Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
finished the Eastwood degreasing,etching and sealing of fuel tank (looks freaking awesome) ran all new copper fuel line and replaced all fuel related vapor/return lines. Oh also removed a little filter by the carb with some sort of a floating restrictor in it and replaced with the 3 port filter to complete all the fuel system repairs.
Performed start up and she bounced around and ran choppy till she was warmed up guess I need to re-tune carb or something to fix. Really strange as it was running really well before I put her back together as designed.

Reactions: soybean

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
ahh cool idea i disconnected,filled and looped the heater core when i redid the cooling system so i wouldn't sweat anymore than i already do in the summer taking mine on test drives

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
I will definitely look at that the dash is in normal big cracked shape and i put some carpet on so i wouldn't be reminded and distracted from the things i have been working on

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Speaking of radios Dan mine i think is original and was disconnected at fuse i found hidden so i hooked it up, installed an antenna which was to much fun thank goodness for wire hooks and there's a problem with the speaker wire in back of the radio i move it one way it sounds good i let go and sounds like aluminum foil running across the road so i disconnected it i would like to keep things as original as possible but my son and i like our music a little louder than normal do they make aftermarket radios with today's features that look like original and would fit in the same spot or should i turn the glove box into a flip down radio panel lol

Reactions: 99449

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
That's good stuff Jarell i"m still laughing mine didn't have the valve to open/close so it was hot all the time and given all the work/money ill spend in other areas i wasn't at this time interested in buying one plus its Florida if i need to turn the heat on i shouldn't have gone for a drive in my skivvies

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Great and thank you Dan. I have tried calling both Numbers they list only to get busy signal so i sent them an email hopefully I'll here from them. How would I know for sure if mine is original for sure. Here is a pic hope this helps please excuse the finder washers as it was a temp fix to keep it in place

Attachments

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Dan, They emailed me back and do not offer us opel owners an option other than a contact to take our originals in for upgrades as they said to me am/fm upgrade?

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
let me see if this spins the pic so you don"t get a neck cramp trying to look at it

Attachments

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Terry thanks for checking out that company in Florida, bummer they don't offer a replacement radio. Looking at your radio, it doesn't appear to be an original. From all the Opel GT's I have seen 68-73, the early years will have written across the clear face of the radio above the numbers, "Kadett Radio by Delco" and the later years will have, "Opel GT Radio by Delco". The Opel GT's that were manufactured for North America only had AM.

I would like to have an original that has the "Opel GT Radio by Delco". I know most would say don't evan bother with that crappy radio and replace with a more modern radio. I just think it makes the Opel GT that more unique. I know there are members that would sell one they have in their stock pile of parts, just haven't moved that project higher on the ladder.

GTRoy you have a very nice Opel GT and you live very close to some of my friends. You are very correct when you say its getting cooler from what it was :yup: This is the time of year that is more enjoyable outdoors where you live.

Dan
Sorry for pm Dan just saw your reply post

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
pretty cool John pretty cool the folks here are awesome and undoubtedly the finest folks I've ever had the opportunity to exchange words and thoughts with 2nd to none

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Have been digging out parts and gearing up to put my engine together, while I am dealing with some health issues that are going to prevent me from working at my job for a couple months.
Figured I better start putting together what I do have in hopes I can speed the process if and when I can ever get the body brought down (still back in my home state, couldn't bring it with right away when we moved) and cash to cover the parts and work I still need to do :sigh:

Aint gettin any younger and my wife and kids would be lost and clueless about what to do with the GT, tore down in a million pieces, if something were to happen to me. :ugh:

So may have some updates over the next few months,
we shall see. :nervous:
Stay strong and get healthy Mr. Chuck I'm rooting for ya:haha:

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Ha-ha! You sit on the roof of the one closest to the camera and use the steering wheel sticking WAY up out of the hood!

Gordoism doesn't only affect Gordo's, anyone can Gordo.
aahaahaahaahhahhhahahahahhaha I'm pretty sure I Gordo a lot my wife will confirm it

Reactions: soybean

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Now that the front end is apart I'm cleaning and prepping everything for paint and rebuild ( need a big sand blaster for main carriage) but all the little stuff is coming along nicely. Here's all the past rusted a$$ bolts that came apart and I've cleaned thus far not to shabby for a newby garage guy.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Finally got the big leaks in the trans fixed and got the awesome new trans pan installed No more dropping the pan to change fluid or pumping it out
got the exhaust all back together and took a ride in the neighborhood ?

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
oh my I can see the light at the end of the tunnels
Maybe it's time for a break and a ride in the mini beside your opel Are the batteries charged it might be a long ride

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
I was gonna ask you about that Bob I saw it was your avatar
That my friend is freakin sweeeeet

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Nice job bud looks great
I finally figured out my last wiring issue with the reverse light and my son and I enjoyed an hour of drive time
We really enjoy being in more than under it LOL

1 - 20 of 79 Posts