Opel GT Forum banner

801 - 820 of 834 Posts

·
RunOpel
1,253 Posts
That is beautiful Keith (Opel and scenery) I love the part of the world you live in :)

Reactions: kwilford

·
1,584 Posts
Looks good.

·
Registered
163 Posts
)
Have a quick look at page 188 of the GT LOVE book (authored by Hens Cooper and Harald Hamprecht) and see if you recognize anyone....
Oh yeah!!!! Ole Gerald Weber..... Met him in 98.

Hahaha J/K Keith. Very cool! Need an updated picture with your car complete.

·
Super Moderator
5,772 Posts
Oh yeah!!!! Ole Gerald Weber..... Met him in 98.
Hahaha J/K Keith. Very cool! Need an updated picture with your car complete.
Been a few posted. Here's a couple from Friday

Attachments

·
1,584 Posts
Not my Opel but going to look at Dan's GT aka "Wrench" to try and get this car running so it can be driven also to inspect brakes etc. and check fuel system. Lisa and Dan's daughter would like to get this car running and so do we "The GA Opel Group".
We miss Dan!

John

·
Super Moderator
13,490 Posts
Not my Opel but going to look at Dan's GT aka "Wrench" to try and get this car running so it can be driven also to inspect brakes etc. and check fuel system. Lisa and Dan's daughter would like to get this car running and so do we "The GA Opel Group".
We miss Dan!

John
I know a lot of people got uptight about some of his ramblings, but I for one miss the guy. Behind the commentary and obscurity was a guy who just wanted to learn AND share what he already knew.

I hope you get the car running. Don’t feel obligated to keep that EFI system, it was all experimental.

·
1,584 Posts
Edwin and I got the rear brakes fixed ( rear were locked up). On to getting car to crank and run: no spark and fuel pump would not turn on (operating sys. is from a 94 T-Bird, ECM, coil pack, 4 injectors added to 4 throttle bodies, somebody named Rally Bob make a custom air inlet for this setup).
Car had no spark and I lucked up and and found poor connection at the added fuse block nothing was marked.
Found and tested fuel pump and relay, repaired open connector and now had fuel pump working .
None of this was Opel stuff (Ford) or Opel wiring and I am a GM guy... but I got lucky ( Dan did not leave me any graphs to go by...... ) the wiring papers he left were just enough to be able to get his car running........ when Edwin and I got the car running ..Lisa cried..first time she has heard it run since Dan's passing she was happy! It was a good Opel Day.
John and thanks to Edwin for his help.

·
Opeler
920 Posts
Edwin and I got the rear brakes fixed ( rear were locked up). On to getting car to crank and run: no spark and fuel pump would not turn on (operating sys. is from a 94 T-Bird, ECM, coil pack, 4 injectors added to 4 throttle bodies, somebody named Rally Bob make a custom air inlet for this setup).
Car had no spark and I lucked up and and found poor connection at the added fuse block nothing was marked.
Found and tested fuel pump and relay, repaired open connector and now had fuel pump working .
None of this was Opel stuff (Ford) or Opel wiring and I am a GM guy... but I got lucky ( Dan did not leave me any graphs to go by...... ) the wiring papers he left were just enough to be able to get his car running........ when Edwin and I got the car running ..Lisa cried..first time she has heard it run since Dan's passing she was happy! It was a good Opel Day.
John and thanks to Edwin for his help.
This is a really fantastic post. Great to see fellow Opelers helping out in a time of need. Really cool to hear about how Dan’s wife reacted to everything.

·
Opelnut
933 Posts

Took out the Conrero to Family Breakfast/ Lunch
State Patrol followed Me about 3 miles on the way home. He Either didn't want to get wet as it was a bit rainy or was just looking at the car as I was about 10 to 15 over posted limit with the rest of traffic. Lucky for sure

·
Opeler
466 Posts
Went to a local cruise in and met another local Opel GT guy! Did not have his car out but was super excited to see mine. His GT has transmission woes but we'll help him get back on the road! Gotta grow the local Opelitis club. Here's a picture of a Corvette with the same Velocity Yellow Paint I used on my 70 GT.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
13,490 Posts
In a rare moment of rest from my normal routine of barn cleaning and shop setup, I got to work on something Opel-related for myself.

Yesterday I helped a family member move and the effort of lifting furniture and carrying it up and down stairs in high humidity and mid-90 degree heat for 6 hours left me sunburned and dehydrated. I drank 11 bottles of water but managed to sweat out 6 lbs. Yup, I really hate the heat....

Anyway, during today’s recovery period I chopped down a set of aluminum bumpers for my future 1975 Sportwagon. I got the idea from Dennis Bolduc (NH Opel) who cut down his 1974 Manta’s aluminum bumpers to emulate an early Manta chrome bumper.

I didn’t go as narrow as he did, since I’m retaining the factory shock absorbing bumper mounts. I’m just turning the mounts sideways, so I have a minimum width inside the bumper needed for the bumper shock mount to fit.

I still have to sand the joints and bevel them for welding, then weld them 100%, sand the welds down, make the mounts fit, drill the underside with a hole saw to lighten the bumpers, cut out the front bumper for new turn signals, then decide on the finish...polished or painted or powdercoated...no idea yet. Other than that, almost done. 🤣

·
Registered
172 Posts
A Change Of Pace.....Sometimes a rest from the OPEL is required so I took the week off from the Opel to Paint the living room and foyer, that is the last 7 days, not finished yet - wife said, pay someone to do it -however that has never been my nature - if I can do it myself, I have always done it myself, which is almost everything, that includes the Opel, that's right I am frugal, maybe cheap is a better word. Since I started the ground up restoration, early 90's, I have not taken the GT to a mechanic with the exception to adjust the toe in. Last time, prior to that, was sometime prior to 1981. Of course that would not have been possible without the combined wisdom and knowledge of the members of this forum, I have learned so much and that has enabled me to get so much done. So it is with thanks, to the members of the forum, that has allowed me to take time off from my project car to concentrate on other projects, like painting, really exciting, right. Not near as much fun but rewarding nonetheless. I am fortunate to have a friend with scaffolding and a wife that has worked side by side with me to make it happen. That includes moving the scaffolding from the living room to the foyer that required dismateling the top two sections to move it to the foyer. Ask me is we are tired. My wife hated the 15 year old yellow paint........she had purple in mind for the mantle but as you can see that did not work out....

A couple of pictures so you know that you are missing and the fun that I have enjoyed.

20200720_194211.jpg
20200724_145102.jpg
20200726_161820.jpg

·
Registered
34 Posts
Over the course of two weekends we changed out the exhaust manifold for the OGTS shorty header. Other than the six down pipe flange bolts its a pretty easy swap. Used the downtime to clean and polish the intake, change out the hazmat firewall mat and upgrade the wiring to the oil pressure sending unit.
Got everything bolted up today and fired her up with open headers - love the sound! I want to drive it around for a while but Maria's a little self conscience about the noise. Heck, the Opel is still quieter than my Coronet is with full exhaust!
Obviously before the carb is back on. The intake and the header look so good together. Other than the exhaust, which I'll get to, this is one of the better upgrades you can do to a 1.9L.

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Regarding the down pipe - two of the six flange bolts stripped during the teardown (they were recessed Allen head screws). So I had to sawz-all the down pipe above the collector in order to lift the intake/exhaust manifolds out. OGTS is currently out of stock of the down pipe so I took the exhaust manifold along with the head pipe to a local muffler shop to see if they could replicate the pipe. They would have to fab a new flange (the current one is beat to s*!t) and then fab the down pipe using the original as a template. The quote is $250-$300 - about 2x the price of OGTS' catalog pipe. But we don't have to wait until who knows when. We're mulling over the options.

·
Registered
34 Posts
While the passenger side of he engine was essentially open we took the opportunity to clean the passenger inner fender and replace the original firewall mat which had become it's own Superfund site from years of collecting oil and debris. Ordered the new mat from OGTS and taking the advice from forum members, we taped off the exposed ends with HVAC tape. The old mat was nasty, falling apart in pieces. But surprisingly the new mat installed pretty easily (probably because Maria did most of the work while I tended to the intake).
Before:

Attachments

801 - 820 of 834 Posts