Opel GT Forum banner

881 - 900 of 911 Posts

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
2,130 Posts
Started pulling a 1.9L engine apart; easiest way to get it out of the truck... in pieces LOL. Early engine... 3 cam bearing head.....solid lifters but low comp pistons... so maybe a 1970? Needs work..... head gasket has been replaced but was blown between cylinders 2 & 3. So almost certainly a warped head.

·
Senior Contributor
1,599 Posts
Spent some time getting the cars organized, and the Garage is a mess. I found two GT's that needed saving,
Orange 72 and Black 71 """ I already have Two really nice GT's so I sold the Orange GT to a my best friends Son , Justin (26) ( like a Nephew of mine, Good Kid ) His also started a You Tube Theme Channel for his build project so stay tuned The Black GT runs Great, finishing up the gas tank last few days, also needs front calipers. Starts right up too., not sure what am doing with itt ,, has some rotten panels, but the floors are solid
At the moment am changing a Clutch on my 1984 Chevy Chevette,, (me and my Chevette) LOL is the cutiest little car 1.6Lruns Great purrs ,, and it's kinda reminds me of a Opel Kadett

DSCF4393.JPG
DSCF4396.JPG
DSCF4389.JPG
reminds Kinda Feels Good to be surrounded by Opel Gt's

Attachments

·
Registered
434 Posts
I really did not want to have to remove the master cylinder, for the 5th time this year, to get to that last bolt holding the driver's side rotator mechanism but in addition for the need to to check out the micro switch wiring I also had another motive. As I look back at the early years of "the restoration" I realize I got into a rush because I really wanted to drive this car again, however the old saying, "haste makes waste" really applied and I missed things and I missed other things. So this, Covid year, has been an opportunity, a busy year making up for and correcting some of those mistakes and some of those things that I just over looked or decided it was not necessary to do. So while I had the buckets out and the rotators out and everything dismantled I went a step further to fix something that was really starting to bother me. I have worked hard to have an appealing engine bay presentation and what you see below just did not fit. So I spent a little time to not only correct this but to prevent this from reoccuring.

A bit of buffing, then brake cleaner fluid to remove the residue and then a coat of clear coat so it won't happen again. Now its just putting it all back together and an eye sore has been removed and I am a step closer to Will I. Finish.

I am not going for the ultimate show car, that was never the intent, but when I see something like picture number 1, I am compelled to correct it. I have never been to a real large car show and only a handful of small ones, however I am looking forward to going to the next Charlotte, NC show, only 3 and 1/2 hours away, that is whenever it happens again - yes to show the car but mostly to meet some of you and to compare notes, stories, and cars in person. I mentioned before that I went to a small Opel gathering in 1994 I believe in the Richmond, VA area. While there were only around 8 cars there, mine was not among them, but with that said I say a GT that looked brand new and that is when I decided to restore my car.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Just curios when you do finish will you then be well I'm done?
Had plans to take the gt out tonight to see how the properly working headlights are looking BUT only a 10 percent chance of rain the man said and it all is dumping in my area. glad I started re staining the fence this morning and not this afternoon. EEHH weather reports It's really fake news

·
Registered
86 Posts
Well, it was back to the shop again for me today. Couple weeks ago I started hearing an unusual noise. Though it was the engine at first, but this engine is sound. Finally realized it was coming from underneath. Took it in for a look see. Turns out it was the catalytic converter, and as it turns out it was on its' last leg so to speak. When it came off it fell apart. So I had it bypassed with a pipe and inside that pipe were some notches along the inner circumference for baffling and now everything sounds great! Here's a look before and after.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
I walked by the opel this morning and felt sad because it will be at least 4 months before i can drive her again. Here in Illinois the DOT love the road salt. We haven't even had a snow yet and they have already sprayed salt on bridges, hills, intersections, etc.

·
Opeler
749 Posts
I finally bought a lift that will make life easier next time I do have to work on my GT or Manta. The EZ car lift (EZ CAR LIFT - FREE-STANDING USE-ANYWHERE CAR LIFT! FAST. SAFE. STRONG.EASY.) turned out to be the best solution for my limited space. It's fairly light weight so it's easy to move around and store, provides access to everything under the car as well as wheels, brakes, etc., plus it's a simple mechanical device. It can raise to 26" and is easier and safer than using a floor jack and jack stands IMHO.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Umm, that is a stock Opel muffler, not a catalytic converter.
For real? That might be good news as it makes me wonder, as bad a shape as that old "stock" muffler was/is, then perhaps the 70,000 miles on the odometer might not be 170,000 :cool:
I have a real muffler at the very rear with two tips someone added fairly recently.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,845 Posts
For real? That might be good news as it makes me wonder, as bad a shape as that old "stock" muffler was/is, then perhaps the 70,000 miles on the odometer might not be 170,000 :cool:
I have a real muffler at the very rear with two tips someone added fairly recently.
For real. That is a muffler, NOT a catalytic converter. Catalytic convertors weren't installed on cars until 1975 (and IIRC, only on California 1975 Opels), and weren't mandatory until 1981 in the USA.

And the dual tail pipe "real muffler" at the very rear is actually a resonator, NOT a muffler.

Before stainless steel exhaust systems became commonplace 10 to 20 years ago, exhaust systems seldom lasted more than 5 years or 50,000 miles. I highly doubt that muffler is original after 50 years

·
Registered
86 Posts
For real. That is a muffler, NOT a catalytic converter. Catalytic convertors weren't installed on cars until 1975 (and IIRC, only on California 1975 Opels), and weren't mandatory until 1981 in the USA.

And the dual tail pipe "real muffler" at the very rear is actually a resonator, NOT a muffler.

Before stainless steel exhaust systems became commonplace 10 to 20 years ago, exhaust systems seldom lasted more than 5 years or 50,000 miles. I highly doubt that muffler is original after 50 years
That's interesting. Then that might explain why the car seems kinda loud. The pipe they installed is also a resonator, which would mean that I don't actually have a muffler on this car.

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
2,130 Posts
That's interesting. Then that might explain why the car seems kinda loud. The pipe they installed is also a resonator, which would mean that I don't actually have a muffler on this car.
Yes.. I wondered if that would come up LOL

BTW, on your new lift.. that is pretty nice; I like it. Does it have any sort of locking devices that you put in place once it if raised? I'd not want to take a chance of something breaking while in the air and me under it.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I was just thinking the same thing. They are a bit pricey but I guess not in comparison to a 4 post or other anchored lifting devise

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
For what it's worth my son insisted in removing all of it and piping in a 2" glass pac straight to the back and a resonating tips so he could play and adjust the tone. I wasn't to graciously excepting this idea but our gt wasn't bought just for my satisfaction but his as well and he surprised me with how well it sounded to turn out

·
Detritus Maximus
2,566 Posts
Looks like your old muffler was missing it's support bracket and the lack of support allowed it to flex. That outlet pipe seems to have torn out, not rotted. the rear resonator also has a specific support bracket, so it might be worth taking some pics and posting to see if there is anything amiss.

·
Super Moderator
5,845 Posts
Looks like your old muffler was missing it's support bracket and the lack of support allowed it to flex. That outlet pipe seems to have torn out, not rotted. the rear resonator also has a specific support bracket, so it might be worth taking some pics and posting to see if there is anything amiss.
Here is the muffler bracket and the parts that make up the exhaust system. I see that OGTS is "out of stock" of the bracket, but often Gil (or Todd Martin of OU) have used parts available

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
2,130 Posts
Mmmm. the old muffler pix shows the donuts on the muffler, hooked around 'knobs' on the body. But, as well pointed out, the new resonator is not supported, and needs to be; good catch!

There was no separate support bracket like the OGTS part, on the original muffler; there were welded loops on the muffle body. And the OGTS part linked won't really properly clamp onto the new resonator anyway. You just need something to hang the 'donuts' on hooks on each side, and that can be a round rod bent around and tack welded to the resonator body, with hooks bent in each end. Below is a pix of one made from 5/16" mild steel rod for an Ascona for a muffler with no built-in hooks; any muffler shop ought to be able to rig this up. Take your old muffler pix to them as a 'guide'; you can get the donuts anywhere in various sizes and I would be surprised that a shop would not know how to get some.

Now they are going to just want to put a universal muffler hanger with a single clamp on the pipe and then drill a hole in the body and use a self tapping screw to hang it to the body. I'd personally not let them do that, and be ready to pay for some labor to do it right. Muffler shops are notorious for just slapping things in; most of their customers want a low price, not the best work. They will probably have to fit in the pieces a couple of times to get the donuts to hang snugly at the correct angle between the resonator body and the hooks. (Or maybe you can get the OGTS part and have them tack weld the the main strap under the resonator....if the OGTS bracket is rigid enough.. which I kinda doubt.)

FWIW, the new over-the-axle pipe looks to have been bent up in their shop and the new resonator looks a bit low so how that will all work up, IDK.

Attachments

·
Registered
86 Posts
Mmmm. the old muffler pix shows the donuts on the muffler, hooked around 'knobs' on the body. But, as well pointed out, the new resonator is not supported, and needs to be; good catch!

There was no separate support bracket like the OGTS part, on the original muffler; there were welded loops on the muffle body. And the OGTS part linked won't clamp onto the new resonator anyway. You just need something to hang the 'donuts' on hooks on each side, and that can be a round rod bent around and tack welded to the resonator body, with hooks bent in each end. Below is a pix of one made from 5/16" mild steel rod for an Ascona for a muffler with no built-in hooks; any muffler shop ought to be able to rig this up. Take your old muffler pix to them as a 'guide'; you can get the donuts anywhere in various sizes and I would be surprised that a shop would not know how to get some.

Now they are going to just want to put a universal muffler hanger with a single clamp on the pipe and then drill a hole in the body and use a self tapping screw to hang it to the body. I'd personally not let them do that, and be ready to pay for some labor to do it right. Muffler shops are notorious for just slapping things in; most of their customers want a low price, not the best work. They will probably have to fit in the pieces a couple of times to get the donuts to hang snugly at the correct angle between the resonator body and the hooks. (Or maybe you can get the OGTS part and have them tack weld the the main strap under the resonator....if the OGTS bracket is rigid enough.. which I kinda doubt.)

FWIW, the new over-the-axle pipe looks to have been bent up in their shop and the new resonator looks a bit low so how that will all work up, IDK.
I agree, the new resonator needs to be supported. The original support brackets are still in place, so I would think a simple piece of wire, such as drop-ceiling wire or a strap fitted with donuts, could be attached to both sides to support the resonator. Because I agree, as solid as the piping is all the way to the back, it would be good to get it better secured and supported.
Thanks for the insight, Rallier.

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
Drop ceiling wire will rust away in no time!
May as well use a coat hanger and just call it a day.
The coat hanger will last longer.
:rolleyes:

881 - 900 of 911 Posts