Opel GT Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Lindsey, just got the GT back from my buddies mechanic. He fixed the vacuum leaks, oil leaks, installed the universal bracket for the alternator and installed the alternator. Just took the wife to lunch, and it was her first ride in the Opel. My second since it was totally restored. Even got OPEL GT for the license plate. That could only happen in Nevada.

I am posting some pictures of the bracket and alternator. Much smaller than the original and the bracket seems to hold everything in place. I took the pictures, but I am not very happy with them. Couldn't get a good angle to show both the bracket and alternator. I bought the bracket that you recommended on Amazon, got the 70 AMP alternator also on Amazon, The link for it is in one of my posts above, It looks like a winner, if I have any problems, I will post on the forum to keep anyone interested informed.

Bob

Attachments

·
Opeler
3,720 Posts
You will be fine. I have been using this alternator for the last 6000 km (3700 miles) without any issues. My GT is equipped with A/C, electrical power steering, electrical fuel pump, HID lights and electrical radiator fan but little alternator is keeping up with all requirements easily.

The only setback is lack of charge light. Despite all my efforts, I could not get the answer how to enable charge light. The most credible information is that this alternator has charge light as an option.

·
Premium Member
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
PJ, I wondered about the charge light, it didn't work. My mechanic is pretty sharp, so I thought maybe he didn't know how to hook it up. I think the small alternator is worth the trade off of the charging light. I have a volt meter installed and it shows 13 volts, so I don't worry. Strange, I put gas in it yesterday and the gas gauge started working. I guess the couple gallons I put in was not enough to register or it was stuck. So the thing that isn't working right now is the oil temperature. I am going to use Charles Goin's procedure for installing a universal wiring kit in the GT. Hopefully it takes care of some of the minor details that don't work now.

Bob

·
Opeler
1,228 Posts
Lindsey, just got the GT back from my buddies mechanic. He fixed the vacuum leaks, oil leaks, installed the universal bracket for the alternator and installed the alternator. Just took the wife to lunch, and it was her first ride in the Opel. My second since it was totally restored. Even got OPEL GT for the license plate. That could only happen in Nevada.

I am posting some pictures of the bracket and alternator. Much smaller than the original and the bracket seems to hold everything in place. I took the pictures, but I am not very happy with them. Couldn't get a good angle to show both the bracket and alternator. I bought the bracket that you recommended on Amazon, got the 70 AMP alternator also on Amazon, The link for it is in one of my posts above, It looks like a winner, if I have any problems, I will post on the forum to keep anyone interested informed.

Bob
Hi Bob,

How did you (your mechanic) wire this up? I have had a chrome PowerMaster 17127 alternator in my GT for about 10 years. I have been working on installing the Holley Sniper unit and it needs to have 12+ volts when cranking, so I am wanting to be sure my electrical system is ready for it. My ~1 year old Optima RedTop battery was only testing at 6.5 volts in my multimeter. I took it to autozone and they did a restore charge on it, but I couldn’t believe it drained so quickly by not having the car started in 4 months with the posts disconnected. I had them test my alternator and it was totally shot, according to their tester, not one single item showed functional. I picked up an exact replacement for now so I can fire this car up soon. But I’d like to go smaller for fitment and for future a/c install. Could you share how it is wired? The one I’ve had has a pigtail on it and I’m not sure if the Denso ones have that?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Eric

21 - 25 of 25 Posts