Opel GT Forum banner

381 - 400 of 834 Posts

·
Can Opeler
3,320 Posts
That’s strange. The cover I made has never hit, but then again I’m not a mars rover engineer and your cover is nicer!

I have lowered my radiator a bit by making a new bracket on the bottom. Dropped the radiator about a 1/8” but I didn’t do it for clearance.

Reactions: The Scifi Guy

·
Your Noble Friend ;-)
4,089 Posts
New 105 Amp alternator went into my 2.2 today.

Besides, I started to build my new Kadett E lower front spoiler lip. I used non-Opel parts, please don't tell anybody. Will be finished tomorrow, since I now have to help my neighbors to get drunk. :birthday:

Dieter

·
Registered
768 Posts
My wife drove the Opel GT while I drove the Lancia to a "Sick of Winter" cruise in. About 100 cars there. GT didn't win anything (it usually wins at any car show where the public gets to vote, like this one). But the Lancia won "Host's Favorite". The Opel ran great on the 35 mile each way trip with a mix of highway and backroads. On the return trip, my wife found an opening and beat the me home (Opel has more power and outrun the Lancia easily).

4,231 Posts
Ha ha
After 22 years I find out that my seat belt buckles are wrong.I install universal automatic 3 point belts when restore the 71 GT in 1996 from Udo (Splendid Parts).All the time I mean all will be good.But I didn`t know that the early GT´s have also other mounting location at the drive shaft tunnel.With the screw point under the quarter window I have know!But not at the tunnel also!And the difference measure is arround 4"

Und Now!:haha::lmao: I get the right short buckles from a 69 GT Owner out of Switzerland in barter.Built the parts in yesterday and all will be good.Now I sent today my long belt buckles to the switzerland and both of us will be happy.:drive:

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,403 Posts
The 69 1/2 models have a 5th seat belt bolt hole under the middle of the front seat, so that you can make your seat belts work like this:

th3RBS25WD.jpg

Good luck searching for it!

:veryhappy

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,403 Posts
I drove my car today! Without snow or salt on the road and the temperature at 60*! Wow! 60* in the middle of Winter! I just drove in snow a week or so ago!

I drove to the liquor store.

Hey, I was out of beer!

Then I drove to an Opel colleague's vintage car repair shop and showed him my hood window and told him about my Wagon. I took the twisty-turny way home and had a good time.

4,231 Posts
I drove my car today! Without snow or salt on the road and the temperature at 60*! Wow! 60* in the middle of Winter!

The same here today!Drove with the GT to the hospital!After them drove 1 1/2 hour arround on country roads.That is my best medicine:yup:
I think I will bring the GT end of february to the workshop.Then the 2.2 swap can be start!
Hope to have the oil pan at this march time!Will do all Gaskets and seals new!

Btw. Gordon you have a nice new avatar.But the bumper is wrong.The full metal new chromie one is done.
Also the chromie dome light and the donate dish in engine bay.
Tomorrow must drill 50 holes for the night sky stars in the box.A led light show with 8 functions will start arround a chromie blitz:party::birthday:

Norbert

·
Registered
183 Posts
The package from OGTS arrived today with a new transmission backup light sender, so I could add gear oil to finish installing the transmission pan. There were lots of metal shavings in the gear oil, so it’ll be nice to be able to drain it with the new pan.

I also replaced the rubber fuel lines on the fuel pump. The lines on it were on their last leg.

Attachments

·
Über Genius
8,967 Posts
That pan looks mighty dandy! I'm jealous!

I have an auto, so I can't get a cool pan like that.

:sigh:
Here's a good question...

Why can't you have a pan like that?
I have an auto also. If we got 10 people with auto trannies, maybe we could get a pan run done.

It wouldn't be difficult to draw up the design, I would think.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,403 Posts
Would the cost come down much if more than one was made? How much would one be?(I haven't paid any attention to the CNC'd pan thread). I'll make a Poll to see if any auto guys are interested...

·
Über Genius
8,967 Posts
Would the cost come down much if more than one was made? How much would one be?(I haven't paid any attention to the CNC'd pan thread). I'll make a Poll to see if any auto guys are interested...

The cost usually comes down dramatically, per piece, when the quantity goes up.

·
Super Moderator
13,493 Posts
Here's a good question...

Why can't you have a pan like that?
I have an auto also. If we got 10 people with auto trannies, maybe we could get a pan run done.

It wouldn't be difficult to draw up the design, I would think.

I think it would be hugely expensive to do a billet aluminum auto tranny pan. Assuming a deeper pan, you’re talking about a chunk of aluminum roughly 15” x 15” x 3” thick. Then the machining time to hollow it out.

Plus there’s the added design and manufacture of an oil pickup tube/filter extension. A manual gearbox uses splash lubrication, but an auto tranny has an oil pump and you wouldn’t want it to suck up any air.

4,231 Posts
Oh oh
Drove to Hartmut today,to have a look at my 1986 Opel Rekord 2.2 since the Car is in the work shop.
I be so unhappy to scrap this very nice car only for a drive train and brake swap.:sad6::crying:
Other Opeler say now I be a cannibal:ugh:
Oha
The whole interieur of the Rekord is like brand new.Never see that quality after 33 years.
I think the leather Steering wheel would be touch all the years only with gloves.
The Rekord run so smooth like new Car.And the Automatik THM180C is exactly what I ever want for my GT
Only 2000 rpm by 70 mi/h! Wow,that is realy cruising! Full my taste:drive:
Okay,my Benz have 2000 rpm by 90 mi/h with a 7 speed auto trans:cool:

@ Dieter
I look again the vakuum lines.And yes the number #6 goes to the EGR/AGR vent,I show in my PM (Insider)

·
Über Genius
8,967 Posts
I think it would be hugely expensive to do a billet aluminum auto tranny pan. Assuming a deeper pan, you’re talking about a chunk of aluminum roughly 15” x 15” x 3” thick. Then the machining time to hollow it out.

Plus there’s the added design and manufacture of an oil pickup tube/filter extension. A manual gearbox uses splash lubrication, but an auto tranny has an oil pump and you wouldn’t want it to suck up any air.
Why would you change the sump? The oil level wouldn't change. Just how much fluid the transmission holds.
The dipstick sets the level. The sump is tuned to the dipstick (and/or vice versa).

I don't know how deep the manual pan was but it looks like that metal blank would suffice. Other than the square inches side of it, I guess.

381 - 400 of 834 Posts