Opel GT Forum banner

621 - 640 of 675 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
I just finished adding turn signals to the front side marker lights :)
Wow that sure makes a difference with added visibility. Is it my understanding that Opel's made for Europe had the turn signal in the front side marker lights? If so, why didn't the US Opel's have the same?
I"m very interested in how you did this. Did you just change out the single filament bulb mount to a dual and run a jumper wire from the front turn signals or was it more involved?

·
RunOpel
929 Posts
Its very easy to modify. You need to get a dual filament 1157 socket (sold at most auto supply stores) so you can use both the running light along with a turn signal. Change out the 1156 bulb to a 1157 bulb. I have the new fog/turn/running lights from OGTS which I replaced with the front amber turn signals. I just added a 18 gauge wire from the side marker light to the fog/turn/running light (tapped into the turn signal wire). I followed the same wire path from the side marker light up through the headlight bucket. If you open the headlights halfway, it will give you room to navigate the wire. Also, remove the small access panel inside the wheel well to better navigate the wire.

I did have to do a little modifying to the side marker lamp housing. I carefully removed the original socket. I used a nail set (wider point) to tap out the three inserts holding the socket (a little tap on each one going in a circle keeping uniformity to push out evenly). I held the marker light housing in one hand with the nail set and tapped with the other. Just take your time and be patient as to not damage the lamp housing. Mine came out with no issues. I attached a picture of the socket I used and a picture of install. I suppose you could find a socket that would work without removing the original socket. I couldn't find anything to work properly without completely removing the original socket. The socket I used did have to be modified in order to fit through the side marker lamp housing hole. I used a bench grinder and carefully grind around the widest part to the size that would fit through the hole. Make sure to remove the two wires in the socket before grinding so you don't inadvertently damage them. As you can see from the picture, a very nice secure fit. Good luck :) you will really enjoy the added visibility.

Dorman Light Socket.JPG Front Side Marker Light.JPG

·
Opelnut
923 Posts

Back from having The Vin Checked by DMV for Plates !!
sure was a fun short outing

·
Vendor
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #625
Imported car? Curious as to why the DMV needed to see the VIN.....
That's the way it works here in FL also for first-time registrations, although you can request an at home VIN verification by a police officer. Very helpful if you are not close to the DMV or if the car is not entirely road worthy.

·
Opelnut
923 Posts
yes If car is not purchased in state then one must get it Vin Verified to registered. and they used to do it at home/work but now they claim to be to busy to make appointments (Yet they drive by the house multiple times a day?

·
Opelnut
923 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Finished installing the 1" lowering springs, Konis, and PU bushings. The swap was pretty straightforward. Have to drill out the trailing arm brackets for the PU bushings; step drill wasn't long enough to clear the lower rocker panel. If you're swapping to the PU bushings get a 6" long 7/16 drill bit.
Found out that the panhard bar has to be completely disconnected from the axle; I had it on finger tight but couldn't line up the trailing arm bolts until the panhard was off and had enough play in the suspension.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Besides the suspension work, the speedo cable has been making a horrific chattering sound lately, especially above 30 mph. Maria got underneath the dash and removed the cable, cleaned and lubed the cable and connection on the back of the speedo. Noise gone!

Attachments

·
RunOpel
929 Posts
Keith what was the outcome of your Calgary World of Wheels show? Any pictures and/or awards :)

·
Super Moderator
5,624 Posts
Keith what was the outcome of your Calgary World of Wheels show? Any pictures and/or awards :)
It went well, thanks for asking. With the help of a couple of our Calgary Opel'ers, Chris Sore (Limeysore, '78 Manta B) and Barry Olsen (don't know his username, '69 GT, shown in and next to Sterling's Rally Gold GT), we loaded my Opel GT up on Matt's (MattsAwsomeStuff) trailer and hauled it down to the Stampede Grounds Thursday afternoon for the show that ran Friday night thru to Sunday evening. Sterling Rempel (also don't know his user name) drove his very nice Opel GT down. Long days hanging around talking to hundreds of folks about my car and Opels in general, including two guys who had Opel GT's I didn't know prior, and one guy who wanted one. So I pointed him to a very nice local Opel GT that hadn't sold last summer at auction, but was for sale on Auto Trader. And he bought it later the next week! Welcome to Tom Bradshaw!!!

My GT was part of our Vintage Sports Car Club's (VSCCC.ca) display, that included a De Thomaso Pantera, our two Opel GT's, Sterling's wife's Nissan Figaro, and an exquisite Jag D Type. Technically a replica, but built to the exact specifications of the original D Type.

There were something like 260 cars shown, and my car was in the running for a special award for cars shown for the very first time. Turns out there were over 60 (sixty!) cars in the running, and mine didn't make the top six. The quality of the cars shown was bordering on the unbelievable, with many restorations valued at six figures. But I wasn't embarrassed at all, as my car drew quite a lot of attention.

So, it did get one award, 2nd place in "Conservative Sport, '69 to '82". Really a participation ward, and first place went to the De Thomaso. Probably worth four times what my car is.

Loaded my Opel GT with Chris' help at the end of the show during a typical Calgary blizzard, and aside from getting pretty dirty on the tow home, we all survived the weekend.

Attachments

·
RunOpel
929 Posts
Thanks Keith, your Opel GT is awesome in my book :) Sounds like a fun weekend. To bad for that blizzard, but you got home safe. Wish I lived closer and could have attended. When I was a kid my parents took a vacation through parts of Canada and one place we stopped was the Calgary Stampede. I loved it.

·
Opeler
693 Posts
While I put the front wheels back on today, this was a serval day process. Over the course of 3 or 4 evenings, I took a wire wheel and fine grit sandpaper to my rusty calipers, sprayed them with brakleen and repeated until I got them to a nice metal finish. Then I used the G2 caliper high temp epoxy paint kit to spruce them up. I’m very happy with how it turned out!

Eric

·
Opeler
693 Posts
Today I got the new emulsion tubes in for my DCOEs. I got everything put together to reinstall and just as I started to put the first jet in, the main jet slide off the emulsion tube and fell IN THE JET CHAMBER. The odds on that have to be tiny. So, I had to take the linkage off, unbolt the carb from the intake to dump it upside down to get the jet out. I was successful in that venture. However, I noticed something on the rubber flange between the carbs & intake....the rubber on #2 is damaged. This is the barrel I’ve had some popping out of when trying to tune. Any chance that this has been part of the problem for that?
Either way, I’m going to order a new one of these.
Eric

·
1,526 Posts
Yes

·
Can Opeler
3,208 Posts
No need to unbolt the carb. I drop jets in there on a near weekly basis. Get some of the cheap $1.00 pick tools from harbor freight. Use the strait one to wedge into the jet and pull it out. I had to grind mine slightly to make it work well.

·
Opeler
693 Posts
No need to unbolt the carb. I drop jets in there on a near weekly basis. Get some of the cheap $1.00 pick tools from harbor freight. Use the strait one to wedge into the jet and pull it out. I had to grind mine slightly to make it work well.
Well, I’m glad I’m not the only one to have done it! I hope I never do it again, but thanks for the tip.

Eric

·
Super Moderator
13,225 Posts
Didn’t work on any of my Opels today, but I did dig out my ZF 5-speed from long time storage. It will finally be going home to NH for good!

·
RunOpel
929 Posts
Very nice brake caliper painting Eric :) did you paint them in place or remove them?
Bob you are definitely staying busy. Did you build that shop BIG enough for all your stuff???

·
Opeler
693 Posts
Very nice brake caliper painting Eric :) did you paint them in place or remove them?
Bob you are definitely staying busy. Did you build that shop BIG enough for all your stuff???
I actually painted them in place. I taped off everything I wanted to remain untouched, like nuts/bolts, metal & rubber lines, and the rotors, etc.

621 - 640 of 675 Posts