Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 2 of 25 Posts
3,719 Posts
I have been using Denso compact alternator since I Installed A/C system in my GT. A/C compressor was installed in the place of original alternator and I had to switch to compact alternator installed on the passenger side of the engine.

Denso 70A alternator works fine for me but I learned few things in the process:

1. Denso comes with very small pulley. Keep it, standard Opel pulley is larger and slows down alternator RPM, lowering its output. The picture shows my cogbelt pulley but alternator comes with V-belt pulley.

2. The foot of alternator is very narrow, so it requires very sturdy bracket to prevent vibrations. I made my own bracket, extending the alternator support with longer pivot bolt and extra bracket ear (see the picture).
Also, the diameter of the hole for the alternator pivot bolt is 10.3 mm so using 10mm bolt will leave alternator loose. Rather than reaming the hole to 12mm or switching to SAE bolt size, I bushed the hole with precise fit to 10mm pivot bolt.

3. The alternator is not equipped with the stator tap, so the charge control light is not working on our Opels.
I sent an email to the supplier asking them what is needed to make charge control light to work. If they answer, I will inform.

Attachments

3,719 Posts
You will be fine. I have been using this alternator for the last 6000 km (3700 miles) without any issues. My GT is equipped with A/C, electrical power steering, electrical fuel pump, HID lights and electrical radiator fan but little alternator is keeping up with all requirements easily.

The only setback is lack of charge light. Despite all my efforts, I could not get the answer how to enable charge light. The most credible information is that this alternator has charge light as an option.

1 - 2 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.