Opel GT Forum banner

421 - 440 of 808 Posts

·
1,691 Posts
Actually I will be taking the GT out today for lunch with the local European Car Club, should give me a chance to see how the pinion seal does.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Broke the tranny with a big CRUNCH when I was trying to free the clutch that had become stuck during the winter. Now it refuses to reverse but at least the forward gears work.:veryhappy

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi, finished off adjusting the clutch cable after a new clutch which involved resealing the transmission. I also did the oil pan and tie rod boots. Trying to make sure the machine is ready for the Show and Shines starting in June.

Happy Easter.

·
Senior Contributor
1,515 Posts
pulled engine...lowered

I took the Motor and Transmission out of my Yellow GT ( Yellow Bird) Today
The motor now has zero Oil pressure. Been gettin bad every year. No oil psi at Idle. Engine rebuild in 1997 with 92,000
Poor break in experience and lots of hard starts over the years
Time to rebuild , make another 2.0 motor out of 1.9 I guess, Only wished I could get my hands on a 2.2 motor,seems impossible
I'll post what the main bearings look like, worn to the bronze part :ugh: later

Attachments

·
1,691 Posts
Took the GT for a little run today. We went to a Cruise-in about 50 miles north of home on a little town square. Nice day to be out and about. I most often leave my headlights about half open. Always fun to watch people stop and discuss the concept of rotating headlights among themselves.

·
Spaceman
339 Posts
Soaked the right side poly bushing on the front spring in teflon-spray. It was beginning making a squeaking-death-noise worse than a fishing boat in distress, making my ears bleed.

I have also made a new spare wheel compartment as the old plywood was crap.

Cheers

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,290 Posts
Today I will find a scale model of my GTX car made by Norbert Schnause in my mailbox.

I might also find a Pertronics III ig trig there.

And there's a chance that window/door rubber for my Sportswagon might be there, too.

I also agreed to buy my friend's baby blue '75 Mantasconaluxus for $500, mainly just to get the title and strip it for spare parts.

:veryhappy

·
Spaceman
339 Posts
Gordo, Old Chap!

Please post a quality foto the GTX scale model so we can admire Norbert's work..- I'll bet he have outdone himself as usual:veryhappy

BR from a very sunny Easter Denmark.

·
1,691 Posts
Spent the better part of the day doing a project on the GT I have been putting off for s few years now. Pulled the steering column out to replace Ignition switch. I have a column I have already put a new switch in ready to go while I redo the column out of the GT. I have done this once before and now remember why I put it off. As with most Gt's the fuse box is old and brittle. It broke while trying to plug in new column. I am using some thin galvanized metal to reinforce the area. While doing the change I am also cleaning out some switches I had wired in during the past few years, things like electric fan and running lights. The last time I did this new switches were not obtainable so I had one rebuilt. I hope the new one lasts longer but if not I will have a spare column ready to go.

·
Vendor
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #431
Spent the better part of the day doing a project on the GT I have been putting off for s few years now. Pulled the steering column out to replace Ignition switch. I have a column I have already put a new switch in ready to go while I redo the column out of the GT. I have done this once before and now remember why I put it off. As with most Gt's the fuse box is old and brittle. It broke while trying to plug in new column. I am using some thin galvanized metal to reinforce the area. While doing the change I am also cleaning out some switches I had wired in during the past few years, things like electric fan and running lights. The last time I did this new switches were not obtainable so I had one rebuilt. I hope the new one lasts longer but if not I will have a spare column ready to go.
John,
Not a fun job, but well worth it for the peace of mind, knowing that your ignition switch is no longer a ticking time bomb. :veryhappy

·
1,691 Posts
Finished up the Column project. Now have two complete plug and play steering columns. When I finished I reconnected the Otto Start relay. I had disconnected it some time back over an issue with really bad ignition switch. At that point some will allow starter to engage while engine is running. With new switch it should take some load off and increase life expectancy. Anyway I am now free to move about the country.

·
Registered
622 Posts
This "What we did with Craig's Opel" was a multi- week project.

First we pulled the fuel tank to clean it, to cure a regular fuel filter clogging issue.
Then because the fuel gauge was sometimes erratic we removed the sensor and found it was falling apart inside.
....OGTS had a replacement.

Your garage is too crowded to fully open the car door ? You don't want to remove a seat ?
Put the tank in thru the roof.... It came out that way.

So ; Clean Tank, New Sensor, New Filler Hose and all New Vent Hoses. It's Almost Show Time !

Attachments

·
1,691 Posts
Went to a cars and coffee this morning. It was held at a local high end car dealership, BMW, Mercedes, Porsche etc. They are also the place to have your exotic worked on. Good turn out. They had the cars in 5 rows with their people determining which row you were in. Row 5 was for Cool, Interesting or Exotics. The Opel GT was sent to row 5. So I am sitting down the way from a Lambo, McLaren, Maserati, and some Lotus. Nice Morning!

Attachments

·
Vendor
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #438
Went to a cars and coffee this morning. It was held at a local high end car dealership, BMW, Mercedes, Porsche etc. They are also the place to have your exotic worked on. Good turn out. They had the cars in 5 rows with their people determining which row you were in. Row 5 was for Cool, Interesting or Exotics. The Opel GT was sent to row 5. So I am sitting down the way from a Lambo, McLaren, Maserati, and some Lotus. Nice Morning!
John,
How about interesting and exotic? :cool:
I noticed the crowd around the GT. Looks like a good time!
The Indy C&C tomorrow is at the Speedway, and I think
Graham Rahal is going to stop by. It must be May in Indy!
Cheers,
Ron in Indy

Attachments

·
1,691 Posts
Interesting factiod, the black McLaren in photo 6 was a birthday present to the Blonde walking away from it. You can see the plates in one of the other photos. They had parked but were told to move to row 5.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I ordered the chrome corners for the rear side windows. When I get back home next time, no more gaps.
Unfortunately they were the corners for the front /rear windshields. I guess I will have to order the correct ones from Germany. But on the brightside I took her out today for a 300 mile (round trip) road trip to Ft.Worth and back home again. I just love driving her even if she is noisy and rides harshly. I went up there to see my friend Robert, who has a GT in progress and we bled the front brakes, which work a lot better now. We also adjusted the parking brake which will now hold on a mild hill w/o me leaving her in gear. Although I will probably keep doing that as insurance. It was a really pleasant way to spend a day and the GT is getting pretty good mpg, although I don't have a number to share with y'all. All I know is that it costs me about 1/2 as much to go up there in the GT as it does in my Ford Ranger.

421 - 440 of 808 Posts