Opel GT Forum banner

841 - 846 of 846 Posts

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
1,825 Posts
This time, I spent time inspecting the mating surfaces and found both the axle flange and the housing surface to be a bit scored, and some rough stuff still on the axle portion.
Is the wear/galling on the axle shaft or on the outer surface of the axle bearing's outer race? The axle bearing should not easily pull off of the axle shaft. Are there witness marks of the bearing turning against the retainer plate?

If there is enough gap between the axle bearing's outer race and the axle housing, you might get it in there more snugly with a ring, or partial ring, of thin steel shim stock. Sealing such a ring would need that RTV. Sleeve retaining compound would work great..... but you'd likely not every get the bearing out again! There might be some other compound that would fill that gap well, but not be so permanent.

·
Registered
52 Posts
This weekend we installed the 1" drop spring, sway bar link bushings and Koni shocks. Fairly smooth R&R; can be done in one day if you know what you're doing. I got hung up on the instructions about removing the LCA to cross member bolts. Thinking like a Mopar guy, it must mean the bushing bolts because that's how all cars attach the LCA. Took some time and a read through the FSM before I found the "other" LCA attaching bolts. One sticking point was securing the bolt head from turning while loosening the lock nut. Finally got a thin walled socket with a wobble and long extension to hold the bolt head.
Sorry, no pics of the car on all fours yet; still need to do an alignment.

Attachments

·
Registered
614 Posts
Is the wear/galling on the axle shaft or on the outer surface of the axle bearing's outer race? The axle bearing should not easily pull off of the axle shaft. Are there witness marks of the bearing turning against the retainer plate?

If there is enough gap between the axle bearing's outer race and the axle housing, you might get it in there more snugly with a ring, or partial ring, of thin steel shim stock. Sealing such a ring would need that RTV. Sleeve retaining compound would work great..... but you'd likely not every get the bearing out again! There might be some other compound that would fill that gap well, but not be so permanent.
I'll take pictures when I pull it out again, about which I have a degree of confidence...

·
Registered
185 Posts
This morning I performed some Opel Yoga by replacing the headlight relay. Good news is that my headlights work again. The old relay finally went bad, and from the looks of it it’s been on it’s way out for awhile.

Attachments

841 - 846 of 846 Posts