Opel GT Forum banner

281 - 300 of 847 Posts

·
Opeler
3,698 Posts
The main reason for linkage rockers to start rotating freely on the shaft is when the stroke of gas pedal is longer than the stroke of linkage mechanism. In such case the linkage mechanism would come to the end of its stroke while there will be still travel space for gas pedal. Pushing the pedal would put a lot of stress on the linkage mechanism that is already at its maximum stroke. It is important to synchronize gas pedal and the linkage, so that the full throttle is determined by gas pedal stroke, not the linkage stroke.

Saying that, I do not like those linkage rockers made of stamped steel. They look flimsy. I already ordered billet rockers and they should arrive next week.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/BILLET-CARBURETOR-LINKAGE-ARM-WEBER-DCOE-WEBER-IDF-8MM-5-16-CROSS-BAR-SHAFT/283091949270?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

·
Registered
185 Posts
This morning I finished installing a new starter from OGTS. While the old one was out, I cleaned the engine and firewall and soldered the connectors on the wires to the starter. The new starter sounds so much different than the original.

The lower bolt area on the new starter doesn’t hang up the socket so it should be easier to pull. As you all know, what a pain that bolt was to get out and it probably took the bulk of the time to change over the starter. Fingers crossed the solenoid holds up.

·
Can Opeler
3,341 Posts
The locking pin that connects the gas pedal itself to arm that goes through the firewall worked itself out, so I had no throttle on my orange Opel. I fixed that, and now my car is 2x faster! The pedal has been slipping instead of opening the second barrel on the 32/36 for quite some time now before it totally failed.

I also replaced the giant OEM starter back to an OGTS starter. Ejota, the trick for the bottom bolt is to get it from under the car:)
My OGTS starter was broken (so I had swapped the original back in), but a new much higher quality solenoid from rock auto has the OGTS right as rain and better than ever!

I also replaced the annoying later style automatic roll-up seatbelts with the old 1970 style type I’ve learned to love. A fun fact is that 1972 cars still have the 1970 seatbelt mounting points tapped. You just have to find them behind the carpet.

My transmission came lose from the bellhousing off-roading today, but I got it tightened back down no problem. Hopefully the gasket material will still seal and not leak too bad. It is nearly impossible to get those darn bolts tightened.

Reactions: ejota and rrossjr

·
Registered
185 Posts
Drove it! Today was a relatively warm day for November in Portland so went for a drive to check for leaks in the new coolant lines and water pump (none found). The new radiator keeps the temp low, even after nearly an hour drive.

Here are a couple pics even though it needs washed.

Attachments

·
Über Genius
9,023 Posts
I see there are THREE Opel GT's around Portland that are a ton nicer than mine.
I gotta get busy.

Reactions: ejota

·
Registered
223 Posts
Unfortunately, they use salt brine on the roads here in Wichita every time it looks like it could rain, snow, or freeze so my cars are safely tucked in for the winter. But I did get to play with the Manta a bit these past few days. Picked a color and stripped the rest of the interior. The GT’s Head is at Gil’s for redoing and the rest of the engine is at the machine shop being bored and balanced. Should be a fun winter. The Kadett is just fine the way it is but still looking for a good dash for it. By Spring I should have all three back on the road.

Attachments

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,496 Posts
Wow, Bruce and Ejota, nice cars!

:yup:

Instead of Opel or Ford work, I decided to help an old friend put up dry wall and spackle in his 150 year old house. He's making a music room for his 18 guitars and equipment, with sound proofing and stuff, so that he can really put the metal to the pedal.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Wow, Bruce and Ejota, nice cars!

:yup:

Instead of Opel or Ford work, I decided to help an old friend put up dry wall and spackle in his 150 year old house. He's making a music room for his 18 guitars and equipment, with sound proofing and stuff, so that he can really put the metal to the pedal.
Sounds like (pun intended) ...indoor job vs in garage job to me! ....:thinking:.....:thinking:......:thinking:

Good Choice! .....:arms:

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,496 Posts
A Facebook reminder message about an upcoming cruise-in popped up yesterday. I don't go to cruise-ins, they usually happen at 6:00pm, rush hour/dinner time, on a bad day of the week for me. This one was for 7:30 pm. I hit the hay at 9pm, I don't want to come home from a car event and immediately go to bed. It was 35* and windy all day/week. Brrrrrr. It's been weeks since I drove the GT, early snows, early low temps, El Nino,......hmmmm.......we might get a snowy, salt on the road, Winter. I should go to the gathering. Check the attendees: Hmmm......mostly Latino guys........okay, so it's a tuner gathering........my car can hang with the tuners, it's got some cool lighting. It's BEHIND a movie theater.......hmmmmm.......that's the kind of location where you'll see more drug dealin' and booty pedaling than car showin'.........Woo-hoo! I'm all for that! Step outside......brrrrrr.......dang.....gotta move the suv to the yard........gotta drive the Solstice outta the garage and park it in the street.........brrrrrr......gotta lower the GT that's up on the lift....then fight the cold, thick, oil to get it started and warmed up......I'm not cold anymore.......I hear a familiar annoying vibration from the engine compartment that I never looked into seriously.......look for it.....FOUND IT!......cold air intake duct is vibrating against the body.......jam a rubber hose into the gap, problem solved.

Then I drove to the cruise-in, hung out and talked shiit with young hipsters, there were cool cars and crappy cars, all jap, drove home, repeated the multi-car shuffle, bed time, work tomorrow.

:veryhappy

·
Senior Contributor
1,535 Posts
A Facebook reminder message about an upcoming cruise-in popped up yesterday. I don't go to cruise-ins, Brrrrrr. It's been weeks since I drove the GT, early snows, early low temps, El Nino,......hmmmm.......we might get a snowy, salt on the road, Winter. I should go to the gathering. Check the attendees: Hmmm......mostly Latino guys........okay, so it's a tuner gathering........my car can hang with the tuners, It's BEHIND a movie theater.......hmmmmm.......that's the kind of location where you'll see more drug dealin' and booty pedaling than car showin'.........Woo-hoo! I'm all for that! Step outside......brrrrrr.......dang.....gotta move the suv to the yard........

Then I drove to the cruise-in, hung out and talked shiit with young hipsters, there were cool cars and crappy cars, all jap, drove home, repeated the multi-car shuffle, bed time, work tomorrow.

Did you finally Catch a Buzz and Find some Booty... or find some chicks peddling hand warmers there? :veryhappy
It's too Dam Cold and risky Now to Drive the GT. The new Brine SALT these days we use on the roads is awful, SALT GRINCHES I call them. My GT's are in winter hibernation,, no sense waking them now... your asking for trouble.. ( like a sleeping Bear, wake him up be angry :yup:)

Today Finish Up assembly Totally new Rebuilt Front Suspension unit on home made stand, add the 77 BMW vented brake system, Then Install new hard brake pipes, the old pipes ok no rust, but 50 years old brake pipes, The old brake lines have to go if everything else is brand new too.:yup: So tracing and bending hard pipes not too easy.. installing new pipes with engine in place is challenging

Attachments

·
Registered
620 Posts
Mike -- I am impressed with the condition of the steering rack in the background of photo #1. When I got mine apart three years ago, I found the teeth were quite worn. The pinion was not in great shape, either. Wondering if you did anything special to have yours in such good condition?

Attachments

·
Senior Contributor
1,535 Posts
Mike -- I am impressed with the condition of the steering rack in the background of photo #1. When I got mine apart three years ago, I found the teeth were quite worn. The pinion was not in great shape, either. Wondering if you did anything special to have yours in such good condition?
I have more photo's to post Michael, But this the second time I overhaul Rack.. 1st time was in 1999, there were no replacement bush then, I cleaned with Liquor Thinner chemical, then re-greased with Special Redline Silicone base wheel bearing grease

"" Special you ask... Yes, Try and replace all the bushings if possible.. Gil has some and complete kits are available from Germany
After you de-greased cleaned the Rack, Lightly sand 400, 600,etc. wash the rack,, then off to the Polishing Wheel, take your time and make it look new again.. then wash in Liquot thinner again,, Now ready to install... use this grease..highly recommended

https://www.redlineoil.com/cv-2-grease The Best Bearing Grease that I ever found
If you don't replace the Tie-rod Boots when they crack over time, it let's debris,dirt onto rack teeth, and wash out all steering lubricant, wearing out the teeth, and start to cause corrosion...rust,pitts ,etc

Cheers,
Mike

·
Senior Contributor
1,535 Posts
Today undercoated front fender wheel wells, wings, and prep. suspension crossmember
and Installed rebuilt Rack N Pinion onto crossmember,, Installed 1977 BMW Vented Brake System,, stopping is the most important thing :yup:

This Project is for "Yellow Bird GT" :veryhappy

Attachments

·
Senior Contributor
1,535 Posts
You're going to love those brakes.

Yep, Now both my GT's have Good Germany Brakes,, the Best!
Problem now is that Calipers No more, for 1977 BMW.. Not one left in USA

You must find spacers and make your own, wider Calipers, have extra set for my GT's
The rotors and Pads Gil and Udo will still keep in stock. JMHO

Attachments

4,231 Posts
Yep, Now both my GT's have Good Germany Brakes,, the Best!
Problem now is that Calipers No more, for 1977 BMW.. Not one left in USA

You must find spacers and make your own, wider Calipers, have extra set for my GT's
The rotors and Pads Gil and Udo will still keep in stock. JMHO
No no :no:
I will take the 2.2i Opel Rekord brake caliper with vented rotors!:yup:
Fit without space works on GT`s with greater rims as 13".I allways have 14" chrome rims.So no problem!
I take all the needed parts for my great spring 2019 project out of one doner car!
I do three steps backwards and decided not to use the hot mixed engine what I wrote before!:no:
I will go now the total stock way. So I need only one doner car for all. Engine,Automatic Trans,Wirering and Brakes!
Buy a 2.2i Opel Rekord with Auto Trans (3speed with locked by clutch convertor! Only 60000 Km when parked!
One owner car.Ever all work are made by Opel Service.Now the pre owner must go in a nursing home!
So I touched not the running complete system by the swap in the GT.Safe a lot of time!
The Rekord arrived yesterday the work shop by my friends who will make the swap job for me!
Here are the pictures from the 1986 May registerd car!

Oh oh,my wife is cussing. I buy a 5speed Getrag 240 and a 4speed AW-03-71 too and now I must look for new buyers. So I have all what I need in the Opel Rekord! Okay,tomorrow is a other day!:lmao:

Attachments

4,231 Posts
I need one of those short AW-03 auto trannies! You have an extra one? I want it!

Sorry Gordon
I don`t have a extra one.
But here still a AW03-71L! The same Trans as I have!
Maybe the seller will send also to the USA with TNT/Fedex? I think yes! When you change to european countrys the price will go down by 100 Euro.
My search I show here is by send to other countries out of Europ.

https://www.b-parts.com/en/store/products/125642/Automatikgetriebe+OPEL+OMEGA+A+V87+2+3+TD+F19+M19+N19+90+hp+1986+1988+25G

281 - 300 of 847 Posts