Opel GT Forum banner

541 - 560 of 590 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Removed the rear diff yesterday. Need trailing arms. Tried to unbolt them but the bushing sleeves are rusted onto the bolt so I cut the trailing arms. Today I'll find a creative way to cut the bolts through the bushings. Then I'll put it to the side and start repairing the sills. IMG_2097.JPG IMG_2312.JPG IMG_2081 (1).JPG IMG_2097.JPG IMG_2081 (1).JPG IMG_2312.JPG IMG_2081 (1).JPG IMG_2097.JPG

·
Registered
885 Posts
oh my I can see the light at the end of the tunnels
Maybe it's time for a break and a ride in the mini beside your opel Are the batteries charged it might be a long ride

·
Registered
177 Posts
Maybe it's time for a break and a ride in the mini beside your opel Are the batteries charged it might be a long ride
I took a break a few days ago when I saw all of the rust. I've accepted my lot in life and have been busy. I don't fit in that little car. I drive this when I need a boost.
I'm too big for the little car. I drive this when I need some boost.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I was gonna ask you about that Bob I saw it was your avatar
That my friend is freakin sweeeeet
Thanks, yeah it's different. It was built in the 80's and I spent three years updating it and fixing everything and anything that needed attention. I ran out of things to do on it so I put it in my son's barn and bought the GT to keep active. I've been thinking of a vanity plate for my red GT and came up with REDONE....or RED ONE. Either or will do!

·
Registered
37 Posts
The drivers seat had started making a popping noise whenever when changing gears, braking, etc. I thought there might be something wrong with the sliders, so I took the seat out and instead found that the front, left attachment bolt had pulled the captive nut right through the sill. Is this something that commonly happens with Opel GTs?

Well, I decided to just go ahead and fix it. I cut out the area of the sill, and made a patch out of 16g sheet metal. I welded on a new captive nut, and welded the patch back in, and gave it some primer. No more popping noise!

·
Registered
885 Posts
Nice job bud looks great
I finally figured out my last wiring issue with the reverse light and my son and I enjoyed an hour of drive time
We really enjoy being in more than under it LOL

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
1,022 Posts
Thanks, yeah it's different. It was built in the 80's and I spent three years updating it and fixing everything and anything that needed attention. I ran out of things to do on it so I put it in my son's barn and bought the GT to keep active. I've been thinking of a vanity plate for my red GT and came up with REDONE....or RED ONE. Either or will do!
I vote for 'OL RUSTY'....jeest pokin' at ya LOL

Had plenty of strange places to repair on the '72 Manta project.... not a salt car but sat under a tree in hot TX for years. Things like the rear window rubber burned out.... let water on the package shelf....rusted out the INSIDE metal of the C pillars!

·
Registered
177 Posts
The drivers seat had started making a popping noise whenever when changing gears, braking, etc. I thought there might be something wrong with the sliders, so I took the seat out and instead found that the front, left attachment bolt had pulled the captive nut right through the sill. Is this something that commonly happens with Opel GTs?

View attachment 424528

Well, I decided to just go ahead and fix it. I cut out the area of the sill, and made a patch out of 16g sheet metal. I welded on a new captive nut, and welded the patch back in, and gave it some primer. No more popping noise!

View attachment 424529

View attachment 424530

View attachment 424531

View attachment 424532
Very nice work. I wish you were my next door neighbor. "Hey Buddy, got a minute?"

·
Registered
177 Posts
I vote for 'OL RUSTY'....jeest pokin' at ya LOL

Had plenty of strange places to repair on the '72 Manta project.... not a salt car but sat under a tree in hot TX for years. Things like the rear window rubber burned out.... let water on the package shelf....rusted out the INSIDE metal of the C pillars!
LOL I thought of naming it Rusty but it might make it harder to sell. It's comforting to hear other people's rust stories. I've watched some videos online that make my car look pristine. I have big respect for people with welding and sheet metal talents.

·
Vendor
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #555
Nice job bud looks great
I finally figured out my last wiring issue with the reverse light and my son and I enjoyed an hour of drive time
We really enjoy being in more than under it LOL
Congratulations Terry.
The driving part is the reward for the building/fixing part. Others may disagree, but for me, the greasy, dirty, knuckle-skinning stuff is a necessary evil for owning
old cars (unless you have Jay Leno-like resources) :)

·
Vendor
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #558
Just lovely, Keith. Congratulations on approaching the finish line.
Did you convert the front turn signal lights to fog lights? I like the halo effect.
Cheers,
Ron in FL

·
Registered
885 Posts
Mr. Keith, WOW very nice mine is envy and a bit jealous of yours
I hope one day in the near future mine will look as fantastic as yours
Swell job I too really like the front lights conversion more info on that front would be nice Thank you

·
1,502 Posts
I installed those type of lights in my GT and they have (halo) running lights, fog lights and orange turn signal lights.
I got the ones from OGTS when they had a sale.
Your car looks great Keith!

541 - 560 of 590 Posts