Opel GT Forum banner

781 - 798 of 798 Posts

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
1,454 Posts
Adjusted the points with the correct 0.016'' feeler gauge between the points. (I have the 1975 type FI distributor), which I have done many times before, but this time I didn't rely on the feel gauge alone, but also used a dwell meter, and surprise surprise 0.016'' gave me a steady reading of 43 degrees, but using a 0.015'' gave me spot and steady 50 degrees dwell.

I must (shamefully) admit that I have always relied on the feeler gauge alone, and never used a dwell meter to actually check if my adjustment was spot on..- let me just say that won't happen again.

Cheers.
I've never used a dwell meter on these and used to rev the stock system past 8k RPM all the time; never a misfire. IMHO, 4 cylinders are not all that critical compared to V8's; relatively speaking, you have double the time to charge the coil's magnetic field between firings. Once you are past the minimum needed dwell angle to adequately charge the coil, the remaining dwell time is not of any use.

·
1,556 Posts
Every 12,000 miles for points adjustment....I do not miss this.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I started on replacing front suspension bushings on my manta as well as installed a new master cylinder. The kadett got some new rear wheels and tires, unfortunately front drivers side rubs on the bent fender

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
1,454 Posts
Just make absolutely sure that you put some new grease on the points rubbing block each time. There are only a few greases that are suitable, like the grease that you used to get with points, or a clear silicon grease. I have heard of folks using dielectric grease, but cannot vouch for that as being good.

I had a friend put lithium grease on a set of points; lithium grease is abrasive. It wore the nubs off of the distributor's center shaft in a few thousand miles!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Where to begin? I continued my search for a nearby replacement belly pan and lower radiator support. I did find an oxidized orange GT in Ephrata, WA. It's been sitting outside for 15+ years at a storage facility, but the facility won't share the contact info. Checked on my pending order for front splash shields gaskets. Still pending. Started engine disassembly and inspection.

·
Opeler
26 Posts
Where to begin? I continued my search for a nearby replacement belly pan and lower radiator support. I did find an oxidized orange GT in Ephrata, WA. It's been sitting outside for 15+ years at a storage facility, but the facility won't share the contact info. Checked on my pending order for front splash shields gaskets. Still pending. Started engine disassembly and inspection.
Ephrata isnt a big place, that was easy to find.
Google Maps

·
Detritus Maximus
2,135 Posts
They might be willing to pass your contact info along to the owner.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Today I removed the cylinder head. The pistons don’t look like the ones I‘ve seen on this site. Any ideas?

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
1,454 Posts
Looks like stock low compression pistons. Or could be just about any stock replacement low-compression pistons, like the forged TRW's from back-in-the-day, or some other brand. These nominally are supposed to be 7.6 static CR, but in reality, they will be around 7.0 SCR, especially with that Felpro head gasket.

·
Your Noble Friend ;-)
4,025 Posts
I always liked that body style of Kadett.
Me too. I wrecked the one of my mother two years before I was of legal driving age. That was in 1981 when the car was a barely used, used car. She was not amused, but she got another one which I bought (!!!) from her a few years later.
Never stopped loving the style, if I had to pick my most favorite Opel model style it would be the 2-door Kadett B Sedan!

Dieter

781 - 798 of 798 Posts