumors of one in Saginaw.

Heather V. Havel
1970 Opel Gt
1967 Camaro

·
Registered
6 Posts
anyone in eastern/central PA?

looks like i am the only one that i have seen so far from PA.

i live in the Poconoes in the summertime and go to school in Selinsgrove, about an hour due east of State College (in Selinsgrove....maybe some of you have heard of the Selinsgrove Raceway?) if you have'nt, i can hear it for you every saterday night - from anywhere in town.

was curious if there are any others near this Area of PA that might be on here. have only seen 2 around the state, both were for sale and nothing more than parts car or major restoration jobs.

you guys from Ohio seem to be the closest.

-Mike

·
Super Moderator
9,751 Posts
Bastian;
You're lucky in that you're close to Susselbeek/Parsget I envy you! But, welcome to opelgt.com
Gene

·
1000 Post Club
4,117 Posts
I'm in Salfordville, PA(near Lansdale, PA). I have a 1972 GT which I have owned since 1983. The orginal owner purchased it in Hatboro, PA. I have owned a 72 Manta Rallye & a 74 Manta Luxus.

There is another GT in Lansdale, PA. I will be meeting him in the annual Lansdale Car Show this Saturday. Glad to see Duane still has his Opels!!

·
Opeler
17 Posts
Hi!

@gene: yes, susselbeek is quite near, but I don't made good experiences with this company. They needed over 3 month to send me new parts! But i have over three dealer in my environment, so I have no problems to get parts.
Anyway the most parts I get by buying GT's that are in a badly shape, because it's much cheaper!

Bastian

·
Super Moderator
9,751 Posts
Bastian;
We do that here in the US too. I had a small warehouse full of Opel parts from cars I had bought and just stripped for the parts.
Gene

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am here in West Palm with my blue 73 GT with A/C that I have owned for 26 years upgrades include 2.2 Mantzel prepared engine / 5 speed , 4 wheel disc , lowered with rally sway bars:)

21 - 40 of 133 Posts