Opel GT Forum banner

561 - 580 of 587 Posts

·
RunOpel
801 Posts
Keith that is a beautiful GT :) Tell me you don't drive that in the snow 🤔
Bob I don't think any GT owner gets away from having some form of rust. Now with that said, some have to deal with way more rust than others. Keep at it and you will eventually win the battle. By the way. you do have a very nice restored classic.

I just replaced a water pump 😝 I have owned this GT now 4 1/2 years and have pulled the radiator four times. I wonder how many times some of you have pulled your radiator. It seems the more you do something, the better you get. I have been meaning to replace the radiator drain plug with a drain petcock that has an extended hose. I hate the mess when the coolant is released. Of course I didn't get around to it, so hopefully on the fifth radiator pull, I will actually do it. How many of you have made that change?

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
1,017 Posts
I have been meaning to replace the radiator drain plug with a drain petcock that has an extended hose. I hate the mess when the coolant is released. Of course I didn't get around to it, so hopefully on the fifth radiator pull, I will actually do it. How many of you have made that change?
I just got bigger drain pans LOL

·
Super Moderator
5,599 Posts
Just lovely, Keith. Congratulations on approaching the finish line.
Did you convert the front turn signal lights to fog lights? I like the halo effect.
Cheers,
Ron in FL
Thanks! The "fog lights" are the OGTS LED combo "DRL/Driving/Turn" units. They don't have a "running light" function, except for the angel eye DRL's. I converted the curved corner lamps to 1157 dual elements, so they are now both "running light" and "turn" which I understand the European GT's had.

·
Super Moderator
5,599 Posts
Keith that is a beautiful GT :) Tell me you don't drive that in the snow 🤔

I have been meaning to replace the radiator drain plug with a drain petcock that has an extended hose. I hate the mess when the coolant is released. Of course I didn't get around to it, so hopefully on the fifth radiator pull, I will actually do it. How many of you have made that change?
Thanks! No plans to drive it in the snow (!!!) but maybe someday. When it was my Daily Driver back in the late '70's (yep, owned this one since 1978) it was always driven in the snow, as I was in university back in Winterpeg Manitoba...

I added a drain-cock to the bottom driver's side corner. I placed a small metal funnel with a drain tube, slightly bent to fit, under it last week when I had to drain the rad to replace a leaky heater valve, and nary a drop went astray.

·
Super Moderator
5,599 Posts
Wow, Keith. Very nice! You even still have the chrome garnish trim around the grill opening.
Umm, that is cheap Chinese plastic 3/8" trim I bought on eBay, stuck to the grill edges after they were installed. It's already starting to come unstuck, so I'll buy another roll, remove the grills, and install the trim so the grill screws also hold the trim piece. The factory holes in the belly pan for the OEM trim are mostly still there, but that requires OEM trim which I don't know is available and is probably too spendy for my budget

·
RunOpel
801 Posts
Keith if I replace the amber curved corner lamps to bulb 1157, that will allow both running and turn signal function? No other modification is required? If not, I like that idea :)

·
1,502 Posts
I run that same bulb setup and you need to install a 1157 bulb holder and rewire your lights (turn and park).
I used a cut-off wheel to remove stock lamp socket and ground the opening to fit the 1157 bulb holder.
HTH

·
Registered
177 Posts
Mr. Keith, WOW very nice mine is envy and a bit jealous of yours
I hope one day in the near future mine will look as fantastic as yours
Swell job I too really like the front lights conversion more info on that front would be nice Thank you
Terry said it all. It looks great!

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
1,017 Posts
Trimmed out part of the short domes on my Arias pistons. Now I know why they were sold to me on eBay cheap... they were not spec'd right. The domes would hit the head over under the spark plug area! Even doubling up 2 standard head gaskets would not have been thick enough.....

·
RunOpel
801 Posts
Hey Guyopel, if and when, could you post a few pictures of your setup with the 1157 bulb holder and wiring?
I like the idea of having those side marker lights used as turn signals as well. Also where did you get the bulb holder or is it something that is just standard at a auto store? As you can tell, I'm a little lost in the weeds. Its that rookie again :)

·
Opeler
2,882 Posts
Front side turn signals---Anyone do this?
https://www.splendidparts.de/kaufhaus_2/en/Opel-GT/Electrical-und-Lenses/Opel-GT-turn-light-reflector?source=2&refertype=1&referid=68
Another new Splendid Parts Production!
This is a set of 2 brand new Opel GT turn light reflectors.
Forget Rust - They are made of Stainless Steel!
Scope of delivery are 2 reflectors.

·
1,502 Posts
Hey Guyopel, if and when, could you post a few pictures of your setup with the 1157 bulb holder and wiring?
I like the idea of having those side marker lights used as turn signals as well. Also where did you get the bulb holder or is it something that is just standard at a auto store? As you can tell, I'm a little lost in the weeds. Its that rookie again :)
Parts stores or Amazon have the 1157 bulb holders.
HTH

·
Registered
885 Posts
Well my son has talked me into installing a thumpin stereo system in the gt.
should be interesting as the plan is to make a fully incased system in the rear stereo, amps, speakers and all on a hinge so if we have to get to the spare we just lift up the whole stereo assembly up and get to what we need this is going to be fun:poop: with a smile.
Man the things you do for your fantastic kids
wouldn't have it any other way

561 - 580 of 587 Posts