Opel GT Forum banner

821 - 834 of 834 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
While the passenger side of he engine was essentially open we took the opportunity to clean the passenger inner fender and replace the original firewall mat which had become it's own Superfund site from years of collecting oil and debris. Ordered the new mat from OGTS and taking the advice from forum members, we taped off the exposed ends with HVAC tape. The old mat was nasty, falling apart in pieces. But surprisingly the new mat installed pretty easily (probably because Maria did most of the work while I tended to the intake).
Before:
After:

Attachments

·
Registered
592 Posts
Have you asked OGTS how long it will take to get the down pipe? SplendidParts has it in stock although there are two issues: First; they can be a bit of a chore to deal with from this side of the pond, as there is a time delay before they get the order, figure the cost and then ask you to pay for it before shipping it (helps to have a PayPal account; second and more immediate, like many European businesses at this time of the year, they are shut down for vacation and not accepting any orders until 14 August. Having said this, I have been quite happy with their service over time.

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
1,706 Posts
Regarding the down pipe - two of the six flange bolts stripped during the teardown (they were recessed Allen head screws). So I had to sawz-all the down pipe above the collector in order to lift the intake/exhaust manifolds out. OGTS is currently out of stock of the down pipe so I took the exhaust manifold along with the head pipe to a local muffler shop to see if they could replicate the pipe. They would have to fab a new flange (the current one is beat to s*!t) and then fab the down pipe using the original as a template. The quote is $250-$300 - about 2x the price of OGTS' catalog pipe. But we don't have to wait until who knows when. We're mulling over the options.
So just how badly is the existing flange beat up?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Have you asked OGTS how long it will take to get the down pipe? SplendidParts has it in stock although there are two issues: First; they can be a bit of a chore to deal with from this side of the pond, as there is a time delay before they get the order, figure the cost and then ask you to pay for it before shipping it (helps to have a PayPal account; second and more immediate, like many European businesses at this time of the year, they are shut down for vacation and not accepting any orders until 14 August. Having said this, I have been quite happy with their service over time.
Talked to Richard today. He hopes to get a shipment in next month, but also cautioned that in today's situation his vendor supply isn't as reliable as it used to be. We both agree that the current quote is way high so he said he was going to look into other options - no guarantees.
If his supplier is roughly on-time then August is right around the corner. Plus we also bought the 1" lowering front spring that has to be installed, that will be another two weekends.

·
Super Moderator
13,483 Posts
Talked to Richard today. He hopes to get a shipment in next month, but also cautioned that in today's situation his vendor supply isn't as reliable as it used to be. We both agree that the current quote is way high so he said he was going to look into other options - no guarantees.
If his supplier is roughly on-time then August is right around the corner. Plus we also bought the 1" lowering front spring that has to be installed, that will be another two weekends.
If you are in a rush, I have a new stock GT headpipe I’d let go.

·
Registered
630 Posts
This morning at 6:00 a.m. the Garage was 92 degrees, at 10:00 p.m. it had been 100.
So I put the GT on jack stands to take weight off the tires, but I don't think flat spots
are a problem with steel belts as they were back in the day with Rayon (?) belted tires
on cold mornings. Does anyone remember Thump..Thump..Thump...for the first mile ?

Today the forecast for Phoenix is 117, maybe 118. It will be closer to 112 +
IMG_3771 - Copy.JPG
in Cave Creek.
But no Hurricanes here, no mosquitoes either !! Low humidity also. ( No Rain )

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Nylon caused the flat spot thumping but it was the strongest cord at the time. Rayon is soft. I remember Goodyear polysteel tires. They were steel belted radials but the steel belt was only an inch or two wide.

The day I moved from Phoenix was 122 degrees and Sky Harbor was shut down. It was no fun loading a moving van in that heat. Must of been natures way of kicking my butt out of AZ.

Reactions: GTRoy

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
1,706 Posts
Nylon was (and still is) prone to flat spots. Especially in the 60's when it was first introduced on bias ply tires IIRC.. my dad's first nylon cord bias ply tires set stayed on the car for 2 days and he took them back! (I can remember him driving down Main Street and explaining to me what was going on...it was either '61 or the '64 Dodge wagon.)

The new Pirelli CN36 tyres have nylon belts in them, and I have noticed some thumping after they set for a week or 2. But it goes away after they heat up enough.... 3-5 miles at 55 mph in spring temperatures in the VA mtns.

·
Spaceman
345 Posts
Finaly got time to wash my GT clean for all the dirt, dust and tire peeling collected on our Swedish Track Day adventure at Sturup Raceway.

Attached you'll find a sorry excuse for a short action video from our day at Sturup Raceway

Please bear with me, it's our very first attempt using a Older GoPro6 camera, so there is room for improvement in the future..- "music" going forward will definitely be when we find a way to hook up a external mic. close to the exhaust or we just get better editing, but that is all to come.

Memo to self : Set camera to 60 frames pr. sec. instead of 30 frames pr. sec. Banghead :rolleyes:

Cheers

Attachments

·
RunOpel
1,249 Posts
Beautiful GT and cool video. Looks like a fun day at the track :)

Reactions: GTeglman

·
Registered
630 Posts
Nothing wrong with your music, But engine noise would be even better music !
We want more...
My Opel was black when I found it. Looks very good on a GT, but when I restored mine I went with original color.

·
Spaceman
345 Posts
Nothing wrong with your music, But engine noise would be even better music !
We want more...
My Opel was black when I found it. Looks very good on a GT, but when I restored mine I went with original color.
@GTRoy, I agree engine or exhaust "music" would have been a lot better, and I have already ordered a mic. adapter and are looking for a external mic. with a long cord.

Chance are good that I'll give you more track day action videos sometimes in September. Plans are that will go to Kør racerbil | Padborg Park har bilerne og Danmarks længste motorbane the Sep. 7'th.

Lats but not least, my GT is very dark blue metallic, but in most pictures it appears black.

Cheers,

821 - 834 of 834 Posts